Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

V

Vette66AirCoupe

One thing always leads to another! :mad While I had my head under the dash of my '60 working on another issue I discovered a drop of brake fluid hanging off my linkage. Sure enought, the master cylinder reservoir was quite low so I guess it's time for a new master cylinder. I've decided to opt for a dual cylinder conversion. Can anyone recommend a supplier who provides a nice kit that works well and is easy to install? Thanks! :beer

I know I'm talking to myself here but holy cow! I just checked on the pricing for the dual master cylinder conversion and it looks like it'll take about $460 as opposed to around $90 for a direct replacement. I didn't realize the spread would be that great. I might have to rethink this for a car I don't drive that often. After all, I do have a spare Vette so the mileage on the '60 is halved. :D

Hey Terry...I'de opt for the $90.00 replacement. Thats a huge jump in dollars....I guess owning a C1 is much more expensive than my ratty old C3's!! Nice cruise at Herr's.....Kerbeck on Sunday, Liberty show Saturday. enjoy Hershey!!

Andy

Me Too

I posted this same question a few months ago and never got a reply. About a year ago there was a guy selling them for $289 on eBay but I foolishly didn't get one and now after doing a search I can't find him or remember his name. I "may" have a lead from the guy I bought my front disc conversion from in Fla. but I have to find that phone # too:W

I researched this a while back and found kits with dual master, front disks and an equalizer for less than 600. I've also heard that you can put together a nice kit on your own for sustantially less if you research your parts. I guess allot of the parts are stock from Camaros and Chevelles. The master cylinder is a stock item the necessary extender/adapter is the part that is hard to find.

JMHO but I just had a new wheel cylinder let go on my 57' It is equipped with a dual master without disc brakes. I was coming down a hill and pulling into my garage when it happened. The pedal went down but the car stopped.

Brakes are one thing I wouldn't penny pinch with.

$500 on a $35k+ investment isn't really much.

Corvette Central has a dual MC, roller bearings, front disc set up and brake lines for $1000 ... anyone have any experience with this??

Jim Meyer Racing sells the master cylinder and brake lines for about $250.00:

http://jimmeyerracing.com/cv6.html

Master Power Brakes sells them, too:

http://mpbrakes.com/mp1781k.htm

Both these setups are low profile, to clear the C1 hood.

If you want power brakes, I understand Van Steel sells a pretty trick C1 booster/MC combo - its not listed on the website, but give them a call. I talked to a rep at a car show, and they confirmed they sold it. I forget what company they said they get them from. I'm thinking they said the price was about $350 to $400.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ProductList&SubGroup=1883

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom