Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BBK, TPis, or?

Achilles

Corvette
1982 CE, 03 MY Z06
I'll be ordering a new 52 mm TB soon and was wondering which one seems to work best...BBK, TPis, or?

I notice the 52 mm TPiS TB claims 1000 cfm and the BBK claims about 750 cfm. I don't really think I need 1000 cfm for my application so I was leaning towards the BBK. Any problems with the BBK that I should be aware of. Also I notice Holley has a TB as well. Any info on this? And there are some stock pieces on e-bay that have been machined to 52 mm. Anyone have any exp. with those?

I installed a 52mm BBK, No problem.
My old one was deteriorated, and worn.
I also had to replace the air duct, had a little trouble fitting it onto the new throttle body, but got it on anyway.
Tom.

I don't really think any motor making less than 400 HP really needs a 52mm TB. The 48 flows plenty well enough to support gobs of HP.

I don't really think any motor making less than 400 HP really needs a 52mm TB. The 48 flows plenty well enough to support gobs of HP.

You're probably right, but I don't see any aftermarket 48 mm. Mine is worn out and really don't want to pay to have it rebuilt.

You're probably right, but I don't see any aftermarket 48 mm. Mine is worn out and really don't want to pay to have it rebuilt.

Okay, I see. Yeah, it wouldn't be very wise to buy a junk yard 48 or even rebuild a 48. In that case, it would be best to go 52.

Just curious: how much are they asking to rebuild the TB?

Just curious: how much are they asking to rebuild the TB?

I don't know. I never checked into it. I have seen new (in box) 48 mm TB's on e-bay selling for $350. Seems like a lot to pay for something that is going to eventually develope the same problems that I'm facing with mine.

I have the BBK 52mm on my LT4. Works well w/ my setup...no real negatives to report. My only advice would be, as w/ all TB's, keep it clean...including the IAC.

Edmond.
Hope you don't mind me asking.
But was curious as to how you like your B&M Short Throw Shifter??
Was it easy to install?
Where did you purchase it?.
Tom.

I would contact David Koldos and have him rebuild your stocker. For less than $200, you would have a 52mm TB with bearings on shaft.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom