Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"BRAKE WOES"

JCL

Corvette
1979 "383" TORCH RED- 2000 Torch Red "FRC."
I'M SURE THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE,BUT NOT FROM ME! I'VE GOT BRAKE LEAKS ON THE LEFT FRONT AND RIGHT REAR. DON'T KNOW IF EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE REPLACED OR ONLY PART. I GUESS THE QUESTION(S) ARE JUST THE CALIPERS OR ALSO ROTORS REPLACED AT THE SAME TIME.(54000 MILES ON ROTORS,BUT NOT GROVED) ALSO ANY INPUT ON WHERE TO PURCHASE FROM. ECKLERS, MID-AMERICA,ZIP, OR CORVETTE CENTRAL,OR MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE. ANY VIEWS!! THANKS,JCL

Driving Habits?

JCL
IMHO it depends on your driving habits. If you are an avid AutoCross Racer I would suggest going with the grooved Rotors. If you aren't into Racing than don't waste the money. If your old Rotors can be turned true they would be good enough.

The Calipers can be fixed with kits. Our Supporting Vendors would be happy to help you out or <A HREF="http://www.vettebrakes.com" TARGET=_blank> VetteBrakes</A> also the ones you've mentioned too.

The Caliper rebuild is pretty straight forward. Might need to get a little hone for your 3/8" drill. This is a good time to clean the entire system too, from the master cylinder and all the Brake Lines too.

BudD
:w

JCL, As far as the rotors, there are a couple of things to watch far. First, make sure they are not grooved(by brake pad failure)as long as they are smooth they are OK,if, second, they need to be above the recommended thickness, if they are too thin they well over heat the brakes and you will have brake fade, or worse yet, they will come apart. And third they need to have very little run out, or they need to be straight. Some times, in Corvettes especially, they are always needing to be rebled, but there are no leaks, the calipers will suck air into them through the piston and seal. Don't ask me how, they just do it. So, if the rotors are not too bad, I'd reuse them,(however if you need new ones I can help:)). As far as rebuilding your calipers, I have done a few, for my own cars, I would never do one for a customers car, unless it was due to setting along time and they already had been sleeved. The ones I done cost me about $15.00 per caliper and took about an hour a piece. Some worked well, while others leaked worse then when I started, therefore I would never recommend rebuliding them. Also, when replaceing the calipers, I recommend replaceing them all(unless one or two are obviously already new)and replace all brake hoses and, as Bud said flush the system.....Hope this helps......Steve

Unless you have done a brake rebuild before, I would suggest buying rebuilt calipers as they are not very expensive. Almost any quality vette supply house will have good rebuilds and you will be able to rest assured that you will be able to stop when you need to. I used Rik's corvette unlimited brakes which I think are rebuilt by Dr. Vette for $65.00 each. No problems after two years.

Regards,

Jim

"BRAKES"

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS ON THE BRAKE PROBLEM. HADN'T FORGOT ABOUT ANSWERING,JUST BEEN THINKING WHICH WAY TO GO!!! GOING TO GO THE SS CALIPER ROUTE AND TRY TO USE THE ROTORS.(STILL LOOK GOOD, AND FOR THE MILAGE I'M PROBABLY GOING TO DO IN A YEAR THEY WILL BE FINE) JCL :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom