Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-4 tires

Corvette
2001 navy 'vert
My 93 has only 17,000 miles on it but the tires are showing some slight checking. The tires are Goodyear Eagles originals, at about $350.00 per, they must be run flats. What would be a good replacment tire besides the Eagle?
I see other tires the same sizes are around $200.00. Good ride and quite ride are important to all of us i guess, any ideas for me?

If you can afford around $200 per tire there are many options available to you. I've heard great things about the Goodyear F1 GS D3's. If you want to spend considerably less, Kumho makes a quality yet affordable performance tire. Go to www.tirerack.com and enter in the size that you are looking for.

:w

Do you have the Low Tire Pressure Warning System?
Does the tire show "EMT" on the side wall?

You'd be surprised what tire shops will try to sell you a Corvette tire for and if you don't know any better, you'd get taken.

Definitely check with www.tirerack.com for replacement prices and be ready to ask the local dealers to match prices. First, make sure you know whether to get run-flats or regular tires. In my opinion, regular tires are the way to go with the C4, they just aren't made for the run-flat - unless you have the spare tire delete option, then a run-flat might be the only appropriate option.

Check out this website: www.justtires.com
The Goodyear F1 GS D3's are incredible. Nothing out there outperforms them. And they are competitively priced!

Save The Wave!

must be tire season

another tire thread!

Tuna said:
Definitely check with www.tirerack.com for replacement prices and be ready to ask the local dealers to match prices. First, make sure you know whether to get run-flats or regular tires. In my opinion, regular tires are the way to go with the C4, they just aren't made for the run-flat - unless you have the spare tire delete option, then a run-flat might be the only appropriate option.
I agree, go to Tire Rack and type in your year and model, they will give you a list of tires, brands and prices, along with customer reviews on the tires.

new ideas

ya know...someday all the questions we all have about our Corvettes will have been asked and answered. Maybe that time is already here. Sure, we can all go searching in all the old threads for our answers, but isn't it more interesting to maybe get some new answers from some new people that haven't seen some of the old history stuff? Sorry if I f***ed up your day by trying to get some new insites from some new people....

Hey Ness,,,

I'm running BF Goodrich KDW's on my 89 convertible and like them for the most part. When ya hit a suprise snow storm in July at 10,000 feet in a Colorado Mountain pass, they aren't worth &%$##$^ tho---

Scott

lt4man said:
The Goodyear F1 GS D3's are incredible. Nothing out there outperforms them. And they are competitively priced!

Save The Wave!
Ditto to every sentence! The GS D3s are awesome. And they look cool from the rear, too! After nearly 14K miles, tons of tread left.

ness said:
Sorry if I f***ed up your day by trying to get some new insites from some new people....
Gee, Ness. I didn't know you were so sore there.

New insights are valuable to all of us. This is a friendly and very helpful forum and a bit of joshing has a place. Sorry you took it differently.

Some of us spend a lot of time when we "go searching in all the old threads for our answers", plus accessing the web and poring over imperfect and oft times poorly written factory manuals to help a Corvette pal. We research old receipts, refresh old memories and more. If it is not important enough for you to do some searching, then your problem is obviously not important enough for me to do it either.

Developing good search techniques saves all of us time and makes us all more effective. I also understand and value the social aspect of this fine forum.

BYW, I am also shopping tires and like the G/Y D3 recommendations. Thanks, guys.

Bridgstone Potenzas on my 95. $740 a set mounted and balanced. I've had them 2 years and are very happy with them.

Khumo's on my 86. Very happy with those too.

I hated the goodyear EMT's. Noisy and solid as a rock. But that's just me.:)

I bought Sumotomos from National, balance, mount, + total alignment $ 790.00

Hey ness.... I have an 86 vert an I just bought the Goodyear F1 GS D3's and they are great. I have 17 inch wheels on mine. I paid $230.00 ea..They are great in the rain and you can get them real sticky for a drag . As far as snow an ice I think that's when the C4's become garage Queen. Look around for a good price....I found mine at a Firestone dealer...isn't that a kick in the old tire. Good luck....Bob Yates

I replaced the falkens that were on my vette when I bought it with new Falkens. They're rated for 40K miles. Mine had over 60 and still had enough tread left to sell on e-bay. I was very impressed with the tread life. And they handled a "Tail of the Dragon" run very nicely. Best part was the price.....$145.00 per

Len:w

Got my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's today!

Awesome tires, incredible difference from the old GSC's. They are like night and day quieter and they ride fantastic. Not to mention the exotic good looks.

I have been an independent engineering consultant to Goodyear for 25+ years and I will buy no other brand. I know their equipment from rubber mixing through tire finishing and it's first class all the way.

:w Mark

I could not say it better myself. Glad to hear you are excited about the tires. I purposely pull my Vette into my garage so when I leave in my other car, I can see the tire tread of my rear tires. :L

Save The Wave! :w

I have been really happy with Firestone Firehawks. Much smoother, much quieter, but not as good as GSCs in cornering. They smooth out quickly after the car has not moved for a couple of months in the winter.

MARKSC4 said:
Got my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's today! . I know their equipment from rubber mixing through tire finishing and it's first class all the way.
Very good to hear. There a 2 or 3 of us still willing to pay for American quality. It is hard to be a smart consumer, and getting harder.

Gee I guess the Firestone's are out. Do they even make them anymore? I bought the Z's about 35K ago, they still look good. I absolutely love the ride. The Goodyear I found to be a very hard tire and felt every bump. Even when I first got the car and they were new. Almost $900 when all said and done but I can say now I was pleased with the purchase.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom