Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Door hinge pin length question

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
As part of my paint/bodywork process I have finally gotten around to replacing the door hinge pins and bushings that I've had for a few years. The new pins are 4-1/8" long. The old ones are about 3". Also the bushings look to be a bit too big to slide into the hinge holes. I assume I was sold the wrong parts. Or am I supposed to cut them off ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I bought a new set, bushings and pins years ago from Chevrolet. The replacement pins I was told by the parts clerk are a standard length pin for many GM models and will need to be cut to length. The Bushings you received sound like they are not the correct O/D size.
It is OK to cut the pin a little longer if you want, but make sure you remove the burs and put a little taper to the end. Also apply a little white lithium grease before installation.
Brian

Thanks Brian. Do you remember if the bushings were hard to get in on your car ? Maybe I need to press them in there. They look to be just a tiny bit too big to slide in.
Thanks

The bushings should be a tight or press fit. Mine were a press fit. I would put the bushings in your freezer overnight so they shrink up a little. After you have pressed them in wait a few hours letting them sit at room temp to warm up a little before installing the pins. You may need to dress up the pins a little with some fine emery cloth for a nice fit.
Brian

I have a set of pins and bushings and your right the new ones are 4" long and it looks like the originals are about 3". When it gets warmer I'll see if they fit. PG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom