Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying an air compressor - what to look for

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
I am thinking of buying a compressor to paint my '73 with as well as for general shop use. I have my eye on a Kobalt brand from Lowe's for $499.00. It puts out 13.3 cfm at 90psi and has a 7.0hp (peak I guess) and 3.5 running hp motor running on 220v. Anything else in particular I should look for?

thanks

prep,prep,prep,

i would invest in the biggest compressor that you can afford.You will also need to install a water filter collector before the hose and also install a screw on filter on the gun.The most important investment is the hvlp gun and the filter system.DO NOT PURCHASE A CHEAP GUN!!!!!
As far as a finish, base coat clear coat is the way to go.i would suggest the dbu system ...ppg .prep,prep,prep the more prep the better the finish.
vettebugusa,,,,,,,,,,,

When buying a compressor be carefull about the HP ratings. Most often those are at the compressor pulley after the belt reduction.A 5 HP advertised compressor may only have a 1 hp motor on it. Don't be fooled. Take a look at the motor and see what it is actually rated at. This gives you a better idea of the quality of the motor. When comparing elec. motors a good comparison is the amp rating. Higher is naturally better.

Glenn
:w

After looking back I see you list a running 3.5 hp motor I wonder if that is the actually motor hp or the hp it puts out at the compressor without load.

lone73 said:
I am thinking of buying a compressor to paint my '73 with as well as for general shop use. I have my eye on a Kobalt brand from Lowe's for $499.00. It puts out 13.3 cfm at 90psi and has a 7.0hp (peak I guess) and 3.5 running hp motor running on 220v. Anything else in particular I should look for?

thanks
I bought a American IMC at Factory in Charlotte!!!! 2 stage 21.5 cfm @ 150 psi. 7 hp. 220v. It was $1063.00 at time Picked up!! I had Outfitted a shop in FLA. with 4 so they gave me a Deal!! :upthumbs junk!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom