Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

broke almost all my valve springs.. help

mvvette97

Corvette
1997 black c5 corvette
Just done the cam swap about 150 miles ago. I was putting headers on tonight and while I had the valve covers off I thought the springs looked strange. Almost all of the springs on the very top coil that sits against the retainer is broken. Why would it of done that? The cam is the Comp 228/230 571/573 112lsa. The springs are comp 918. I also have the 7.425 pushrods. Is there a right and wrong way to set the spring down on the seat? I don't know what to do.

Sounds as if there is alot of harmonics in the springs! Was there a damper inner spring used?

Springs generally go on either way unless the manufacturer states otherwise.

Springs fail for a variety of reasons; wear, fatigue, mechanical damage, going solid, and hardening problems during manufacture. If your kit has all the correctly engineered components I suspect that their failure was due to manufacturing defects.

Contact the manufacturer, tell them what's happened, and get them replaced. :lou

Glad you found this before you fired it up.

I got some more springs today from a differant place and they look like alot darker in color. I went and put the new springs on tonight and this time I used the stock length pushrods

Springs generally go on either way unless the manufacturer states otherwise.

Springs fail for a variety of reasons; wear, fatigue, mechanical damage, going solid, and hardening problems during manufacture. If your kit has all the correctly engineered components I suspect that their failure was due to manufacturing defects.

Contact the manufacturer, tell them what's happened, and get them replaced. :lou

Glad you found this before you fired it up.

I believe the 918 springs are the "beehive" springs, so there is definitely a correct way to orient these....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom