Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best tar remover?

If you have a lot of tar using the high $$$$$$ removers will be very expensive. You will need several bottles.
A gallon of kerosene will remove tar faster than any of the removers and cost a lot less. Car polish is a petroleum based product. The kerosene will not harm your paint just wash after you get the tar off and apply wax or sealant.
Years ago I worked for a trucking company that hauled asphalt in tanker trailers. At 350 degrees asphalt can be pumped and when the loader run the truck over and the asphalt cools the truck was covered with a thick coating of tar sometimes a quarter inch thick. We used warm fuel oil and it would dissolve it. Wash and wax and the truck looked like new again. The stuff sold in a can is for a few spots from the way you describe your car you need something better for your cleanup. K1 will be your best option.

WD-40, or mineral spirits.

Man i would not use gas on a vettes paint. I used it on my Duramax's paint cause im a roofing contractor, and tar got everyehere, but unless use you use a tiny drop and get it off completley right now it leaves a trace, and ruins the paint.

They used to sell this stuff called Lestoil, ("its so easy when you use Lestoil" - (remember?) and I used to use it to clean my hands rather than gas or diesel, but it dissolves tar and has lots of soap to dissolve the solvent in it so it was safe to use on paint. Really havent seen this stuff in a while, though, could be cause i dont do the shopping, but if you can find it I would say thats a better choice than WD or yikes- gas

That sucks you got that crap all over your car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom