Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

broken rear view mirror

Full Bull

ok...need some expert advice. The wife was driving my 95 coupe whilst i was out of town....went to local garden store...bought something too big for rear space....put it in front seat...top of item resting snugly against my rearview mirror....pow! it pops off of the short portruding ball. Question, can it be pushed back onto said ball?? I've tried...no go. Dealere says he'll fix it for $135...new mirror. Would like to see if there's a way to pop that sucker back on. Problem is...hole's smaller than ball....suggestions?

If your going to have to replace it you really have nothing to lose..... SO I would stick the ball side in the freezer overnight and the next day Id take a heat gun or a Dryer to the female side of the joint till its somewhat soft. Then Id take some oil and grease the male and female up, and proceed to insert HARD but do it quick as to "trick" the plastic as not to break it.

Thats my Idea...

:j :L :j

Newbie,

I will give you $10 for the old one if you decide to replace it. I am thinking of modding a C4 mirror to my 69 so I can get the lights built into the mirror assembly. I need one to play with that won't matter if I mess it up worse along the way. I have already stubbed the power wires out, just need something to hook them to.

Thanks,

Chris

I've got an extra rear view mirror that fits my '88. Thought the lights were broken on my original but they weren't so the extra one is just laying around. Picked it up off of eBay for $25 but I'll let anybody have it for $15 if you think it will work for your application.

I'm going out of town for a week in case I don't reply to any inquiries right away.

Baldie88 said:
I've got an extra rear view mirror that fits my '88. Thought the lights were broken on my original but they weren't so the extra one is just laying around. Picked it up off of eBay for $25 but I'll let anybody have it for $15 if you think it will work for your application.

I'm going out of town for a week in case I don't reply to any inquiries right away.

I will take that off your hands.

69...just saw your email....will gladly send you said mirror if i screw it up trying to reinstall it. Let me know if you still want it....

newbie said:
69...just saw your email....will gladly send you said mirror if i screw it up trying to reinstall it. Let me know if you still want it....

Thanks, I just dropped a check in the mail to Baldie88 for his. I may need yours too as I am attempting an outright mod to install it in my 69 and make it look factory. I have to use the C4 or equiv style mirror as they mount to the header bar, not the glass. The 69 also mounts to the header bar. In fact, the pocket the 60 goes into is broken (it mounts w/ a ball stud-different attachment). The C4 screws into place with one mounting screw. So, I can drill and tap threads in the 69 mount plate, and run the C4 in, plus hook up the lights where I stubbed courtesy and dome power to that location. I have also wired a dedicated radar detector zone.

I am working on a new type of radar detector signal. When it detects intant on radar and I am in excess of the posted speed by 50 mph, I want it to automatically page my bail bonds man!

did you ever get the mirror back on the ball?

I ask because same thing happened to mine.. came off the ball... I know this is an old post, just hoping you're still around and have an answer as to how you got it back together, if you did.

:w thanks

tk

Common sense seems to be they had to assemble it ....so it should be reassembled same way. My guess is they use a press to apply equal pressure. Big Red had a good idea.
Since it is broken you dont have anything to lose....vice?:w

well, I got it back on there, sort of...lol

My wife sanded the ball while I put on my force balanced front wheels. After about half of hour of sanding and checking if it went back in, bingo, it went back in, BUt, I don't know if it went all the way in or just part of the way in. I can see a tiny bit less than half the ball still outisde the joint, however, it does't fall off and is still firm, more firm in fact that the front ball next to the mirror itself which is somewhat loosey goosey.

I used coarse green sandpaper from Home Depot, I think around 400 grit, the ball is metal, it worked, all is good for the moment till I go over a big bump and it falls off :chuckle

Thanks much :)
tk :bash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom