Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BREAKING: Graham out at Corvette Assembly Plant; Bob Parcell of CAMI in

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" width="250"><tbody><tr><td>
news_front.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>Paul Graham announced this morning that he is leaving Bowling Green Assembly on Oct 1 to take the position as plant manager of Arlington Assembly and will be replaced by Bob Parcell of CAMI Automotive.

CAMI Automotive is a joint venture between Suzuki and GM located in Ingersoll, Ontario Canada.

Bob Parcell was President of CAMI

CAMI automotive builds sport utilities, including the Chevrolet Tracker, the Suzuki Vitara, Suzuki Swift, Suzuki Sidekick, the Geo Metro, and Chevrolet Equinox.

The announcement of Bob Parcell taking over at the General Motors Assembly Plant in Bowling Green has not been announced to employees yet.

CAMI workers enjoyed the success of the Cash for Clunkers program as optional overtime shifts were added to meet increased demand.

"It's quite a relief, especially since we were anticipating having to work enormous amounts of overtime. The numbers showed they could not fulfil the demand even with overtime,"
said CAW spokesperson Mike Murphy.

With the recent launch of the Terrain, a crossover utility vehicle, CAMI president Bob Parcell said the plant was lucky to have

"two very hot vehicles in the marketplace".
Information via @Corvettemuseum

• Admin
Local GM plant getting new manager

By the Bowling Green Daily News
Monday, August 24, 2009 12:01 PM CDT

The General Motors Bowling Green Assembly Plant will have a new plant manager after the current manager transfers this fall, according to Eldon Renaud, president of the UAW Local 2164.

Bob Parcell, current president of Cami Automotive in Canada, will take over as the local plant manager Oct. 1 after current manager Paul Graham transfers to a plant in Arlington, Texas, Renaud said.

Graham declined comment until plant officials meet with employees.

Parcell began working in finance with Pontiac in 1981 and mainly has worked in finance since then. He has worked with electric and hybrid car divisions and has been manager of a GM plant in Missouri, Renaud said.

Graham has been manager since January 2008 when he took over from Wil Cooksey. Before coming to Bowling Green, Graham transferred from the Fairfax Assembly plant in Alabama where he was assistant plant manager.

The local plant has been temporarily closed the majority of the summer as the company works to revamp itself.

Source: Bowling Green Daily News

Hopfully the quality control will improve!

I don't think it'll be any loss, after looking over my 09 coupe & seeing how dismal the fit & finish is compared to my 08 coupe, there is lots of room for improvement!

I don't think it'll be any loss, after looking over my 09 coupe & seeing how dismal the fit & finish is compared to my 08 coupe, there is lots of room for improvement!

My 2009 was made in August 2008 and seems as good as our 2006, except for a couple of rattles. But more recently I talked to someone who had just been on the plant tour, he said worker morale was pretty low and an unusual number of cars were tagged for rework at the end of the line. If true, it would be interesting to know if the Plant Manager was a factor.

I have not encountered any build/assembly problems with my '09 that was off the line in May. Great car.
Best regards,
Charlie

Still a fan, expecting a come back of some sort!

Not sure if this is good news or not but at least they are still keeping the plant in Bowling Green; that in itself is encouraging :thumb Just keep them rolling down the line, curious to see what a C-7 will be like ;shrug

Bill :w

Welcome to Corvette Action Center

I have not encountered any build/assembly problems with my '09 that was off the line in May. Great car.
Best regards,
Charlie

Hey Charlie not sure if I have welcomed you to the group or not, so if not welcome aboard. You might want to post in the new members section for a group welcome in the event you haven't :beer

Bill :w

• Admin
attachment.php

CAMI President Robert Parcell

QUESTION & ANSWER: Parcell's goal: Landing new business for plant

Dan Westell
Automotive News
June 5, 2006 - 12:01 am ET

Robert Parcell spent the past 25 years in various manufacturing roles with General Motors before becoming president of CAMI Automotive Inc. in January. Parcell, 44, last month discussed CAMI's challenges with Special Correspondent Dan Westell at the plant.

What major challenges do you face?

We've got to figure out how to set the plant up for the long-term future. We have to earn our new business, just like any privately owned company would have to earn its business. We don't have rights to the next (Chevrolet) Equinox, the next (Pontiac) Torrent, the next (Suzuki) XL-7. So we need to position ourselves today to be able to go after that next generation of models in the future. Something we've got to continue to work on is to get 2,600 (employees) involved, actively involved, in running this business. We've still got people sitting on the sidelines in both salary and hourly. We need everybody pulling on the rope, making those small improvements.

Is CAMI different from other GM plants?

The team member involvement, the whole CAMI production system, the business-plan deployment process is totally ingrained; this process where we track each and every major metric and will have action plans around everything. That's totally ingrained in the processes here, on the floor. The kaizen, advances in continuous improvement, is done at a team level. That is more of the Suzuki kind of culture.

Plant managers have to make what the head office assigns. What can you do?

What you can influence as the plant manager is the quality level and the cost of the vehicle. Our cost structure is very favorable. And our quality level in the J.D. Power scores … they'll be good numbers.

Is this good or bad.

Just re-read Graham's interview in Vette back in 2007 when he took over from Wil Cooksey. GMI grad, never owned a Corvette, moved around to a few plants and spent most of his career in trucks. Where Wil Cooksey was a part of the Corvette mistique, Graham seemed in the interview to try to anaylze Corvette ownership, but probably never actually got it. I'm not sure he understands why the Corvette is important to owners and fans so maybe this is a good thing. I hope the next guy works out better.

I just want to know why ???? Why such a short term at BG. Did Graham ask for the out ?? I smell something bad.

I see that Parcell's career has been primarily in the "financial" sector. The business must succeed, but I've seen a "few" businesses spiral to destruction at the hands of a "bean counter" at the helm. Let's hope for the best.

P.

My 2009 was made in August 2008 and seems as good as our 2006, except for a couple of rattles. But more recently I talked to someone who had just been on the plant tour, he said worker morale was pretty low and an unusual number of cars were tagged for rework at the end of the line. If true, it would be interesting to know if the Plant Manager was a factor.[/QUOTE]

HOW could morale be low??? Your building Corvettes!!! Hello, GM I'll go work for $20 an hour and build Corvettes!!! On the bonus side for YOU I own and LOVE Corvettes, and I have a technical background. I'm a auto tech my training and trade. I WILL HAVE HIGH MORALE!!! Replace the low lifes!!! :W

I'll tell you one thing that I wasn't happy about at the plant, not sure if it was Paul's doing or not (I kind of think not)...

I did the buyer's tour in April. We couldn't sign the car in a hidden place, didn't get to start it, didn't get ride in it in the dyno room (yes, I know it's not really a dyno). Paraphrasing what I was told "You don't own it yet, it's GM's property" The tour guide was on my side, very frustrated to see things so sanitized. Employee moral was very very low. Did the tour a year prior too, and was able to do all the things I mentioned. Big difference from the previous year.

I did see Paul on the floor quite a bit, seemed "hands on". But at the same time, I just think Paul would have had an influence on what we could do on the tour, or maybe stick up for the people taking the buyers tour. Don't know...

HOW could morale be low??? Your building Corvettes!!! Hello, GM I'll go work for $20 an hour and build Corvettes!!! On the bonus side for YOU I own and LOVE Corvettes, and I have a technical background. I'm a auto tech my training and trade. I WILL HAVE HIGH MORALE!!! Replace the low lifes!!! :W

Too true... hard to believe that morale could be low on that line unless they are wondering day to day if they have a job. Of course, sometimes it doesn't matter how much your paid or even if you normally love what you are doing if politics or flat out incompetence (from above) is getting in the way.

I'm liking what Parcell's had to say in the Automotive News piece referenced earlier in this thread "Something we've got to continue to work on is to get 2,600 (employees) involved, actively involved, in running this business. We've still got people sitting on the sidelines in both salary and hourly. We need everybody pulling on the rope, making those small improvements." This sort of tact (if he actually means it) could greatly increase the plants morale and the overall quality of their product... hopefully he can truly utilize the skills and passion of their current workforce. This is something I believe we've lost sight of in most American work places, we've got a ton of people who are performing miserably at their jobs and simply don't care anymore... usually not because they're just a buch of bums but because their bosses have their heads up their own bums. For some odd reason, incompetence has become one of the most important prerequisites for promotion.

Whoever runs this assembly plant needs to build a car that doesn't fall apart and that has an interior that doesn't look like a rental car. I hope this guy does the job.

Folks have said that the Corvette is the best car that GM makes. If so, GM is really in trouble.

Vito

We've got to figure out how to set the plant up for the long-term future

It is my experience when Someone says we've got to figure it out, that makes me worry. Figure what out and what market are the next new customers they're talking about. They have been making corvette for 56 years now. More of a Suzuki culture. What?? Really think about it and think about what they are saying. Not once do they mention their following and that is their major market, so I say again think about what the interview says and remember we are not new customers and the next generation. Sometimes it is what they do not say that is the most bothersome. What about continuing the Corvette tradition in an improved fashion. The Corvette plant should be the pinnacle of plants to work for I would think. All I own is Chevys. It is a sad day when they put Suzuki and Corvette in the same interview let alone management. Oh and the plant will have good JD Power numbers, what about great numbers, the best the very best numbers. I would fire this guy already!
Very concerned,
98tigershark

A Corvette is a luxury, special interest vehicle. In this economy, demand has dropped regardless of who the plant manager is. Passion has to take a back seat to practicality in tough times.
Corvette needs a new kick. I would hope that there would be some new excitement in the lineup that does not cost over $100k. I have owned a C5 and now own a C3. I think a C7 is needed to spur interest in this luxury indulgence type of car.
What is interesting is that Mustangs are now customizable at the factory. Ford is finally getting some ponycar competition from the Camaro. Next year the Mustang will supposedly get a 400 hp engine, but for now they have to make do with stripes and decals. I hope my beloved vette does not sink to this. A new body style would help spur some new interest in America's sports car in these tough times. I'm kinda partial to popups or at least hidden headlights myself. Wouldn't mind a modern interpretation of the Stingray. Just my 2 cents.

Bob Parcel new manager at bowling green

In reply to some comments about Bob Parcell, he's a real class act. I have had the chance to work with Bob at another plant in Wentzville ,MO. He is very much a people person. He was always on the plant floor getting envolved. He was also very big in envolving people at all levels whether it be a Quality, safety or a production issue.

I'm not too sure if the plant manager has anything to do with the design or engineering the car, so the vette should be relatively safe. Now quality and control is something else and how the vette is put together. No engineering and design could fix poorly fit panels and "engine assembly recalls". You would think that a proper business model is to do it "right" the first time and avoid the costly maneuvers to fix the defects not to mention the delays. If this guy is to "attempt to gain more business for the factory" most of the parts you see on the vette need to be interchangable with other products ie, the now defunct cadillac xlr. A scary thought would be sharing parts bins with a cobalt! Well, I guess since the steering wheel is the same across the board, why not share a little more.... if so, we'll end up with a monster cobalt or a watered down c7 in the future :(

Lots of moves today besides Bowling Green

I'm not sure that either Paul Graham's or Bob Parcell's performance at their current plants impacted this decision much... Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Look at the string of moves announced today. Seems like an awful lot of moves to me.

General Motors Company
Date: August 21, 2009
To: Global Manufacturing Executives

Subject: Organizational Announcement

In line with the many recent announcements surrounding the restructuring of GM North America, I am pleased to announce the following Manufacturing leadership changes:

Bruce Pierson, Plant Manager Shreveport Assembly, has elected to retire after 37 years of service.

Mike Dulaney, currently Plant Manager Fairfax Assembly, will replace Bruce as Plant Manager Shreveport Assembly.

Rex Blackwell, currently Plant Manager Wentzville Assembly, will replace Mike as Plant Manager Fairfax Assembly.

John Dansby, currently Plant Manager Pontiac Assembly, will replace Rex as Plant Manager Wentzville Assembly.

Dennis Dougherty, Complex Director Ramos Arizpe, has elected to retire after 38 years of service.

Hector De Hoyos, currently Complex Director Silao, will replace Dennis as Complex Director Ramos Arizpe.

Juan Carlos Jimenez, currently Assistant Plant Manager Spring Hill Assembly, will repatriate to Mexico and replace Hector as Complex Director Silao.

Randy Thayer, Plant Manager Lansing Consolidated, has elected to retire after 33 years of service.

Alicia Boler-Davis, currently Plant Manager Arlington Assembly, will replace Randy as Plant Manager Lansing Consolidated.

Paul Graham, currently Plant Manager Bowling Green Assembly, will replace Alicia as Plant Manager Arlington Assembly.

Bob Parcell, currently President CAMI Automotive, will repatriate to the United States and replace Paul as Plant Manager Bowling Green Assembly.

Effective November 1, Carolyne Watts, currently Plant Manager Saginaw Metal Castings Operations, will repatriate to Canada and replace Bob as President CAMI Automotive.

Kai Spande, currently Global Director Process Engineering Castings, will replace Carolyne as Plant Manager Saginaw Metal Castings Operations.

Jeff Haynes, Plant Manager Indianapolis Metal Center, has elected to retire after 35 years of service.

Effective November 1, Gary Malkus, currently Plant Manager Orion Assembly, will replace Jeff as Plant Manager Indianapolis Metal Center.

Effective November 1, Bob Dolan, Plant Manager Wilmington Assembly, has elected to retire after 38 years of service.

Pam Mader, Plant Manager Spring Hill Assembly, has decided to pursue family interests after a very successful career of more than 23 years with General Motors. She will oversee the assembly build out later this year and the transition of Traverse production to Lansing. Pam will leave the company on January 1, 2010.

John Lancaster, currently Plant Manager Bedford Castings, is appointed to the position of Shop Director – Castings.

Eric Gonzales, currently Global GMS/IE Director-Powertrain, will replace John as Plant Manager Bedford Castings.

Rodney Black, currently Director- Powertrain Manufacturing Engineering , is appointed to the position of Shop Director – Engines/Transmissions.

Effective January 1, 2010, John Thomas, Plant Manager Defiance Castings Operations, has elected to retire after 28 years of service. His replacement will be announced at a later time.

In our labor relations area, I am pleased to announce the following retirements. Cheryl Ollila, General Director Labor Relations Canada, has elected to retire after 36 years of service. Her replacement will be announced at a later time.

Mike Taylor, CHR Labor Director Training - Joint Funds, has elected to retire after 38 years of service.

Terry Lee, Labor Director Powertrain, has elected to retire after 37 years of service. As part of the restructuring process, Terry’s responsibilities will be assumed by other Labor Directors.

Dean Munger, Executive Director Labor Relations Suppliers/IUE/CAW, has elected to retire after 41 years of service.

Effective January 1, 2010, Art Schwartz, General Director Labor Relations Human Resource Planning, has elected to retire after 24 years of service. His responsibilities will be assumed by Scott Sandefur.

Joyce Pauly, my Administrative Assistant, has elected to retire after 33 years of service. Her replacement will be announced at a later time.

The GMIO Manufacturing Engineering Leadership remains unchanged – Scott Whybrew, Ralph Fuerderer and Bob Glass will continue in their current roles and report to Eric Stevens.

These changes are effective October 1 unless otherwise noted. Please join me in thanking Bruce, Dennis, Randy, Jeff, Bob, Pam, John, Cheryl, Mike, Terry, Dean, Art and Joyce for their more than 425 combined years of service to General Motors, and in congratulating and supporting the others in their transition to new responsibilities and relationships.

Tim Lee
GM Group Vice President
Global Manufacturing & Labor Relations

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom