Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Column Lock Fix for a Manual C5 (Cheap and permanent, and harmless)

02VetteCoupe

Corvette
2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)
To anyone who is having the column lock issue in a manual car with the lock plate removed (as per the recall) to do this!

Go to your local Tuner shop, and have them disable the circuit and set the fuel cutoff at 255 mph. Disabling the circuit will stop the status reports that cause the error and the fuel cutoff. If the locking plate is gone, the circuit doesn't do what it's designed to do anyways, therefore the circuit isn't needed. This cost me 40 bucks and it literally took like 4 seconds for him to change the tune to say that the column lock was unequipped and change fuel cutoff to 255 from 2. This is what should have been done with the recall, but how will the stealerships make money if you don't go back to them 4 times for the same problem? I have had no issues with column lock since. I started the car cleared the codes that used to be there, and none have come back. And if you get the pull key wait ten seconds, because of the key resistor pellet or any other reason, you can still drive.

I had the dealer do the TSB a few years back and that solved the problem. Apparently, the first TSB didn't solve the problem, so GM re-engineered the TSB and it works.:)

If you have the correct battery in your car and it is properly maintained, the problem wouldn't occur. Batteries don't last forever. ;)

I recently picked up the AC Delco 78PS so it is correct now, and I replaced my OPS the hard way (I can't just yank the intake in my parking lot at the apartment lol). Worst idea ever. This is the second replacement. During my deployment, my girlfriend's dad took it in for the OPS and I specifically told them Borg Warner S4202. It went out 2 weeks after I returned, and when I replaced it, I pulled out a garbage ass aluminum one. A**holes lol. Everything is perfect now (with the Borg Warner of course). Good to be back in the states. Driving the Vette with a constant reading of 80psi is better than staring at Vettes on the internet on deployment.

Last edited:
I recently picked up the AC Delco 78PS so it is correct now, and I replaced my OPS the hard way (I can't just yank the intake in my parking lot at the apartment lol). Worst idea ever. This is the second replacement. During my deployment, my girlfriend's dad took it in for the OPS and I specifically told them Borg Warner S4202. It went out 2 weeks after I returned, and when I replaced it, I pulled out a garbage ass aluminum one. A**holes lol. Everything is perfect now (with the Borg Warner of course). Good to be back in the states. Driving the Vette with a constant reading of 80psi is better than staring at Vettes on the internet on deployment.

You didn't do the relocation? That EOP sensor will go out again you know. I replaced mine with fancy ones before but so far, the cheapo Auto Zone one has lasted longer than any of them.

oil_gauge1.jpg

You didn't do the relocation? That EOP sensor will go out again you know. I replaced mine with fancy ones before but so far, the cheapo Auto Zone one has lasted longer than any of them.

oil_gauge1.jpg

I know they are high fail. But the Borg Warner one is made of brass and is heavier and beefier than the aluminum one. Everywhere I read said they had no problems with this model after the repair. I didn't do the relocation because I just wanted to make sure this was the only problem, and not masking another worse issue. Anyways, I'm not saying its impossible to break. I'm really saying "please don't tell me you've broken the Borg Warner model" lol

I know they are high fail. But the Borg Warner one is made of brass and is heavier and beefier than the aluminum one. Everywhere I read said they had no problems with this model after the repair. I didn't do the relocation because I just wanted to make sure this was the only problem, and not masking another worse issue. Anyways, I'm not saying its impossible to break. I'm really saying "please don't tell me you've broken the Borg Warner model" lol

Ewww... bad news bro'. I went through 2 of them after the repair, within 2 months. I ended up buying an el cheapo model from Auto Zone and put it in. So far, it's been working fine for over a year now. Go figure.

Ewww... bad news bro'. I went through 2 of them after the repair, within 2 months. I ended up buying an el cheapo model from Auto Zone and put it in. So far, it's been working fine for over a year now. Go figure.

Shiiiiit....

I know! After all the research and spending 45+ dollars on the fancy sensors, a $23 cheapo sensor is going strong. :W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom