Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Bleeding

B

Bug8

Changed the master cylinder out on my '73. Did quite a bit of bleeding, no pedal. I did bleed the m/c prior to the wheels. I am using a pressure- suction bleeder on the calipers.

Whats the sequence? Any tricks ?

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Tacoma

Bug8 said:
Whats the sequence? Any tricks ?

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Tacoma

Here you go.

Driver Rear Inner
Driver Rear Outer
Pass Rear Inner
Pass Rear Outer
Driver Front
Pass Front

Good luck,
Jeff

I have a 72 and my Dad and I bled it and bled it, and we couldn't get any pedal. I talked to my mechanic, and he told me for some reason those years of Corvette's are very difficult to bleed. What he told me to do was get a couple bottles of brake fluid, open all the valves up, and just keep pouring it in. I did that, and I let about 3/4 of a bottle run through it. Then we sealed them off and performed the standard bleeding procedure starting from the brake the farthest from the master cylinder (Passenger rear). After that I had a good pedal.

That is my experience bleeding my brakes.

Hope that help,

Matt

Great, thanks for the tips. I will try that next. I have already used several bottles of fluid, a few more cant hurt !!!

A pressure bleeder is the REAL solution to Corvette disc brake bleeding - makes it a one-person ten-minute job, and you don't have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Gives you a rock-hard high pedal every time, with no hassle; best sixty bucks you can spend on a tool. :)

www.motiveproducts.com

BleederTank.JPG

:beer

Hey, I read that other post about the speed bleeders... where do you purchase those puppies! I've been bleeding my brakes for two flippin' days and I'm tired!!

Thanks!

JohnZ said:
A pressure bleeder is the REAL solution to Corvette disc brake bleeding - makes it a one-person ten-minute job, and you don't have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Gives you a rock-hard high pedal every time, with no hassle; best sixty bucks you can spend on a tool. :)

www.motiveproducts.com

Hey John - when you use this do you just open up all the bleeders and let this thing pressure the system from the top or??? I went to the website and couldn't find any explanation on how it works! Do you open up bleeders on both side of each caliper too or???

You pump up pressure in the bottle to 10-15 psi, then open the bleeders one at a time until you get clear fluid, in the same sequence posted above; just like pump-and-hold the pedal, except you don't need a helper, you have constant pressure, and you don't have to monitor the fluid level in the master cylinder. Have never seen a Corvette I couldn't bleed in ten minutes with this setup.

They also make a handy vented bleeder bottle you just carry with you as you go around the car - no fiddling with jars, bottles, caps, hoses, etc.

BleederBottle.JPG

I always thought you were supposed to bleed the farther most brake first - so the passenger rear would be first then you move closer. I noticed that is not how you described above..... :confused Are vettes different or? All the other chevies I've always bleed farthest to closest....

This is the sequence I was referring to:

Pass Rear Inner
Pass Rear Outer

Driver Rear Inner
Driver Rear Outer
Pass Front

Driver Front

I had used a bleeder like this one when I was working on my vette last winter,seemed to work well,juust had to keep an eye on the master cylinder!!

I also have the Motive brake bleeder. I bought it several years ago on John Z's suggestion. Like John said it makes bleeding your brakes so easy.

Dave

John that's EXCELLENT!!! Snap-On's is like a BILL-YUN BUX!!!

I was going to get one when I was playing with silicone fluid.....then I was going to get one when I just wanted to bleed it myself more frequently....

....now I'd like one set up for some other higher BP stuff like the Wilwood fluid (or that fluid they show on that site.)

Did you get the GM specific one or one of the universal ones? I have enough different vehicles I'd probably do one of those.

Thanks again for posting that!

The Motive bleeder is the ONLY way to go. I just bought one and used it for the first time last night to bleed my '67 brakes after I did a 4 caliper reseal job. It became so simple, it was funny. And all those years I diked around with gravity bleeding, calling the wife to pump the brakes while I loosed/tightened bleeders.

TWINRAY said:
The Motive bleeder is the ONLY way to go. I just bought one and used it for the first time last night to bleed my '67 brakes after I did a 4 caliper reseal job. It became so simple, it was funny. And all those years I diked around with gravity bleeding, calling the wife to pump the brakes while I loosed/tightened bleeders.

OK OK!!! SOLD!!! I'll order one today!!! I'm now all giddy and can't WAIT to bleed the brakes with this new gismo!!:D

John,

which model Motive bleeder did you get?

Thanks

ernie d said:
John,

which model Motive bleeder did you get?

Thanks

Model #0252 with the #1105 adapter. I didn't care for the chain-and-J-bolt arrangement that clamps the adapter to the master cylinder, so I used a 6" length of 1-1/2" square aluminum tubing and a 6" C-clamp instead, as shown in the photo I posted further up in this thread.

This thing works GREAT!! Oh my GOSH! The hardest part was making sure it was secured to the master cylinder. How easy! I only gave it about 3 lbs of pressure and that is all it took. Badabing badaboom and voila! Rock hard brakes! Thanks all!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom