Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Repair

clok1966

Corvette
87 Black with gray Interior
Dash Repair on the cheap

My dash was cracked in several spots, many tabs where gone and some peices where actually missing and the dash rattled horribly when i drove. So this weekend I attmpted to fix it. After tearing it all apart i bought some Sig CA-Medim glue. You can get this stuff at model plane stores. I have a friend who flys models alot and have used the stuff on some high stress plastic repairs and it holds well. I bought some fiberglass cloth-medium. This is also at the hobby store. If I did it over I would use the heavy (medium was pretty light stuff as its for planes). This stuff is pretty easy to work with, its a glue much like crazy glue, but it has a accelerator that makes it dry almost instantly when its sprayed on the glue (acclerator is in small spray bottle). I took a dremel and roughed the areas around the repair so the CA Glue has something to grip. I also did 99% of my repairs ont he back side so it wasnt noticble. I also went to the local Office Supply store and bought a Plastic wastepaper Basket, this was used for broken tabs and missing spots. its slightly thiner then the original plastic. I cut peices and fit them, if it was too thin, i just put two pieces on top of each other to get the correct thickness where it mattered. once the pices where cut and tacked with glue in place, i put fiberglass cloth over it and then dripped the glue on it (it wicks through the cloth easy) and then used the acclerator on it, instantly cured and dry to touch. this project took me about 10 total hours, take dash apart, cut and shape peices (my dash was bad) then glue and so on. I let the stuff cure overnight (not sure i needed to but it was dark anyways when i finished). I installed it all Saturday morning and drove the car all day, the dash was pretty close to rattle/sqweek free. I wasnt sure it was worth it, but I can say haveing all screws holding and the plastic ridgid again my car is almost quiet inside. I did have several screws that where missing and I replaced those too (that was probebly 50% of the battle right there). I have no idea how this will hold, but right now im very happy I did it. Unfortantly now my insdie is quiet enouhg i can hear all the rattles outside, so thats the next project. i wish I had taken some pictures now (Will on my next repairs). here is a link to the glue I used. The thin, medium and heavy is the viscosity, i think medium would work on most repairs as it flows well, thin may be to runny, and heavy is ahrd to get to wick throuhg Fiberglass cloth very well. There may be better stuff out there, but my total cost was about $10 for glue and $4 for the wastepaper basket.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexText/FSIGCA010.html?E+Sig

Clok

Very resourceful! Pictures, we need pictures.

I applaud you for taking the time and being so smart about this repair. I will bookmark this thread so I will know where it is.

SAVE THE :w

Well i wouldnt recomend this on a prestine looking dash, but if yours is older and cracked or broken (the lower corner on mine was broken pretty bad from knee's/feet whatever hitting it) this would be a temp option till you bought some new stuff. I'm thinking I will fill the cracks with plastic putty and paint it all. But I wanted to see if the repairs held up first, see if they cracked with use. (WOW WGN news has story on vette's right now, talking about if people are buying less (12% less they say))

I will be reapiring the centere console when i get my new shifter knob and if i can find a button, I will take some pictures then. Thanks for the encouragment!

Clok

Ok now you've got me thinking....covering mine with Carbon Fiber! I dont know whether to thank you or curse you :eek:hnoes
:w

Yes there is some OK looking carbon fiber "stickers" not sure thats the word to use. I had a Fiero with the dash redone in carbon fiber sticker like stuff. it actually looks just fine, pretty good in fact. Its been in the car for 5+ years now and is holding up well. I think the trick to it is carefull prep work so it sticks well and also putting it on and taking your time to get it on so there are no gaps, wrinkles and so on. I do see a guy on E-Bay that sells kits with Carbon fiber or wood looking stick on stuff that is actualy thick, this stuff from the pictures looks pretty nice. I'm thinking the reapairs and something along what your thinking would make a pretty good looking repair. The dash parts arnt that horrible expensive, but it does add up quick. I did the model glue repair sorta as a test to see how it would hold up and to save some money if it does work out. I'm ammazed how it got ride of my sqweaks and rattles (well not completly) and a dash thats installed without sagging or missing screws looks much better, maybe its just that i know i fixed it, but when I look at it now it looks pretty good.

Clok

Hmm how do you work with real CF? is it a cloth of a sort? I'm pretty clueless on it, so i have no idea. I used to be an Upholstery worker (for about 10 years, many years ago). I have plans to do some dash renovations on mine to hide my spiderweb cracks and so on.. maybe this is an option for me too.

Clok

Yes Cf is its basicly a woven cloth. Finished products are covered with resin. Some places sell the cloth (cool for headliners/seats) and others sell finished sheets. The interesting part is that you could actually make an NEW dash completely out of CF by creating a mold and then forming as if you were making a fiberglass part. From what I hear its easy to do but hard to do WELL. If you buy the sheets and apply heat they can be bent/formed. I'd love to try it but its so expensive and easy to mess up!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom