Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'04 radio/cd player question

BoDuke

Corvette
'04, Triple black Vert, '13 Grand Sport 3LT Coupe
Hey there everyone!

On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue? I don't want to put an aftermarket radio in the C5, but I really wanna listen to my tunes!

Also, any ideas on the best configuration of a sub box in the trunk of a 'vert?

... On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue...?

Yeah, I've occasionally seen the same thing on mine; I've had better luck than it seem you have in playing 'burned' CD's, but my factory CD player (including the 12-CD changer) does barf on them from time to time. I think there's something mentioned in the Owner's Manual about this possibility as well. I guess putting a disclaimer in the Owner's Manual is simpler (and cheaper) for GM than actually fixing the problem... :eyerole

... Also, any ideas on the best configuration of a sub box in the trunk of a 'vert?

Sorry; can't help you there.

Hey there everyone!

On my 04, I've come to realize that my factory radio (Bose) will NOT play any of my personally burned cd's. It just displays the ERR code and ejects the cd. It does however play the store bought cd's perfectly every time, no problems at all. I have an 04 Suburban with the factory radio (in dash 6cd changer, Bose), and it plays all my homemade cd's with out any complaints. Any one else have this issue? I don't want to put an aftermarket radio in the C5, but I really wanna listen to my tunes!

Have an ipod adapter in my 02. It came with one and it is the best. I don't need to carry or store cd's. I went out and bought a small ipod loaded all my riding tunes and off I went. I think that's the best way.
Paul:w

Hey Paul,

My factory unit doesnt have the ipod adapter, but I've seen radios on eBay that do. I've been throwing the idea around about replacing my unit with one of those. It would be a lot handier than trying to keep track of the cd's :) Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb

Hey Paul,

My factory unit doesnt have the ipod adapter, but I've seen radios on eBay that do. I've been throwing the idea around about replacing my unit with one of those. It would be a lot handier than trying to keep track of the cd's :) Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb

I have seen that guy on ebay also, and have wondering about his work, or quality of. I hate the thought of taking my 03, and changing everything out. I have an FM adapter and it is awful. I didn't buy the car to listen to music, but it would be nice to have decent tunes in there. That guy also has a blue tooth set also for the bose systems.

I have seen that guy on ebay also, and have wondering about his work, or quality of. I hate the thought of taking my 03, and changing everything out. I have an FM adapter and it is awful. I didn't buy the car to listen to music, but it would be nice to have decent tunes in there. That guy also has a blue tooth set also for the bose systems.

So Texasred, are you saying that the ipod adapter on the radios isn't factory? When I was researching Vette's and looking at the factory options, I never seen a radio with ipod input as an option. Reference the ones on ebay, I figured maybe they were radios from like a Trailblazer etc that would fit a Corvette.

If the ebay radios are modified, I will go with out my burned cd's, or put an aftermarket unit in. And like you, I also didn't acquire my Vette for the radio (for being Bose and Corvette, it's a pretty disappointing sound system in my opinion to say the least). I take mine to Omaha every weekend which is 2 hours each way, so for me, some tunes other than 'radio' would make the trip that much more enjoyable :)

Thanks for the info reference the ebay units, that is extremely helpful!!

-Aaron

The ebay post says factory corvette, modified to accept I POD and even blue tooth.

97 04 Corvette C5 Tape Radio Bluetooth iPod MP3 Aux SAT | eBay

Again, I do not what his "skill" level is, I just happened to be looking in the C5 corvette section of Ebay. He has several types there, in fact if you look at the radio, you can see that he has drilled a small hole in the front, to accept the small headphone jack. Again, I wish I had contact with someone who has had dealings with type of mod, I just do not know if this is something I would go for or not. I have only had my 03 for a few weeks, and I hate the thought of taking this car apart just to listen to my I POD on that stereo. My thinking is, If I have gone that far, might as well just go with a whole new unit, speakers, and put the BOSE system in a box, in case I decide to trade up later in life.

There are adapters that work with our factory radios. I bought one that replaces the CD changer and works off the "Aux". I'll see if I have info on it. I don't use mine much any more because I bought a "Sky dock" which uses my Ipod and I have XM radio, but I can play music off the Ipod as well.

Here is the adapter that plugs into the CD changer harness. I removed the changer and now have more room in the back bin.

Ipodinstall001.jpg

I ran the new wire from the adapter under the carpet up to the console area.

Ipodinstall003.jpg

Here's one of the install with the ipod in the console.

Ipodinstall004.jpg

Plays through the radio "Aux" side. And if I remember correctly, it charges the ipod too.

I wrote a full procedure on my web site that may help you out (scroll to the bottom of my web page).

http://www.ToqueZ06.com

1.) C5 Corvette - CD Player Laser Cleaning Procedure:

The Laser cleaning procedure really helped me out with ALL of my CD's not reading, or skipping a lot.
When burning your CD's turn down the "burn speed" as low as you can. That also helps.

2.) C5 IPOD install:

This may help you if you want to install an IPOD in your car.

Hope this helps !:w
Toque

The old Bose radios will not play home burned discs. They are not equipped to do so. The newer radios do have the ability to read those discs. Your radio must be able to read MP3 or WMA files. You can try to hook up your ipod like in the previous post or replace the factory head unit with an after market one. I opted for the after market stereo with the ability to read my discs and has the bluetooth also so I can talk hands free on the phone. Hope this helps you out.

Hey there everyone!

I went with the box that fits in the center compartment. CD changer had to come out though. But as I said in my previous post, I went with an aftermarket head unit also. Good luck.

Hell again!

Thanks to everyone for the info, input, pointers, advice, and opinions! Here's what I ended up doing...I ordered a Sony NWZ-E465BLK 16gb mp3 player (Walmart $74.98), and a Zune C5 Corvette install kit PXDX/PXHGM4 from Double D Mods ($79.99 with free shipping)

As far as I can tell, this should be all I need. Devan at Double D was very helpful and knowledgeable, and explained to me what kit I needed and why, in comparison to the other kits available. Beings the have sub boxes, I'm sure I will end up getting one of those also.

Thanks again everyone. ALL the info and links were extremely helpful!! :thumb

-Aaron :w[h=1][/h][h=4][/h]

I went with the box that fits in the center compartment. CD changer had to come out though. But as I said in my previous post, I went with an aftermarket head unit also. Good luck.

Is your sub box the kind that fits flush in the center compartment? How does is sound? Are you running a 10" or 12" sub? Where did you mount the amp for it?

Lots of questions, but I cant seem to find any info out there that relates to stereo systems in convertibles :(

Thanks!

Is your sub box the kind that fits flush in the center compartment? How does is sound? Are you running a 10" or 12" sub? Where did you mount the amp for it?

Lots of questions, but I cant seem to find any info out there that relates to stereo systems in convertibles :(

Thanks!

Yes it does fit flush in the trunk space. I don't know who makes it, as I got it used from an audio store I shop at. It is made for a 10" and I am using a Rockford Fosgate Punch series. It does sound really good. As for the amp mounting, I placed mine just behind the waterfall. No interference with the top when its down and out of the way if anything is in the trunk. Hope this helps you out. Oh yeah, just bought some Rockford punch series door and rear speakers today. Can't wait to get them in!

So, I got my harness and adapter from Double D Mods yesterday. They sent me the PXDX and PXHGM4 ($79.99 and free shipping). Expecting a "Peripheral", I got the "iSimple" This is the kit I need to pair my SONY MP3 player with the factory radio. If you have an IPOD, it will be a different harness. It took a lil over an hour as I had no clue how to take anything apart. I referred to CAC member Toque for the pictures on his site...a BIG help! Here is a list of things I learned on my own that may help someone in the future...

These pointers are relevant to my '04 convertible, automatic...

1. Other than having my garage heated now, I don't enjoy working on the Vette any more than I did my General Lee

2. Lay a towel over your dash/front vents etc. to help prevent scratches when the clips above the radio becomes unattached.

3. Remove key fob etc from key ring. I had to turn key on/off several times as to run shifter from park to lower gear position so I would be able to remove and reinstall center console.

4. I had to remove center LID only, not the whole piece that goes under the waterfall. I didn't have to mess with gas lid button.

5. Removing power point in console storage area: unplug wires, turn either way while gently pushing out. There is a notched opening on the top side of the console, and 2 knobs on the power point itself. Once the 1st knob is out, keep turning until the other knob is out. It gets reinstalled the same way.

6. Keep ash tray door shut at all times. It's very fragile and likes to get in the way.

7. There are 2 hook clips above the radio that hold the entire piece to the dash. These are molded and a part of the entire center console piece. There are also a few straight, molded guides to assure that the console trim gets in the correct place

8. My SONY E465 Mp3 player connects to the PXDX with the 2.5mm headphone jack, NOT the rectangle port that chargers and hooks to a USB....I CAN NOT use the radio controls to run the Mp3 player, as you apparently can with iPod. The PXDX will NOT charge my Sony E465.

I'm a bit disappointed that I can't use the radio controls to run the Mp3, but everything was easy to hook up, went back together easier than it came apart, and it ALL works! I wanted to share this info that may fill in some of the blanks that I did. I will try to add some pic's.

Thanks for everyones help. And to Toque, your site is AWESOME. I couldn't have done this without your pic's and instruction :)

Last edited:
Going to try to ad some pic's of my install...2012-12-03_23-27-46_171.jpg2012-12-03_23-54-35_988.jpg2012-12-03_22-37-55_843.jpg

2012-12-03_22-41-14_568.jpg2012-12-03_23-18-48_463.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-12-03_23-55-10_261.jpg
    2012-12-03_23-55-10_261.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 123
I've been checking out the Mylink infotainment center on the Chevrolet website. That looks like a nice unit to fit into a Corvette. I noticed that the system was not offered in the new Corvettes, but nearly all the the everyday daily drivers had the system as an option. It still looks like a nice unit though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom