Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blown head gasket on my 1988 L-98

dwsjr50

Corvette
1988 Charcoal Grey Coupe
I am positive the head gasket(s) are blown if that is the correct term to use.I have not seen any water on the driveway. Looking at the rpo codes it has aluminum heads. I added water/antifreeze to radiator again today about 1 1/2 quarts. Or the intake gaskets? Is there another test for troubleshooting this problem. This is my first Corvette and have owned it for two weeks. I am not a novice by any means but am stumped by this problem. There is a good chance I can do the work if it is not to serious.
Thanks
Donald

dwsjr50 said:
I am positive the head gasket(s) are blown if that is the correct term to use.I have not seen any water on the driveway. Looking at the rpo codes it has aluminum heads. I added water/antifreeze to radiator again today about 1 1/2 quarts. Or the intake gaskets? Is there another test for troubleshooting this problem. This is my first Corvette and have owned it for two weeks. I am not a novice by any means but am stumped by this problem. There is a good chance I can do the work if it is not to serious.
Thanks
Donald
Don't rule out heater core till you check it out!!:upthumbs

Are the fluids mixing? If you've added that much water, has the oil level gone up or have you seen a white exhaust?:W

Coolant loss

Just my 2 cents, Heater core ,check rug pass. side. Old timers trick was to smell exhuast, if it smells like A/F (sweet) thats where your coolant is going, out of the pipes. How does it run, idle, etc? Usually the O2 sensors get a glaze on them when blown gaskets occur causing drivability problems. Check oil for contamination. Muddywaters

Head gaskets

I have not checked the heater core or the O2 sensors. I was out for a drive so will let it cool to remove the O2 sensors. Will check carpet also. The car is running very well except for an occasional idle miss. So far as I can tell there is no water in the oil. jUst changed oil last saturday

Be sure to get a cooling system pressure check before you spend a lot of cash on other repairs. I had a persistent leak for three years and was always fearful it was the manifold or head gasket. Turned out to be a cracked hose in an unviewable place.
LOL

Places to check...

For the heater core, check the passenger side carpet (you'll also start to notice a new smell in the interior if it's been leaking awhile).

Another common leak point is the lower intake manifold corners - VERY common on TPI engines. Look at the front corners in particular.

If you suspect the head gaskets, check the oil and look for a "milkshake" look to the engine oil (on the dipstick and inside the oil fill cap). A good test is to use an engine block tester (if the blue fluid turns yellow, it indicates the presence of combustion gases in the crankcase - not a good thing).

The best thing is to pressure test the cooling system first, then follow with a block test before condemning anything.

Good luck!

I just went through this exact same thing this weekend. I really thought my head gasket was blown because I was loosing coolant like crazy. So I took it to my mechanic this weekend. He pressure tested it and the whole nine yards. Found out it was a spring clamp on a cooler line that was leaking. Just cross your fingers and hope its somthing small. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help

I am going to have the cooling system pressure tested. I have checked the passenger side rug it seems to be dry. Next will be the intake. I have checked and changed any hoses that could be the problem.

When my headgasket blew, I had very,very thick white smoke out of the exhaust, and horrible overheating, bubbling, boiling radiator fluid. The car drove so terrible I didn't drive more than 10 mph home. When I finally pulled the head, I couldn't believe the gasket still looked 98% OK, just a little corrosion on the gasket lip facing the cylinder wall caused the problem. In my case you couldn't mistake "a broken leg for sprained ankle". The gasket is now a trophy hanging on the garage wall.

Time to also check compression on all cylinders. If the head gasket is gone, one cylinder or 2 joining cylinders will be low.
Ken

Using a block tester is a foolproof way to determine head gasket failure. Sometimes the gasket fails without getting coolant in the cylinder bores, so you won't have the telltale signs of white smoke and poor driveability. The fluid changing color will tell you if there are combustion gases in the cooling system (changes from blue to yellow). Compression testing can help find blown head gaskets, but usually when that occurs, the aforementioned symptoms (wihte smoke, etc.) are also present.

One other thing to consider when pressure testing the system is that the intake gasket can leak on the underside (no visible leak showing) when under pressure. Make certain that the system holds pressure when testing it.

The key is to properly TEST the cooling system before you start throwing parts at it.

Head gasket

The vette is in the shop being checked out for fluid leaks. I am having the cooling system checked out also. I will let you all what turns up. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Great news

I just got back from the shop. It turns out the radiator is the culprit for the loss of coolant. 150.00 for a stock replacement. Whew!!!. The bad news is the tailshaft bolts came loose from the transmission leaving an oil leak. That is a major job but is fixable. Exhaust system and x member must be removed to fix. I found an excellant shop who has a Level 1 gm technician. His specialty is corvettes but will work on all model of gm. He quit the local Chev dealer about four months ago to go with a local shop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom