Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Battery Tender Use

UncleBuck

Corvette
2004 LeMans Commemorative Convertible
New owner here. Any issue with the Vettes electronics if I use a Battery Tender while I am gone for a few weeks? I am planning on leaving the battery connected to the car. I had a friend tell me he burnt up a regulator one time by leaving the battery connected.

Your going to get a hundred different opinions .GM recommends disconnecting the battery for long term storage (6 wks or more) A good quality tender should not be a problem ,in fact it's important to keep C5/C6 batteries up and in good repair .You don't need to keep the tender plugged in all the time ,6hrs a week will do the trick.

I keep a tender on mine all the time, when it's up on the lift. I haven't had any issues...yet.:D Welcome aboard UncleBuck

Re: Battery Tender

Yes first technical post. Thanks for the input. I didn't think it should be an issue.

I keep mine plugged in and attached all winter long, Oct through April, no issues.

Welcome to the site; just make sure it is a battery tender and not a battery charger. The former will do okay. I keep them on my vettes when in storage, usually 6 months without disconnecting them- no problems.
Barrett

Re: Battery Tender

Yes it is a "Battery Tender" brand. Used it for years on my Harley. Thanks for the reassurance!

Battery Tender

I keep my Vette plugged in most of the time just to keep the battery up. Days, weeks, months. I don't disconnect the battery. However, I use the state of the art CTEK tender. No problems on my Optima Red.

I've been using a product called Battery MINDer Plus. It's comparable to the Battery Tender, but has an additional feature that reconditions (de-sulphates) the battery as well (see comparison review at [FONT=&quot]Battery-Web.com - Battery Charger/Maintainer, Which is the best?[/FONT]). It also has provisions that allow a "quick disconnect" lead to be attached to the battery terminals rather than conventional alligator clamps (the latter of which are also supplied with the unit).

No issues whatsoever, and the battery is always fully charged.

I keep mine plugged in and attached all winter long, Oct through April, no issues.

Same here...never had a problem.
Remo:cool

New owner here. Any issue with the Vettes electronics if I use a Battery Tender while I am gone for a few weeks? I am planning on leaving the battery connected to the car. I had a friend tell me he burnt up a regulator one time by leaving the battery connected.
I am using an 800mA Battery Tender (Waterproof 800) on my C4 and it works great. The Battery Tender brand can be connected to the battery all the time with no issues (not all brands of these devices can be left connected when AC power is disconnected or a drain will be imparted on the battery - ironically).

The Battery Tender is a few dollars more than the competition, but it is a good design and worth every penny to get the most service out of any kind of 12 volt battery.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom