Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 1960 Hood, where can I get the dogbone ?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
inside my hood at the ends where the hood hinges attach there is a dogbone type of flat steel that is tapped at both ends. I need to get one of those for my '60.
Does anyone know of a vendor that has those?
thanks, Herb

Herb

I purchased a hood off ebay and of course one of these were missing.

I shook the hood hoping it was stuck in side somewhere but for sure it was not.

They were supposed to be in captive like boss similar to the door strikers.
ones

I ended up having to make my own out of 1/4" flat steel then drilled them and tapped them. sliced the hood and slid them in.

I am pretty sure with in the last year some one from the SACC (solid axle corvette club) had done a how to article on replacing them in the "On Solid Ground" magazine. I will check past issue today.

Have you shook the hood. Blown compressed air into it to see if its still in there Shook the hood again?

The biggest problem with making them is trying to get them to stay in place when bolting up the hood hinge. I had to kinda put it in place then drill and tap my new boss for a small 1/4" pan head screw I used to hold it in place until I could get the hood bolts in. Once I got my hood bolt in I removed my pan head screw and the boss was being held by the hood bolts ,then I adjusted my hood Then redrilled and tapped the boss again to hold the boss in that position so I could remove the hood in the future with having to worry about the boss falling out of place.

This was a real pain to do

Good luck

Herb

I purchased a hood off ebay and of course one of these were missing.

I shook the hood hoping it was stuck in side somewhere but for sure it was not.

They were supposed to be in captive like boss similar to the door strikers.
ones

I ended up having to make my own out of 1/4" flat steel then drilled them and tapped them. sliced the hood and slid them in.

I am pretty sure with in the last year some one from the SACC (solid axle corvette club) had done a how to article on replacing them in the "On Solid Ground" magazine. I will check past issue today.

Have you shook the hood. Blown compressed air into it to see if its still in there Shook the hood again?

The biggest problem with making them is trying to get them to stay in place when bolting up the hood hinge. I had to kinda put it in place then drill and tap my new boss for a small 1/4" pan head screw I used to hold it in place until I could get the hood bolts in. Once I got my hood bolt in I removed my pan head screw and the boss was being held by the hood bolts ,then I adjusted my hood Then redrilled and tapped the boss again to hold the boss in that position so I could remove the hood in the future with having to worry about the boss falling out of place.

This was a real pain to do

Good luck
Bubba had made one out of a ouple of pieces of this and that. Harry took out the male hood latches and dumped out both of these dog bones. One was stock, no problem, the other bubba had made. The bubba one has to go.

We can make one no problem, his plan to hold them in place was to shake them back down, fish them in place and hold them up with a bolt. Then spray some expanding foam sealant behind them to hold them, follow later by breaking them free for adjustment.

He said he could make one, but at the shop rates I am paying when ever he says make I think BUY, but in this case, sounds like make is the answer...

thanks, Herb

Take a picture of the origional and post it if it what I think it is all you need is an Origional and a drill press to make another. Or a CNC mill to make a bunch ;LOL

Take a picture of the origional and post it if it what I think it is all you need is an Origional and a drill press to make another. Or a CNC mill to make a bunch ;LOL
I can get it next week when I stop over at the shop...but you are right, just need a hunk of metal, drill press and a tap....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom