Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Video: Video: C5 Corvette 'Service Column Lock' Message Fix

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
  • Well my 2001 Corvette Z06 got the dreaded "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" message after sitting for a while during my summer vacation to Cancun and having the battery die. After changing the battery I first got the "PULL KEY WAIT 10 SEC" message, then after doing as told, "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" came onto the display. The steering wheel was still easily tunable, so this Vette must have had the recall service done by its previous owner; however my fuel would cut off at 2 MPH since the cars BCM must have thought the steering was locked. After hearing from a couple guys on corvetteforum that the LMC5 from ComplianceParts(DOT)com is the way to go, I decided to give it a shot. The install was quite simple, and so far it has fixed the fuel cutoff, as well as both messages.

what do I do now.

the steering column lock nightmare, I have a 1999 C5 that I cant get the fuel shut off to de activate, got the steering unlocked, plugged in module and still have message service column lock. Took to dealer and had recall done, still cant get above idle, new battery, no help. could the BCM be bad and the car still starts? dont know what to do. Dealer wanted to put on new parts until they found the problem, no thanks. having it towed back home to fix myself. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plugged in module? Not a very helpful description.

sorry, I purchased a bypass kit that unlocked the steering but nothing else, still having issues with the fuel shut off. after installing the kit took to the chevy dealer and they put the factory update in it but the same thing happenedfuel shut off didnt deactivate.all i can do is idle for a few feet and then kills the motor. any suggestions what else could be the problem?

99.9% of all CL related issues are low voltage so make sure the battery is up to around 12.5 or higher with the car not running.

Next, order and install an LMC5 to address the CL issues. There are no dealer "fixes" that work as well as a CL bypass unless they actually rework the lock late. The LMC5 does not require you to undo any previous "fixes". They have a great video on how to install it. Also if you have a C5 with a CL relay then you can remove/disconnect it also with the LMC5. One more relay out of the system is good.

Pull your DIC codes and post them so we can tell if there is something else restricting car motion.

Could be a VATs related issue so clean your key resistor with a clean rag or use some electrical cleaner on it. Might also try another key to see if it helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom