Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 hinge question

wapaugh

Corvette
Can anyone tell me the secret to removing the trunk and deck hinges on a '59? I really don't want to drill the rivets securing the towers, but cannot figure out how else the spring and bolt assemblies will come out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes,

Removing the springs and bolts is really pretty simple. You will need a thin 9/16" open end wrench and another box end wrench as well as a large straight bladed screwdriver. At the top of the spring, you will see a thin nut on either side of the attachment to the hinge. Take the thin 9/16" wrench and loosen the nut on the underside of the bracket while holding the top thin nut by jamming the flat bladed srewdriver between the flats of the nuts and the bracket. Then loosen the nut on the bottom of the stud which extends through the bottom of the spring. as you loosen this nut, it will usually turn the stud since the nut is a self-locking type and the stud will slowly unscrew from the top thin nut. once the top nut is off, close the lid slightly which will make the nut move down out the bottom of the tower. Then slip the wrench over the nut and past it until it can be used as a lever to hold the stud down while the lid is raised. The spring and stud will now cme out of the hinge bracket and you can remove the second thin nut and replace the spring. Just reverse to assemble.
Regards, John McGraw

Thanks, John

I knew it had to be a fairly simple trick, but couldn't figure out how to get a wrench over the top nut. I didn't even see the nut on top of the spring.

I'm ready to lift the body, but need to build a body dolly or rotisserie before I do. I noticed in one of your earlier threads that you built a nice rotisserie. Is there any chance you could forward the dimensions to me?

Regards,

Wes

Wes,

I will dig up the dimensions tomorrow and send them to you.

Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom