Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best replacement brake system

Would it be inappropriate to ask what that cost? My 82 has been struggling in the brakes department. Very soft pedal and pulls to the right. I've bled the system multiple times at this point and just can't seem to make any progress. I've read in multiple places that you'll eventually just have to replace basically everything. I've seen a few of these sets that can run into the $2K+ range. I don't need to get that expensive with the whole thing. I've looked at the Wilwood package and they have a couple of options that aren't terrible. I'm also in Texas so, I wouldn't mind maybe chatting with the same guy that hooked you up.
Thanks in advance

Would it be inappropriate to ask what that cost? My 82 has been struggling in the brakes department. Very soft pedal and pulls to the right. I've bled the system multiple times at this point and just can't seem to make any progress. I've read in multiple places that you'll eventually just have to replace basically everything. I've seen a few of these sets that can run into the $2K+ range. I don't need to get that expensive with the whole thing. I've looked at the Wilwood package and they have a couple of options that aren't terrible. I'm also in Texas so, I wouldn't mind maybe chatting with the same guy that hooked you up.
Thanks in advance
Hi Eric. I don't mind at all. Yes, the conversion was quite expensive. I am too old to do the install myself, so that added an extra $900 to the cost. I replaced EVERYTHING. Master cylinder, braided stainless brake lines, powder coated calipers, slotted rotors and high performance pads. Parts were right at $2200.00 I am very happy with the upgrade. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Mike

Last edited:
mljones,
Thank you, sir. I just bit the bullet and got the Wilwood calipers (I just got the silver ones), they come with pads and the braided lines and EBC rotors. I got the black rotors with the slots too. I didn't get a MC yet. I'm debating because it's not all that much more. I'm $1,400 into it so far but, I'll save on installation because I like to do that stuff and I'm out of work right now. Gotta get the vette back together before I find another job :) Ordered all from Summit. Caliper packages are already here. Rotors had to ship straight from the manufacturer and they should be here by Monday. I figure I've got a couple more days before I decide if I wanted to get a MC and just have that done too. I like that black Wilwood but, I worry that it will fit just as well as my OEM.
Thanks for your input!

mljones,
Would you mind snapping a pic of your Master Cylinder and posting that?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Eric. I don't mind at all. It wouldn't let me add the photo here, so it is in the original post.

mljones,
Thank you, sir! I just got a little jealous but, I think I should have everything by Monday/Tuesday next week and hopefully we'll get that rig back on the streets.
What kind of cleaner did you use on your wheels?

mljones,
Thank you, sir! I just got a little jealous but, I think I should have everything by Monday/Tuesday next week and hopefully we'll get that rig back on the streets.
What kind of cleaner did you use on your wheels?

Well, like I mentioned earlier, I'm an old guy so that means that I do things OLD SCHOOL! Back in the day, if we had some rust on our chrome wheels or bumpers, we just used a little Coke on them. It worked great. But with wheels, you also need a degreaser. So here is the SECRET recipe. Put 4oz of Coke and 2oz of Dawn dish soap in a bucket of hot water. Mix it up good, then apply it to the wheel with a scrub brush, soft bristle. let it set on the wheel for a minute, then rinse with a strong spray of water. Good luck!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom