Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2's with three taillights

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
My theory as to why some folks installed them (three taillights per side) goes back to the full-size Chevys of 1958-(not 59)-60-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70 and 71.

You'll remember that the lower models got two taillights per side, while the Impala got three. They were usually round.........sometimes rectangular.....sometimes odd shaped. But it was two or three depending on the model.

Chev60_8.jpg

1960 Impala

4t7gvx3.jpg

1960 Biscayne

impala_1968_car.gif

1968 Impala

chevrolet-1968-biscayne.jpg

1968 Biscayne

So, my theory is that some guys didn't want a "Biscayne" or "Bel-air" Corvette. They wanted an "Impala".

Me? I always preferred those sleeper Biscaynes anyway, so I left mine alone. ;)

What's your theory?

My theory is that Jan & Dean had the most to do with the popularity. The first guys that did it probably did it for a mild custom look. I don't think those Kalifornia custom guys ever let anything stay stock. But the Biscayne/Impala theory sounds good.

I'm a 3fer guy

My car came from Maine.... but it spent some time in it's life here in CA...
How do I know? there was a LOT of cards from LA Vette shops in the bottom of the drivers door & part of a reciept from J&D Corvette.

It was done before I purchased the car.. But I Like it !

Vig~

I agree with your theory Bob. It was one of the coolest things you could do to your '61-'67 Vette back before anyone gave a darn about originality. I'd still do it if I was building a restomod.

Bob, need to borrow my hole saws?

Tom

Just trying to help. :L

If three is better than two, think how good four or five per side would look! :chuckle

Ha! - goes to show you what I know about the very car I own! I thought three lights were stock as my 65 has three, with no backup lights. Never gave it a thought - Live and learn!

(Editted: OK, I thought it was weird that I would have had 3 tail lights - double checked and doh! its back to two. I will double up on my meds now....)

Six taillights

Greetings
As an original owner that installed the extra tail light I can speak from my experiences with many others of that era.

The Corvette "dream cars" all had six lights in them so that's why I added the extra one. Some made one of them a backup light but most of us just tapped the brake a little and those six bright lights gave plenty of light to see backing up.

I've always thought that GM would have added the extra light but that the bean counters figured out that they could save money by not doing it.

I cut holes for many of my friends using a template made from a cardboard valve cover gasket. Then my uncle made one out of aluminum after the cardboard got overused. I think I still have both of them around here someplace. I know I still have the fiberglass pieces that I cut out.

12 bright taillights dragging down a dark blacktop is something to see on a summer night. :)

Ol Blue
6tailights[1].jpg

My father-in-law had a '63 with the extra brake lights.

He did it to be different since there was another red Corvette in town at the time.

He had to sell the Corvette when he started his family.

Here's the good part:

He recently located his old '63 and set out to recapture it. The current owner thought he had something very, very rare and gave my father-in-law the show.

Current Owner: "See the three brake lights? That was a very rare option found on the earliest cars."

Father-In-Law: "Actually, I cut those in when I brought the car home."

Current Owner: "Really? Hmm. Well see the working hood grills? That was an early option. Those are fake on most '63's."

Father-In-Law: "Yeah, I cut those in the hood a few months later."

Current Owner: "Really? Well you see how the rare crossmember delete..."

Father-In-Law: "Yeah, I cut that out to make the blower fit." :L

I hear the current owner was a little bummed to find out my father-in-law whipped the $h!t out of that car 40 years ago.

He never lost a race in that '63 either. :rotfl

Right back atcha 67 Heaven, not many of us left. :) :beer

I've not been doing much in the Corvette game for awhile but hope to get more active this coming year. Waayyy, too many projects. We need to get the cars together some event next year and spin a few tales. errrrr should I say TIRES. :L
Keep'm flyin!!
Ol Blue

Well Heaven, I think you may be on to something. I spoke with my father-in-law tonight. I'm wrong. He didn't add brake lights to "be different" from the other Vettes (his '63 was one of the first in the area), he did it because "it just looked better". Like his '58 Impala he says. :L

My father-in-law had a '63 with the extra brake lights.

He did it to be different since there was another red Corvette in town at the time.

He had to sell the Corvette when he started his family.

Here's the good part:

He recently located his old '63 and set out to recapture it. The current owner thought he had something very, very rare and gave my father-in-law the show.

Current Owner: "See the three brake lights? That was a very rare option found on the earliest cars."

Father-In-Law: "Actually, I cut those in when I brought the car home."

Current Owner: "Really? Hmm. Well see the working hood grills? That was an early option. Those are fake on most '63's."

Father-In-Law: "Yeah, I cut those in the hood a few months later."

Current Owner: "Really? Well you see how the rare crossmember delete..."

Father-In-Law: "Yeah, I cut that out to make the blower fit." :L

I hear the current owner was a little bummed to find out my father-in-law whipped the $h!t out of that car 40 years ago.

He never lost a race in that '63 either. :rotfl

Well Heaven, I think you may be on to something. I spoke with my father-in-law tonight. I'm wrong. He didn't add brake lights to "be different" from the other Vettes (his '63 was one of the first in the area), he did it because "it just looked better". Like his '58 Impala he says. :L
Did he manage to get the 63 back or is he still working on it? :)

-Mac

Did he manage to get the 63 back or is he still working on it? :)

-Mac

No, the guy wanted $80,000 for it. :crazyHe thought he had a sucker on the line he was going to reel in. My father-in-law ended up getting a '65 vert and a '62 instead.

He still has the guys phone number and calls him every year or so to see if he's come to his senses yet. :L So I guess you could say he's still kinda working on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom