Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

bought new spark plugs today!

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
Got a set today down at the local Pep Boys for $5.99 each. They're the Bosch Platinum +4's. I've read positive things about these plugs and figured that I would try them out and find out for myself.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to install them until Wednesday so I'm in the process of looking for a set of wires as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on a nice set of spark plug wires?

Thanks,
Edmond

i went with msd wires on my 92. changed opti, water pump, plugs, egr valve, all the filters, etc, so i can't tell you if they alone helped. msd claims that there wires have less resistance than anyother brand. don't know if this is true or not. they do work just fine, great fit, red so they ad a touch of color. the only problem was they didn't fit the factory wire looms this didn't bother me as the looms were brittle and needed replacing anyway. robert

If you spend some time researching who's behind most of the wires on the market today, you'd be amazed that one manufacturer is responsible for most of them, and that manufacturer is Taylor/Vertex aka Taylor Cable Products, Inc.

_ken

Moroso Blue Max on both of mine but I don't know if their the best or not. I don't have any problems but the way I drive it I don't think it would matter much.

I've had Stock (went south), MSD (looked like a minature thunder storm in there) Sent them back! , Mid americas Two sets the last ones just got too old and started leaking (arcing all over & missing), I just installeed a set of Accel 8.8mm universal fit. So you have to be able to cut and install ends yourself. These are working fine.
So original 42,000 miles
MAD 2 sets last one went 60,000 first one went 50,000
MSD 50 miles?
Accel Anybodys guess but only $29 at pep boys

Gentlemen,

With new spark plugs, I should expect a better/cleaner spark and therefore less emissions and better fuel efficiency right?

Is it assumed that when you change the plugs, you also change the wires? I'm assuming that because you're doing the work in that area anyways.

Wires will age as does anything else, and their functionality will diminish in regards to voltage transfer. You will also encounter the boots/terminals pulling apart, the insulation (rubber) will deteriorate, they get burned by exhaust manifolds, etc.

You should change your wires every fifty thousand miles or thereabouts.

_ken

I run MSD 8.5's but I hear good things about Taylor and Moroso.

Found these on eBay...

Please give me some feedback about them. They sold for $21.00 plus $7.00 for shipping so if I bought them, it would come out to less than $30.00. I have copied the description for the scrutiny of the Corvette junkies here:

Item Description- This auction is for one brand new set of Borg Warner spark plug wires. Borg Warner is one of the top brands and is officially licensed by Nascar. This wire set has a the stock core and is silicone jacketed to resist oil. The distibutor boots are engineered to seal out moisture. The wires are 7mm and are custom fitted to match original equipment. Part number is CH869SP. Picture is not of exact part number. Please view my other auctions for Rapid Fire Spark Plugs for this car!

Application- This set of wires will custom fit- Chevrolet Corvettes 1984-1991.

Bigger is better

7mm isn't as good as 8mm. I've changed enough wires to know but not enough to have a favorite brand. Besides, most of the wires are made by one manufacturer anyway. Bigger is better.
--Drew:w

Good choice on the plugs. I'm running the same with a set of Taylor pro wires. Good fit and they fit in your stock wire looms. They should not cost more than $45 or $50.:upthumbs

Bullwinkle,
I'd go with a better quality wire than the Borg on E-Bay. I'm running the Accell 8.5mm, replaced all looms for correct fit and they look great. Bigger IS better in this case. Taylor,MSD are all quality wires.

go with the taylor spiral pros. They come in sizes up to 10.4 mm. I just put the 10.4 on the 69. I have been running the 8 mm on nearly everything else. You can get them from Summit. They are rugged and come in bright colors. The 10.4 looks like wires on steroids! You don't need anything that large, but it will look cool.

Taylors are pretty easy to make up if you get the custom cut kind.

Wires do break down and will make a car run bad over time. The 7mm would be the factory OEM replacement style. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing special about it either.

I just changed mine over the winter. I got the following wires:

TAY-74209 Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro Wires for 1985-1991 L98 Corvette (red)(Plus NGK Spark Plugs)

These wires were already made up, just plug them in. They fit perfect and came with the different
angle wire for cyl 6 to go around the oil dip stick. The set also came with 8 NGK plugs. I paid something like $58.00 to my door for everything.
Two notes, first the wires are a pain in the butt to get routed the same way they were in there. Second most of the wire looms will break when you screw with them, I got all new ones, makes for a better job.
I got the wires and plugs from the following, I am not sure if they still have the plug deal.

http://www.SpeedDemonMotorsports.Com

Good luck.

Yes Ken, Taylor Vertex.....excellent wires.....widely used in racing. I use them myself. very nice . :cool

10.4mm

Chris,

I didn't doubt you on those wires looking like they are on Steriods, but WHOA!!!:eek Massive!

(Picture in the L88 Air Cleaner Thread)

Anthony

Try this link, if it will open. www.magnecor.com

Has good info concerning wires. I've got a set on order, but haven't received them yet.

Will report back after installation. (Have a set of Denso Iridium plugs ready to install also!)

Re: 10.4mm

Stingray74CC said:
Chris,

I didn't doubt you on those wires looking like they are on Steriods, but WHOA!!!:eek Massive!

(Picture in the L88 Air Cleaner Thread)

Anthony

A good friend of mine lives and I am sure will eventually die by his favorite phrase "If some is good, more is better!"

Thank God for small favors

69MyWay said:

A good friend of mine lives and I am sure will eventually die by his favorite phrase "If some is good, more is better!"

Luckilly there are a LOT of people out there like that. Luckilly for me as I make my money off of other peoples misery (some of the time) and stupidity (most of the time).

I have a choice now...

So I called up two auto parts stores and got prices for a set of plug wires:

$34.99 for a set of 8 mm Borg Warner's
$39.99 for a set of 8 mm AC Delco's

I have the Bosch +4's sitting on the garage shelf and I'm pondering which wires to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edmond

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom