Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'04 radio/cd player question

The old Bose radios will not play home burned discs. They are not equipped to do so. The newer radios do have the ability to read those discs. Your radio must be able to read MP3 or WMA files. You can try to hook up your ipod like in the previous post or replace the factory head unit with an after market one. I opted for the after market stereo with the ability to read my discs and has the bluetooth also so I can talk hands free on the phone. Hope this helps you out.

I disagree. You are correct that they won't play MP3s, but as long as you burn it as a music CD there is no problem. I was just playing a CD that I burned in my '04 ZO6 last week and it worked fine.

I disagree. You are correct that they won't play MP3s, but as long as you burn it as a music CD there is no problem. I was just playing a CD that I burned in my '04 ZO6 last week and it worked fine.

'Burned' CD's will work; but the stock CD player can be a bit temperamental about them. Often they'll work fine, but I've had the CD player skip, hunt, and generally choke on them. The player itself seems fine; I play commercially-produced CD's on it without any issues. But 'burned' CD's are sometimes problematic.

I cannot argue with you. I know mine would not play one. Maybe it was the disc or the way it was written. Anyway, I replaced mine with an Alpine and all Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers. You can hear it with the top down now:happyanim:.

I kinda wonder if part of it isn't the technology of the older cd players. My 2001 Rover Disco does not like "burned at home" cd's at all, even to the point of problems ejecting the carrier yet I have no problem with commercial cd's. And, I've played my home burned cd's in newer vehicles without any problems at all.

Hey there everyone!

On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue? I don't want to put an aftermarket radio in the C5, but I really wanna listen to my tunes!

Also, any ideas on the best configuration of a sub box in the trunk of a 'vert?

Hmmmm, That's strange. I too have an 04 w/factory Bose and I have no problems playing burned CD's. Doesn't matter if I burnt them or someone else did.
They all work fine !

I burn CDs of old time radio shows to listen to while driving my Corvettes. My 2008 plays the burned CDs in standard form or MP3. My 02 Z06 plays the burned CDs without a problem. My 02 Coupe has both the dash CD player and the 12 disc changer in the trunk well. Both play without a problem. If I get an error message, I find that it has been with the CD that I burned and not the CD players in my Corvettes. My 1994 had the CD/Cassette player and I had many problems with burned CDs. Removed the unit, sent it to Dr. Don's for his upgrade for playing burned CDs. It worked perfectly. All the CD players are BOSE factory units.
Barrett

I found the issue with my factory radio/cd player not playing my home burned cd's. I've been using the CD-RW recently. The radio won't play ANY of those, but it plays EVERY CD-R, regardless of the brand. So, I pulled the i-Simple out and am going to get rid of it and just keep spinning cd's.

If anyone is interested in a Zune C5 Corvette install kit PXDX/PXHGM4, mine is available. I bought it new from Double D Mods ($79.99 with free shipping) and will take $50 for it.

Great aftermarket option

I went to Fry's in Roseville, CA. The Sony MEX-N5000BT had all the bells and whistles I was looking for. The installer there knew his stuff, and I am loving the sound of the factory speaker system pushed by the factory amplifier to new heights by this Sony. Hands free Bluetooth phone, all my Iphone music wirelessly, Pandora, MP3 CD's, and a bit more. The unit a mere $130 and the install a reasonable $140. This in my 2004 Coupe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom