Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Be Cool: Common Pitfalls For The C5 Owner, And how To Avoid Them

Patrick - Nice thread - how about adding one more item - how we are to act during the "cruise" part of the Cruise Fest since you are organizing it. I would assume obeying the speed limit, allowing other cars to pass and get into our line (they of course do not qualify as "cool") as a matter of courtesy; don't want a ricer or mustang owner in an accident because they are stupid and in the wrong lane. The newspaper headline would read that a corvette caused the accident - definitely not cool.

When I was in the CCKC (Corvette Club Kansas City) in the mid to late 60s, our protocol for cruises was that the first vette to the intersection where a left turn was involved, would block the intersection and allow the rest of the caravan to get through, then join them at the end of the line. I don't know if I recommend this for the 2007 cruise because the other drivers don't seem to be as willing to watch the corvettes go by. In the past, we would get waves of admiration from the blocked vehicles. Now we get a different salute - and there are possible road rage consequences. So I assume that corvettes missing the turn will just have to catch up and try to reassume their rightful position in line.

As to save the wave, I've been doing this since late 1960 in my C1. My wife says I even wave when I'm not in the corvette, its just a habit. Probably do it in my sleep.

On a negative note, as you are well aware of, the snow will never melt in Colorado and I will never get either vette out of the garage in 2007. Will have to attend Cruise Fest in my 4-wheel drive blazer. Also, I wear a hat when the lids are off because of the sun burning effect. Of course, the hat is a red C4 or C5 baseball style cap, depending on the car.

Remo be Chill'en

Patrick - thank you for the "coolness" refresher coarse. I hadn't realized just how "uncool" I had become. I've signed into a "coolness" clinic where I will resides for the next three weeks. When I've reagained my "coolness" - I'll contact you. Until then please remain cool.
Remo:cool
QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

Remo-
There is nothing quite as "uncool" as overmedicated saliva dripping from the chin of a Corvette deprived man. Perhaps when spring arrives and you break out the Lingenfelter enhanced C5, there will be hope for you. :chuckle

On a negative note, as you are well aware of, the snow will never melt in Colorado and I will never get either vette out of the garage in 2007. Will have to attend Cruise Fest in my 4-wheel drive blazer. Also, I wear a hat when the lids are off because of the sun burning effect. Of course, the hat is a red C4 or C5 baseball style cap, depending on the car.

Not to worry about the caravan details- our local planning committee is on it, and we have a bit of an advantage technology wise. Everyone will have maps, and all the caravans will have someone on point leading the way, and someone in the 'caboose' position bringing up the rear in terms of stragglers, and they will be radio coordinated. Obviously, obeying the speed limit will be a message we underscore to all the caravans.

Don't worry about the snow melting. I predict green lawns and pothole free roads by Memorial Day! Your Vettes will have sunny skies and warm weather for CruiseFest.

The Coolness Quotient concept anticipates the dangers of sunburn when going topless. Baseball caps are permitted. Just don't wear the baseball cap backwards.

Patrick - thank you for the "coolness" refresher coarse. I hadn't realized just how "uncool" I had become. I've signed into a "coolness" clinic where I will resides for the next three weeks. When I've reagained my "coolness" - I'll contact you. Until then please remain cool.
Remo:cool

Remo,
Your annual Corvette separation was one of the prime motivating factors in why I drafted this refresher. Follow the steps in this guide, and you and your Coolness will be reunited in time for the arrival of Spring.

Just remember to wipe off your chin. Jim is right about the overmedicated saliva image- a definate Coolness encumbrance.

-Patrick

But....it's more aerodynamic that way!

Bill, you clearly did not read "Be Cool," because in Part 1, it demonstrates why wearing a baseball cap backwards is a Coolness no-no. Besides, the thought of someone who goes by the screen name "GeekInAVette" giving us editorial comment on Coolness Quotient factors just seems a bit incongruous.
:D

-Patrick

Patrick,
Something tells me you've been spanked by the gas filler door! :Buttslap

That account was just... too descriptive :L

I would much rather be spanked by the door, then have the other, which has happened to me, you go to close the door and the latch is not working, so there you are in your nice "El Cheapo Corvette," and have to open the rear deck, and yank the lanyard in order to close your door. Hopefully that works, if it does not well you can say you are waving with the gas filler door as you drive away. ;) :rotfl

So I guess getting the Corvette out a little too early in the year before the driveway was completely dry (becuase you couldn't wait any longer) and getting a little mud on it isn't cool?? Did that on Saturday. How about getting the Convertible out on a 38 degree sunny day and taking a 40 mile drive around all of the back roads with the top (and windows) down while wearing a wool hat, a coat and my winter driving gloves?? Did that yesterday and got lots of waves from everybody - didn't see another 'Vette though.

Kevin

Bill, you clearly did not read "Be Cool," because in Part 1, it demonstrates why wearing a baseball cap backwards is a Coolness no-no. Besides, the thought of someone who goes by the screen name "GeekInAVette" giving us editorial comment on Coolness Quotient factors just seems a bit incongruous.
:D

-Patrick

Oh but I wasn't commenting on being "cool"...but being aerodynamically efficient. Ya know in a vert wearing your hat backwards HAS to be worth an extra 5MPH! :chuckle

Besides...I don't have a C5 so the "cool rules" don't apply... :finger

:L

The section about our friends in law enforcement contains a lot of truth. A clean, well maintained car, no attitude, some courtesy, and respect will go a long way with the LEO's. It can't hurt, anyway.
Amen!

And remember, gentlemen: a comb-over fools nobody. ;)
I had my uncle who used to do the double comb-over with a kind of top knot on the top. It was... interesting... :ugh

Great stuff, Patrick!!

-Mac

On the subject of going topless in your Corvette-
Now there's some who I wouldn't mind seeing topless, either in or out of their Vettes but most of you can keep your shirts on.... please... :ugh

-Mac

Now there's some who I wouldn't mind seeing topless, either in or out of their Vettes but most of you can keep your shirts on.... please... :ugh

-Mac

Since I mostly resemble your current St.Patrick's Day avatar on my best days - I think I'm best suited in the latter group. :boogie

Hmmm maybe...but I'm sure Patrick would deduct some serious coolness points, more so than a backwards hat even!

Bill

Bill, I'm not revealing any secrets here when I say that by your own admission, your "Coolness Quotient" is expressed as the square root of a negative number. It would take Steven Hawking to begin to calculate the appropriate deducts from your imaginary cool.
:gap

Mac, the "Encounters With Law Enforcement" section was written knowing that you are both in that career field, and have a Corvette of your own. So you get the whole Coolness Quotient concept. Which makes it great to see you find that section has some significance and truth to impart to Corvette owners. :upthumbs

Now if you can only help me explain the importance of "cool" to GeekInAVette. Despite all my hard work to educate him on how important "cool" is to the Corvette experience, Bill's Corvette Cool is off in a parallel Civil Engineering alternate universe of imaginary numbers.

-Patrick

Bill, I'm not revealing any secrets here when I say that by your own admission, your "Coolness Quotient" is expressed as the square root of a negative number. It would take Steven Hawking to begin to calculate the appropriate deducts from your imaginary cool.
:gap

Mac, the "Encounters With Law Enforcement" section was written knowing that you are both in that career field, and have a Corvette of your own. So you get the whole Coolness Quotient concept. Which makes it great to see you find that section has some significance and truth to impart to Corvette owners. :upthumbs

Now if you can only help me explain the importance of "cool" to GeekInAVette. Despite all my hard work to educate him on how important "cool" is to the Corvette experience, Bill's Corvette Cool is off in a parallel Civil Engineering alternate universe of imaginary numbers.

-Patrick

Hawking might want to discuss black holes and P-branes. ;LOL

Hawking might want to discuss black holes and P-branes. ;LOL

:boogie

You know, I'm starting to develop a threory that just as matter has an equal and opposite form (anti-matter) and that instant destruction occurs if matter and anti-matter come into contact, Bill is sort of like that.

GeekInAVette is the "anti-cool." All of his coolness electrons (positrons?) spin in the opposite direction. The composition of his coolness molecules are the mirror image of the composition of any other Corvette owner's coolness molecules. And coming into contact with Bill could mean both you and he would be instantly vaporized as your opposing coolnesses cancel each other out.

Scary theory, actually, given how close he lives. :ugh

-Patrick

Hmmm...we may be stumbling upon a yet undiscovered method of super efficient propulsion...a coolness/anticoolness injection reactor....

So Patrick...with my clip-on sunglasses and when I get tags that read "GEEKMBL"...am I cool yet, or still sitting on the imaginary axis?

:eek:hnoes

Bill

Hmmm...we may be stumbling upon a yet undiscovered method of super efficient propulsion...a coolness/anticoolness injection reactor....

So Patrick...with my clip-on sunglasses and when I get tags that read "GEEKMBL"...am I cool yet, or still sitting on the imaginary axis?

Bill

Only you, Bill, could develop the theory of the Coolness Warp. We'll have to use "GeekInAVette" as the unit of measure for your warp field.
;LOL

And if you think finding a way to warp coolness takes you off the imaginary axis, I have bad news for you...

:cool
-Patrick

Bill

I just have one question. How did Patrick become the judge of what is cool and what is not? I have met the man, and I am just baffled... :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom