Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bead/Sand Blasters?

76ers

Corvette
1976 Blue Coupe
Anybody bought a small bead or sand blaster recently? Need something to tackle those small parts during the "76 Project Car" restoration. I've heard of everything from walnut shells to glass beads, used as medium, but I'd rather hear from someone who has actually bought and used one. Size, model, medium, anything you can think of would be appreciated. We have a Harbor Freight here, which has a couple of real cheap (emphasis on cheap) table-top models, but I'm reluctant to purchase without some feedback.

Rainy weekend coming, and chores are done, so I expect to pull the front and rear bumpers, and complete the interior removal this weekend. I will post more pics as soon as I get the interior completely stripped. Can you say "ambitious"? Can you say "rust"?:D

Ricardo

I bought a Skat-780 TL off ebay for $350 deliveried. Nice cabinet but could use another light inside. I use coarse and medium glassbead in it to clean up steeing boxes, T arms, and differentials.
I'm happy with it but you may want to get the one with the better vaccum. I use a shop vaccum now but they have a much better one($$$)

Richard,
If you don't have any luck finding some used equipment, try Northern Tool. They have some inexpensive blast cabinets and they also carry the medium. We have one over here in Lewisvile, not sure if they have one over on your side of the metroplex.
They have inexpensive engine hoists and the other stuff you are looking for.

www.northerntool.com

Good luck.

I use a small generic "Liquidation word" blast cabinet and a 10 gallon pressure fed blaster . They are fantastic for cleaning metal parts to bare steel but they sure do use a LOT of air. I usually have to cool my 5hp/60gal with a big fan and give it plenty of rest periods. Also sand blasters don't like moisture in the air lines.
I plumbed in my compressor with 50' of 3/4 inch with drop offs and filter. I've just been using Silca sand for my blasting that consists of Brackets, rear end housings etc
Theres nothing better!

68Roadster said:
Richard,
If you don't have any luck finding some used equipment, try Northern Tool. They have some inexpensive blast cabinets and they also carry the medium. We have one over here in Lewisvile, not sure if they have one over on your side of the metroplex.
They have inexpensive engine hoists and the other stuff you are looking for.

www.northerntool.com

Good luck.

I've seen their ads in the weekend paper. Apparently there is one almost on the way to work. Never been by there, but it sounds like a good opportunity. Thanks for the input!

howard said:
I use a small generic "Liquidation word" blast cabinet and a 10 gallon pressure fed blaster . They are fantastic for cleaning metal parts to bare steel but they sure do use a LOT of air. I usually have to cool my 5hp/60gal with a big fan and give it plenty of rest periods. Also sand blasters don't like moisture in the air lines.
I plumbed in my compressor with 50' of 3/4 inch with drop offs and filter. I've just been using Silca sand for my blasting that consists of Brackets, rear end housings etc
Theres nothing better!

Good point. The compressor I have been looking at is 3.5HP with a 21 gallon tank (comes with full filtration dryer). I have been trying to figure out if it's going to be big enough. Have to check the CFM requirements of everything I buy carefully. Thanks for the response and advice.

I buy from Graingers but you can find it from local sources. Do check the air CFM usage. I'm tied into a 50 hp rotary screw compressor so that's not a problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom