Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Inspection

MM-C5

Corvette
2013 Cyber Grey Grand Sport Coupe
Could someone please tell me how to inspect my brakes to see if anything needs to be replaced?

What do I look at and what are the indications?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

Your pads have the clips that will squeel on the rotors when the pads are worn out. You will want to replace the pads and rotors before they get too close to the rotors. The stock pads have close to a 1/2" of pad on them, so look at the pads and see how close the clips are away from the rotor surface. If they are less than 1/16" away, it's time for new ones.

If they are pulling to one side or vibrating it may indicate warping of the rotors. Always replace the pads and the rotors at the same time.

Pete -

Thanks for the info. No sqeeling, pulling to either side, or other symptoms in the brake peddle. However, I’ve had to do brakes on my Blazer fairly frequently it seems and want to be ahead of the game with the Vette.

Question – Why do you have to replace the rotor? Seems that would be very costly.

Also it occurs to me that with all the computerized sensors on these C5s that there would be sensors on the brakes — are there?

Thanx

T

Hi MM-C5 -

One way to guage the wear of the pads is to watch the fluid level in the reservior. As pads wear, more fluid is needed to push the pistons of the calipers outward. The fluid level will drop as the pads wear.

I have almost 38k miles on my Z06, and the pads are still within the wear limit.

I like to pull the wheels off occasionally to clean and inspect everything.

best regards -

mqqn

mqqn said:
I like to pull the wheels off occasionally to clean and inspect everything.

Wanna come and check my Z06 brakes, Andy? :D
Hey, it'd give you an excuse to make another long ride on your motorcycle.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:
Wanna come and check my Z06 brakes, Andy? :D
Hey, it'd give you an excuse to make another long ride on your motorcycle.

:w
-Patrick

Hi Patrick -

Anytime! I love to cruise in your neck of the woods (and mountains...).

Actually, the cost of fuel has given me all the impetus I need to ride the 45-mpg moto-machine.....

best regards-

mqqn

MM-C5 said:
Pete -

Thanks for the info. No sqeeling, pulling to either side, or other symptoms in the brake peddle. However, I’ve had to do brakes on my Blazer fairly frequently it seems and want to be ahead of the game with the Vette.

Question – Why do you have to replace the rotor? Seems that would be very costly.

Also it occurs to me that with all the computerized sensors on these C5s that there would be sensors on the brakes — are there?

Thanx

T
MM-C5,

The rotors do score over time, and putting a new set of pads only would reduce the friction area until the pads are worn in, which could take a while. Meanwhile your braking power would be significantly compromised unti they wear to match the rotors. I haven't seen anyone that is resurfacing Vette rotors when they do a brake job. Most brake shops don't have lathes that will fit that size. I just don't think it's a good idea anyway, too easy to warp a thin rotor.
I put drilled and slotted GM rotors with ceramic pads on in the spring due to a warped stock rotor, and for $334.00 not including my time, it was a good investment.

Yeah, you would think with all the sensors a Vette would have one for the pad wear, but they don't.:ugh

mqqn said:
Hi Patrick -

Anytime! I love to cruise in your neck of the woods (and mountains...).

Actually, the cost of fuel has given me all the impetus I need to ride the 45-mpg moto-machine.....

best regards-

mqqn
Amen. I just pulled the carbs off my Kawasaki and drilled the plugs out of the idle adjustments this morning to get it working good again. Stalling at red lights was starting to bug me.

Thanks Pete. Now I understand the whole equation. I am not quite that mechanically inclined so any brake job on mine would have to be done by GM or maybe Goodyear (?) and that looks like it would cost a bundle!

Like I mentioned above, I’ve had to replace the brakes on the Blazer a couple of times. The first time they were in pretty bad shape so I want to stay ahead of the curve with the Vette.

Thanks again

T

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom