Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Big Big problem!

Achilles

Corvette
1982 CE, 03 MY Z06
I took the door latch mechanism out of the passenger door on my 82 to do some adjustments. Everything worked fine after I put it all back in, door opened smoothly...untill I locked it!

Now the door won't unlock and I can't open the door. I've tried using the key and trying to pry levers with a screw driver. Still won't open.

I was able to pull the inside door panel off with the door closed...not easy.

From what I can tell, the lever that is the locking mechanism rocks up and down. This lever is not making the full movement upwards, which I assume would unlock the door.

Don't really know where to go from this here.

Any ideas?:mad

Get the door unlocked and open. Remove the door panel and repair the lock and latch mechanism.

Detailed information maybe in the factory service manual.

I had lock problems on my 71 and I finally had to remove the lock/latch assembly and soak it first in soap and water to remove the dirt then soak it in solvent to remove grease and the water. Then I blew it off with shop air, relubed various parts and reinstalled it. That fixed a lot of problems I had.

Now with your 82, you have power locks and perhaps a different lock mechanism, so I can't promise that everything I've said applies to MY82.

You might be missing a clip somewhere. Check the drivers side and compare the mechanism. It also could just need to be lubed up. Spray some in there and work the mechanism with your hand.

Thanks for replying. I figured it out from another post. When I adjusted the rod that extends down from the outside latch, I extended the adjsting nut too low on the rod. This was putting pressure on the latch mechanism and would not allow the lock lever to release. I popped the clip off the rod with a long screwdriver and then popped the rod loose from the lever. Once the pressure was off the lever I was able to open the door from the inside handle. Just an adjustment error on my part!

Good to hear, it can be strenuous at times to fix your mistakes but you always learn from it. I've had to fix my own many times lol.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom