Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 brake pads

mike77

Corvette
1990 convertible
I am resurrecting my 1990 vert after a 12 year sleep. I won't say restoration because it is in excellent condition with 30K miles on it. I re-gasketed the engine, new clutch, new carpet, tires and general clean up. I am looking at brake pads. I was considering ceramic for the low dust factor. All I can seem to find is Ceramic for the front and semi-metallic for the rear. One supplier told me it OK to run different brake material front and rear. I am not so sure of that. What would any of you members recommend for pads or the statement of different pad material?
Thanks for your help
Mike

Corvette Central has ceramic rear pads.
88-96 Rear Ceramic Street Performance Hawk Brake Pad | Corvette Central
Check out the link. I'm sure that there are others out there as well, but I believe that
Corvette Central is also a supporting member of the Corvette Action Center.
Andy :thumb:w

P.S. While you're at it, order both front and rear sets and be done with it!

Last edited:
I will be replacing all the brake pads. 2 of my supplier said Hawks did not list rear ceramic pads. Maybe in Canada they are not available. I was more curious of the statement it is OK to run Ceramic and semi-metallic at the same time. I found front/rear ceramic pads at NAPA. $332.00 Ouch!
Thanks for the info
Mike

Different pad compounds on the front & rear. >> NO <<.

That was my opinion too. NO! Some parts guy said it was OK . I never believe what those guys say. Some of the stuff they come up with is crazy. The best on I heard in a long time was "They never made a 95 Blazer in a 2 wheel drive" OH really! Well I have one in the parking lot I bought new. Would you like to see it. The parts guy just walk away from me.

Mike

That was my opinion too. NO! Some parts guy said it was OK . I never believe what those guys say. Some of the stuff they come up with is crazy. The best on I heard in a long time was "They never made a 95 Blazer in a 2 wheel drive" OH really! Well I have one in the parking lot I bought new. Would you like to see it. The parts guy just walk away from me.

Mike

In a perfect world and on my own cars the pad compounds front to rear are the same.

In reality different compounds front to rear are done all the time based on price and availability of the product, especially in the aftermarket repair shops that can't sell a customer a usually un-needed front and rear brake replacement at the same time, and a lot of times even if they do.

That's very interesting. So for average use it OK. The vette will mostly be used on sunny days shows etc. so it seem like it would be OK. On a more technical aspect such as racing, high performance driving, I would think the different compounds would heat and brake at different rates. The "optimum" braking temp/friction would be achieved at different times. Or maybe I am over thinking this. Should have talked to you guys before I bought my pads!

Mike

That's very interesting. So for average use it OK. The vette will mostly be used on sunny days shows etc. so it seem like it would be OK. On a more technical aspect such as racing, high performance driving, I would think the different compounds would heat and brake at different rates. The "optimum" braking temp/friction would be achieved at different times. Or maybe I am over thinking this. Should have talked to you guys before I bought my pads!

Mike

Your not over thinking it in my opinion, it's good to be aware. The factory installs the same pad material front to rear when new and ideally that should be the case when replaced, but the reality is that most vehicle owners do not know what is being installed when pads are being replaced and usually choose the lower cost option which can lead to different pad materials front to rear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom