Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-2 windshield scratch removal....

PTighe

Corvette
'67 Convertible and '03 Z06
I have the original windshield in my '67, which has a small, straight, light scratch on the outside. I also have the '67 option for tinted windows (all of em). I was thinking of buying one of those windshield scratch removal kits that you use in a drill to get the scratch out.

Now I'm thinking about the tint in the windshield. If I use this buffer for the scratch, will it take out the tint as well? Is the tint on the outside of the windshield or inside or all the way through? Thanks for any input. PT :confused

Welcome back I was wondering how you and your car was, I treid the east wood kit with the special rouge and buff pad for a drill on a minor scratch.(One that would catch your finger nail if went across it). I was never able to remove the scratch. But all of the other tiny swirls in the windsheild I did remove and it was crystal clear. I never realized how hazy the windsheild was until I was done trying to remove the scratch that would catch my finger nail, I used this on my other glass and it cleans/clears up the glass areas,but I guess my scratch was to deep and I never got it out.

Thanks for the info guys. I wonder why they sell scratch removing kits if they don't work? :confused

I have heard that if you can catch your nail in the scratch it is too deep to remove. Other than that they work quite well. I would try it.

00fxd said:
I have heard that if you can catch your nail in the scratch it is too deep to remove. Other than that they work quite well. I would try it.

I got the new Eastwood Catalog yesterday and they now sell a polish that does remove deep scratches, must be a new product. It does advise performing this operation with caution however and it's $45.99, part #40030. :beer

http://www.eastwood.com

JonM said:
Windshields really arn't that expencive to replace...and as stated above...save your money with the scratch removeal kit....I'll mail you mine if you want it. :)
Thanks, but no thanks. Prior to giving the car to the painter 2 months ago, I replaced the windshield weatherstrip, which involves removing the windshield. The problem after reinstalling was that I couldn't get the lower reveal moulding to snap back in because the original clips were shot.

Tried again with a new windshield weatherstrip, using new clips made in Taiwan. That didn't work either, the foreign clips are not exact duplicates of the original, and they don't work. On the third try, I used American made clips from Paragon and they work fine. No way I'm taking that windshield out again! :D

67paint2.12.05.vh5.jpg

Patrick, be careful with the scratch remover, you can distort the windshield either from the heat generated by the machine or the product. Think of the scratch as a war wound.

I'mAVettehead said:
Patrick, be careful with the scratch remover, you can distort the windshield either from the heat generated by the machine or the product. Think of the scratch as a war wound.

Thanks Brian, I'll be careful but I think I'll start off with the mild stuff first. You do this before? Did you use a regular drill or a 90 degree angle buffer? :confused

You need to think of the scratch in the same way you would if it were in the paint. It needs to be feathered or you will end up with a low dip in the glass that will make you wish you had the scratch back. If it's a finger nail catcher you are in for a lot of work to remove it and not have a distortion when looking through the glass.

Consentrating your buffing on the scratch will leave such a distortion or build up enough heat that the glass will pop. The only thing you can successfully buff out of glass and leave no trace is the very fine scratches that you can't catch a fingernail in and even they take a lot of time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom