I may drive my 99 every month or so. If I let it set over two weeks the battery runs down. Is this normal? I have a red top Optima in it that is about 3 years old.
Not normal for a two week sit if battery fully charged when sitting commenced. Maybe a month or more may run a C5 battery down. C5 owners may want to verify this.
I agree. I had a cheap Napa battery, which would go for weeks and weeks between cranks with no problem at all.
Has it had these symptoms for all the time you've had it?
Ya know I'm pretty sure someone down there in Kentucky will drive it for ya a bit more often if ya run an add in the local paper.I may drive my 99 every month or so.
...What really must be looked at is the DRAW of electricity from your system.
29 milliamps is the normal maximum allowed electrical use when keys are out of the ignition and the doors closed.
So, with that in mind if you are over that your battery, no matter what make, will go dead.
Check your draw and then let us know.
Sorry folks, I've got to disagree with those who think it's normal for a battery to just go dead from sitting for a few weeks under normal conditions.
A Corvette's electrical design is no different that any other car out there and the batteries aren't either. My Z06 hasn't been started in at least 4 weeks and just to prove a point, after reading this thread, I went out to the garage and it started right up, no issues or codes at all.
I think the batteries go south in some Corvettes sooner than others due to their lack of use. A Battery Tender may help from the standpoint of internal activity or keeping the battery "active". Most of the electrical anomalies associated with a Corvette are due to bad batteries than anything else.
I think Paul (C4C5Specialist) is correct. Even with the keys out/ignition off and doors closed, a C5 will continue to draw some current. The key is how much current is Cessna's '99 drawing? If it's more than the 29 milliamps Paul refers to, over even as short a time as a few days, that may be enough to drain a battery.
I couldn't agree more. If there is something drawing current from the battery it will eventually drain it. I'm just not sure what would normally be on, with the key out, in a Corvette that would draw that much current under normal conditions.
A couple of weeks ago I left the interior light on in my truck for 4 1/2 days and even though it did start up it was borderline. I took it out for a spin, 30 minutes or so, and it was enough to recharge the battery.