Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery voltage

bwing

Corvette
03 Z06,66 coupe(sold),99 Porsche Carrera(sold)
Can someone tell me what the battery voltage should read when the ignition key is just turned to "on" without starting the engine.

The DIC is reading: 11.3 volts. Should it be more?

I'm writing again because I first wrote that I was getting a dash message when I first turn on the ignition. It reads, "Remove Key, Wait 10 Secs". I've taken it to the dealer who thought it might be a security problem and I've heard from CAC members that it might be a low(bad) battery. I'm still getting the message but only occasionally. I think it could be an emergency problem if I ever had to start the car and drive off quickly. The way is it now, if that message pops up, the car will stall in less than 5 secs unless I turn the ignition off and wait. BTW, there is a loud click coming from the steering column when turning the key on then off and yes, the locking plate has been removed.

Thanks, Brian

You have a battery ready to take a Dump!!! I replaced my battery in my 03 about a year ago!
I had to replace vett boy's in his 03 about 3 weeks ago!!
The battery should have a good strong 12.5 -13 volts!!
:upthumbs

Thanks you guys for the information. Guess I'm off to replace the battery today. I've read on CAC that Optima batteries are good but does it make any difference if a Die Hard were used? I'm guessing the difference in price is around $40 so if the Optima is the choice then that's the one I'll get. If Optima, does anyone know the the model/series #? I've also seen both red tops and yellow tops at the local Costco. I think one may be a marine battery.

I've read that Optima's are good batteries for daily drivers but dont do well if they sit for any length of time (5+ days). Once they drain down to far they have trouble holding a charge. Take this info with a grain of salt. I just replaced my battery a few weeks ago and spent about a week researching batteries. I did not buy an Optima.

I've been running with the Red top Optima for two years now without any problems. Out here heat kills batteries fairly quick. I also use Optima in my boats, I like the fact that it will not spill all over the computer just bellow it.

I've been running with the Red top Optima for two years now without any problems. Out here heat kills batteries fairly quick. I also use Optima in my boats, I like the fact that it will not spill all over the computer just bellow it.

Isn't the Optima battery like all the others with a acid resistant case that can crack like the others? Just asking because I've never purchased an Optima.

Never opened one but from the specs Optima uses different technology in the way they put their batteries together. First there are no submerged plates, instead there are wound layers with gel instead liquid. This is a real lame explanation, read their web site to find out more. As for the performance I can vouch for that. I've used them for years in my boats, and let me tell you, the bouncing and pounding they receive would shake a Corvette apart. Long term storage has not been a problem for me either, From personal experience I can highly recommend them. Costco has a great deal on them too.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I purchased an Optima from Costco, cost $129. Took about 15 mins to install and didn't have a memory problem when disconnecting the old battery. So far I haven't seen the "Pull key, wait 10 secs" but I start sweating when I turn the key. :ohnoes

I ever had to start the car and drive off quickly.

In order to keep your get away car reliable :) check into Column Lock Bypass :D.
There is lots of different opinions about it but it is a cheep insurance that guarantees you will not get stuck (for the column lock issue anyway). I had mine for 2 1/2 years and no issues. It's something you wont to due before you have a problems.

The DIC is reading: 11.3 volts. Should it be more?

Check it with a voltmeter. Mine was reading in the high 11's on the DIC, but my voltmeter and the battery shop's voltmeter put it more like 12.3 volts.

Check it with a voltmeter. Mine was reading in the high 11's on the DIC, but my voltmeter and the battery shop's voltmeter put it more like 12.3 volts.

Thanks again. I stopped by my buddy's auto shop before I went to look for batteries and he checked the battery out for me and it was reading 11.1 volts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom