Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C O R V E T T E Dash Pad

FFAST87

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
What does everyone think about the passenger side dash pad on their C4?
I see that Ecklers et all sell a kit to remove and replace with either wood kits or a leather pouch..but I think it make the Vette look kind of strange. I think the pad gives the Corvette interior its character. Anyone agree?? Disagree??? :w

The pad itself never bothered me, it was more of the lack of storage space such as a glovebox provides.

It's no longer an issue:

interior_0313_01_320.JPG

The old breadbox, which was new as of 2001, is currently gathering dust in the garage somewhere. ;shrug

Personally, I think it looks out of place with the rest of the interior -- never have liked it; so I removed mine. Again, that's just my opinion, too each there own I always say :beer

87Clwy23.JPG

There is no glove box in the dash ??? When did they start putting those in. My 90 has one.
:w

Ken said:

Another reason to be happy I didn't buy older.:D Dumb luck is all it was. :L
I knew about as much about buying a vette as I did buying a Jet airliner.;LOL

At first, I didn't know anything about 'em either; "Obsession" is my first as well.

However, given my personal tendency to be compulsive/obessive about things - when I got the Vette, I jumped in with both feet and got my hands on every book and magazine I could find that had anything to do with Corvettes. :v

FFAST87 said:
Ecklers sell's a kit
I finally did this, and am happy I did. You can see how the dash looks so much better with the equal height, left and right. Initially, I kept the bolster, but after installing the new 'wood', I ordered the matching bolster replacement.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fry747/MyVette/Cockpit.JPG

One recommendation: the Eckler's kit is chintsy, low quality, did not fit all that well, but at least it's pricey. Other than that, I liked it. ;)

If I were doing it anew, I'd just make a thin, flat panel from metal, plastic or even thin wood; then stick the dash-covering-of-choice to it. I ended up reworking the one I bought for a longer period than it would have taken me to start from scratch!

WhalePirot that sure is a strange place for the distributor cap.;)

they sell an original dash for the 84-89 with that part that sticks out, the same as stock, with a keyhole in it and it opens to make a glove box. i have seen this and it is a good way to keep the stock look while adding a compartment to it!

My 95 has a gorgeous passanger side dashpad. I guess Corvette made a change to the pads in late C4's. I really like it a lot.

SSTibet said:
My 95 has a gorgeous passanger side dashpad. I guess Corvette made a change to the pads in late C4's. I really like it a lot.
I'm pretty sure there were 3 changes on C4 interiors.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I like it the way it originally is , the letters CORVETTE really jump into the interior

when Ecklers should sell a flatter version with these letters in then I would consider replacing the thing,

94 had pass. side air bag and no glovebox ? btw the guages in the 90 aren't much to brag about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom