Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bulb replacement in Stereo System

alfonsi4

Corvette
1996 C-4 LT-1 Torch Red
Bulb replacement in Stero System

Hi,

Fortunately for me all of the dash and interior lights work with the exception of what looks like one of the bulbs in the Bose AM/FM/Tape/CD player. (1996 C-4)

At night I cannot read the time or station numbers. It is fine in the daytime, but not at night. I would like to replace the bulb if that is what it is.

Any ideas, caveats to taking the stereo apart, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

stereo

Mines the same way. rather than changing the bulb, I plan on replacing the head unit with aftermarket one in near future. Heard to many BAD things about BOSE. My recommendations: Trash it and save yourself the headache down the road.

Replacing the Head unit?

Does that mean just the front of the unit? Or is that replacing the whole strero AM/FM/Tape/CD unit?

I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Thanks!

Bose:

alfonsi4,

Not sure if this will be much help, but I had the exact thing happen to my Bose unit (I have 96 coupe). The amber lights in the LCD area were slowly fading, losing their luminosity.

The dealer pulled my radio and sent it to a certified repair shop as this occurred while my car was under factory warranty. They didn’t replace the head unit, but repaired the lighting, not sure exactly what they did, but it was a successful fix. It took a couple of days because they had to send the unit out to a different location.

Depending on what your long term plans are for your Corvette, you could have it repaired to keep your OEM radio in working order, or you could add one of the many aftermarket units to your C4 as Wamp suggested.

Good Luck!
B17Crew
:w

B17Crew,

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for. I was not sure if I could service it myself like a dash light.

I do intend to keep the vehicle. Changing the radio is probably not an option for me. It just has to come on, I am not that deep into the music. I can check with my dealer to see if they can handle this.

Can you give me an idea as to the cost you incurred?

Thanks again!

alfonsi4, you are welcome!

I am unable to give you a cost for the repair of the Bose unit because it was covered under the factory warranty.

If you are uncomfortable leaving your Corvette with a dealer a few days to repair your radio, you could remove the unit, take it the dealer you decide upon to handle the repair, and let them ship it.

B17Crew
:w

Alfonsi4,

This has happend to me--twice. The first time it was fixed under warranty and the last (just a year ago), I had to take care of it myself. I had Dr. Don's (http://www.doctordons.com/) do the work and they fixed it quickly as well as gave it a general tune up (replaced all the rubber bands, cleaned it, etc). They also serviced my rear speakers. Great service and turn-a-round time. Good Luck.

kfehling,

Could you give me the cost estimate to have that done?

Thanks

I think it was around $100 or so. Call Don's for a specific price. They do a fairly complete overhaul when you send it in including replacing all of the bulbs.

FYI...

They have a flat rate chart on the website...

Delco/Bose AM/FM/TAPE/CD - $150 plus $12 shipping...

for those who are following this thread.

Thanks all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom