Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best induction kit for TPi

M

mikeyc4

Hi everyone,im looking to install an aftermarket induction kit on my 86 copper mettallic,butas i live over in the UK no one supplies them,so can anyone tell me which is the best kit,and what kind of increase in bhp could i get,and where would be best to get them from?

Thanks in advance

Oh boy – This is a can of worms that can come to blows between members.
  • How much money do you want to throw under the bonnet?
  • How much work are you willing to put into the project?
  • What do you want from the car after the mods are done?
A port and polish job with a hotter cam, roller rockers and long tube headers will get you up into the 300 HP categorie. At UK prices this will cost you about $2000. After that the TIPS Big Mouth setup will give you another 50 or so HP without killing the low end torque. Add another grand to the price tag.

The Super-Ram is claimed to be a better solution than the Big-Mouth but it has more pieces than a Jigsaw puzzle of the Queens Coronation. I would have gone with the Super-Ram but I got the Big-Mouth really cheep.

Then there is the Mini-Ram. This is the best L98 intake going but you are looking at changing all of the characteristics of the motor. You will be close to 400 HP but at much higher RPMs and you will be at the limit of the best Ported and Polished Vette heads. To really enjoy the Mini-Ram setup you should go to a deep rear end ratio. (3.56 minimum)

With any of these mods you will need a larger throttle body and have a custom chip burnt. It could take several tries to get the chip right so do not go cheep. Finder a Tuner who will re-burn the chip until it is right. Over the 350 HP mark you will need larger injectors as well.

With the hind sight of building a 450+ HP L98 if I started over I would just Super Charge it, drive hell out of it until the bottom end let go and then stick in a GM 383 Crate engine. I could go to Benidorm for a Short Brake and still have some $ left from the difference.;)

Wow!! im only looking for air filters,k&n etc,but thats one useful reply!!!

Assuming you are not talking about a supercharger, or anything along those lines...What I am using is a Forced Air Induction. It requires cutting a bit of the front bumper (under hood), and is mounted in the front license plate space. It really does add seat of the pants performance improvment. You can buy it from www.zip-products.com the part number is PM-368 and the cost is $419.95 US.

You will hear people warning you not to use them as if water enters the induction system you could get a water locked engine. That would only occur if you were to drive through a flooded area that reached your front bumper/forced air induction opening. I have used mine for a couple of years with no ill effects.

If you want something Like Gary has but still want to keep the front Corvette plate, then you could go with what I am running which is a Breathless Ram Air kit. Yes it is somewhat cheap plastic, but it is a great improvement over stock look and functions great. Only thing you have to do is cut part of the radiator shroud with a template they provide to you. http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.724

My recommendation

For an earlier L98 like yours, I'd go with SLP's air intake, and couple it with a Big Mouth Air Dam (BMAD). SLP's unit requires some minor cutting, but is quite easy to install. I have one of these on my '85. I just put a BMAD on my '92 and it does run slightly cooler, even with the stock thermostat. I can tell you with confidence that it will compliment any cold air system as well.

Here's a pic with the BMAD installed...
IMG_3243.jpg

I have one early L98 air intake setup from SLP in stock still at the old price level of 159.99. The Big Mouth, I have special forum pricing of 139.99 on these, available in black or white. Color-matching is available, but at an additional cost. Shipping is additional. I'd be happy to hook you up with these, so let me know.

Mickeyc4 - What part of England do you live in? Spent some time in Manchester a few years back, had a great time! Also did some traveling to London, Liverpool (big Beatles fan), York, and up into Scottland. Great Trip, didn't see a sinlge vette the whole time I was there!

Mickeyc4 - What part of England do you live in? Spent some time in Manchester a few years back, had a great time! Also did some traveling to London, Liverpool (big Beatles fan), York, and up into Scottland. Great Trip, didn't see a sinlge vette the whole time I was there!

Im near birmingham,a place called Tamworth approx 25miles from birmingham,and about 100 miles from manchester,to be honest,ive not seen another corvette on the road over here,except for car shows,they are so very rare,and nobody know much about them,thats why this website is a great idea!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom