Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Borla

Jerrys95vette

Corvette
C4 1995 Corvette Base
I’m contemplating putting a Borla exhaust system on my 95 C4. I'm generally interest in the sound and any performance benefit would be a windfall. Will I get a pretty good sound (compared to current stock exhaust) without headers?
Any comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you kindly to all.

I’m contemplating putting a Borla exhaust system on my 95 C4. I'm generally interest in the sound and any performance benefit would be a windfall. Will I get a pretty good sound (compared to current stock exhaust) without headers?
Any comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you kindly to all.

I've got them on my 93 Convertible and they sound fantastic, they are a bit louder especially when the top is up but I don't drive it much when I need the top up.

Does your 93 have headers or just the exhaust?

It was only the exhaust from bottom of stock headers to back.

Thought of putting headers on but the cost is silly for a mere 10hp gain if it was being run in competition then maybe.

I had flowmasters. They had a drone in the car at hiway speed!! Terrible. Loud stereo even ear plugs would not fix it. I put stock mufflers on it. No drone!!! No noticeable loss in performance, picked up 2 mpg.

Turbo mufflers

I had flowmasters. They had a drone in the car at hiway speed!! Terrible. Loud stereo even ear plugs would not fix it. I put stock mufflers on it. No drone!!! No noticeable loss in performance, picked up 2 mpg.

I also disliked the drone. I put Sumitt turbo mufflers on and was pleased with the sound under throttle while staying pretty quiet while normal driving.

When I bought my '85, the prior owner put on a Borla exhaust(and he worked for Mitsu). Sounds great!! Very intimidating at low speed and creeping around. When I get to highway speed, the sound goes down and very livable. Car has 60K on it now, bought it at 41K miles.

When I had my 94 and wanted to change exhausts, at the time, everyone complained about the drone associated with the Borla systems. So I went with Corsa. I loved the sound of the Corsa exhaust. A friend here on the forum had Borla on his C5Z and it sounded awesome. I followed him from Kansas City to Bowling Green, so I got to hear it.... a lot. :L When I moved to the C5 I didn't consider anything else but Corsa. As I recall, my friend did talk about the drone. I loved the Corsa on my C5. When I purchased my C6 it had the Borla Stinger axle back on it. I immediately started thinking I would sell it and install a Corsa, because I figured it would drone. To my surprise, it doesn't have much drone, and at highway speeds it sounds very docile, inside the car. ;) If it has drone, I don't notice it, and my wife hasn't complained (about the drone anyway :D)

Now the questions are; Has Borla changed the design to eliminate the drone? Did they change the C4 and C5 systems? Is this an inherent thing for C4s and 5s? I cannot answer those questions, all I know is that the drone with the Borla system on my C6 is controllable. Or should I say tolerable? The biggest difference between my C4 and C5 as to my C6 is the transmissions. C4 and C5 were automatic trans. The C6 is manual and I can control the RPMS. If I begin to hear (really feel) a drone starting, I just shift to another gear and change RPM range. With the auto trans I didn't have that kind of control.

By the way, I'm sticking with my Borla, I love the deep throaty sound as compared to the higher pitch of the Corsa.:thumb

Borla cat back

I've had the Borla catback system on my 92 vette for 10 years. At first I experienced a bit of drone because the oem mufflers are so quiet. That drone is now undetectable as I'm familiar with the sound. Interior conversations are normal. The system connects directly to both left and right catalytic converters, merge into a centerline "muffler" and exit to the left and right mufflers/resonators and exit the back with chrome Lt-1 tips. The sound is perfect and sounds classier than the others I've heard. Flowmasters' sound like a glass pack from the 60s. The Borla is also stainless steel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom