Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

buyer advice-new member

New to me C4

Have been reading ALL the info avilable to me here.
How to buy, what to look for, currant price trends, ECT.
A few weeks ago, going to a show, we saw a red C4, in a used car lot.
Many vettes plus other models.
On the way home, we passed again and stopped for a look.
What we saw; custom, paint, hood and rear wing, seats.
That was it. Wifey, said she liked it.
Monday, went in and bought it. Not even looking under the hood or driving it. Tuesday, it rained and I found out it needed new wipers. got them and installed them. Not the end of story.
The dealer, fixed the non working head light and said he thought I should get the oil changed.
Wednsday, brought it to a Chevy dealer that sells many vettes.
Change the oil, mobil 1 and filter, please. Lube the chassis and look for anything that needs attention. Flush the brake system.
"I would like to look underneath, when it's on the lift." I said. Okay, they said. I did and was suprised to find a vette that either has been very well taken care of or one that was preped for a show. Not one thing looked out of place or worn.
This load has 118,000. on it.
I paid twice as much for it than any other vette in the lot.
I think I got a good vette and I'm not POed at the price.
Now the fun begins.
An honest chevy dealer, told me, the WW need to be replaced and the water pump was bad and leaking.
I told him and showed the recipt for the new WW. I asked him to show me the bad water pump.
He tried to back off, saying with all the miles on the vette, you should change the pump, thermostat and flush the cooling system.
I asked him if he did a pressure check and could show me the leak. Again, he backed off.
Guess who lost a customer.
I miss my C3 street racer. I'll always have a soft spot for a C3, but no room in the barn.
I'm starting to like 20 mpg, in city driving.
BUT, I need more go. Soon!
My statement is,
If you like it get it.

I did buy it Blackshark, and JimBOb, yep its the car i asked about. I been working on it every day since i got it. Hmm that sounds bad, I have been fixing little things, nothing major. Today I started on headlight motors.. everybody said to check um, and guess waht i forgot to check when i bought it? One only went half ways up. Well today i tore it apart and found that all gears and so on are good (look new) but one of the magnets in the motor was lose. I tore it completely apart, cleaned it up (man thats tuff, you cant just wipe magnetic stuff off a magnet :) ) Roughed up the magnet and part it attaches too, cleaned it up as good as i could with thinner and used some JB WELD to hold magent on, now I get to wait 16 hours for it to cure (have it clamped in with vice grips while it drys). I wasnt sure glue was an idea but it appears the old one was glued in too? Wierd.. I would think they would hold the magnet in some other way, but guess if it worked for chevy it maybe (if im real lucky) work for me. Seems motors on E-bay and elsewhere are not cheap.

Clok

I did buy it Blackshark, and JimBOb, yep its the car i asked about.

Clok

See I told ya an L98 C4 with a manual is sweet car.:thumb

Its hard to beat that low end torque for playing around on the street.

Good luck ! keep us informed.

Well not trying to Hi-Jack a thread but I dont want to start a new one asking/wondering some of the same things. Been looking for a Vette for a little bit. Wife gave me the thumbs up AND I can keep my Grand National (however if it went that would mean a newer/nicer Vette) :thumb

Anyways stumbled accross a 96 C4 while taking a different way home from work. It's a coupe w/ 6 sp and it looked like it was sitting there for a while. It is a nice car but the problem is that it is really, really ugly color wise. I know each his own. Car was polo green/tan interior and it had gold racing stripes and gold colored "stock" looking rims.

I am 99.9% positive there was NOT a Green Bay Packer edition Vette in 96, but my question is, how do I find the RPO code for the correct rims (I looked at the link already) and how much $$ (est) would it cost to remove the gold stripes? Also what sort of price on used correct rims? (ball park).

General ideas are fine. I will need to factor the changes into my price offer and if a no go then I will move on. Straight polo green I can live with, not Green and gold.

Great site and thanks for the help!

I'm 99% sure that in 96, the only "stock" wheels were the saw blades, except for the Collector Edition and the GS, which used the A-molds (5 spoke, silver and black respectively). The face of these "sawblade" wheels should be a machined surface and the recesses are painted an argent (I believe that is the correct designation) color. Being a 96 with a 6 speed you have run across an LT4, which is the higher horsepower version of the LTx series engines. These typically commmand higher prices.

Well not trying to Hi-Jack a thread but I dont want to start a new one asking/wondering some of the same things. Been looking for a Vette for a little bit. Wife gave me the thumbs up AND I can keep my Grand National (however if it went that would mean a newer/nicer Vette) :thumb

Anyways stumbled accross a 96 C4 while taking a different way home from work. It's a coupe w/ 6 sp and it looked like it was sitting there for a while. It is a nice car but the problem is that it is really, really ugly color wise. I know each his own. Car was polo green/tan interior and it had gold racing stripes and gold colored "stock" looking rims.

I am 99.9% positive there was NOT a Green Bay Packer edition Vette in 96, but my question is, how do I find the RPO code for the correct rims (I looked at the link already) and how much $$ (est) would it cost to remove the gold stripes? Also what sort of price on used correct rims? (ball park).

General ideas are fine. I will need to factor the changes into my price offer and if a no go then I will move on. Straight polo green I can live with, not Green and gold.

Great site and thanks for the help!

I believe those rims are directional, meaning a left and right exist as well as a front to back. So keep that in mind when looking.

I've seen them for as litle as $75 each on Ebay with a little road rash, all the way up to 225 for the right rear in prestine conditon. IF you take your time you may be able to purchase the correct rims, center caps, lug nuts and covers, for $600 maybe?

A set of aftermarket ZR-1 like wheels could be a reasonable alternative as well.

As far as the stripes are concerned. In my opinion, and everybody has one, the paint is trashed. If it is anything but spray paint, I don't think they are coming off as you mentioned. If its Krylon spraypaint or whatever, it may be possible to remove the stripes with laquer thinner and buff out the clear coat. That all depends on your ability to handle flaws on your car :W.

I would go to a body shop and check on repaint prices for the areas affected if the remainder of the car is in good shape.

On a postive note, its an LT4 ! That engine and tranny is a stout combo and is the ultimate in C-4's.

Have been reading ALL the info avilable to me here.
How to buy, what to look for, currant price trends, ECT.
A few weeks ago, going to a show, we saw a red C4, in a used car lot.
Many vettes plus other models.
On the way home, we passed again and stopped for a look.
What we saw; custom, paint, hood and rear wing, seats.
That was it. Wifey, said she liked it.
Monday, went in and bought it. Not even looking under the hood or driving it. Tuesday, it rained and I found out it needed new wipers. got them and installed them. Not the end of story.
The dealer, fixed the non working head light and said he thought I should get the oil changed.
Wednsday, brought it to a Chevy dealer that sells many vettes.
Change the oil, mobil 1 and filter, please. Lube the chassis and look for anything that needs attention. Flush the brake system.
"I would like to look underneath, when it's on the lift." I said. Okay, they said. I did and was suprised to find a vette that either has been very well taken care of or one that was preped for a show. Not one thing looked out of place or worn.
This load has 118,000. on it.
I paid twice as much for it than any other vette in the lot.
I think I got a good vette and I'm not POed at the price.
Now the fun begins.
An honest chevy dealer, told me, the WW need to be replaced and the water pump was bad and leaking.
I told him and showed the recipt for the new WW. I asked him to show me the bad water pump.
He tried to back off, saying with all the miles on the vette, you should change the pump, thermostat and flush the cooling system.
I asked him if he did a pressure check and could show me the leak. Again, he backed off.
Guess who lost a customer.
I miss my C3 street racer. I'll always have a soft spot for a C3, but no room in the barn.
I'm starting to like 20 mpg, in city driving.
BUT, I need more go. Soon!
My statement is,
If you like it get it.

Totally agree .... I bought my vette from eBaY sight unseen ..... but I factored in carpets, paint, some trim, engine service etc etc then shipped the car to my home in AUSTRALIA!

I had to comply the car etc etc ....

Bottom line is I wanted it and love it. I am doing the little things it needs. But I drive it and view it as a hobby and 'Work in progress' ....

When you own and unique car it becomes a hobby and obsession .... but I tell you what .... you get more looks when you drive it on the road and plenty of positive comments when people know or see you own a Vett :D

Cheers!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom