Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

c4(L98)to LT1 swap

W

wro87

Can anyone give some guidence as to the possibility of putting a LT1 engine in the C4? Will the engine mate up to the transmission/frame mounts and what about the auxillary equiptment (ie. power ster., alt. bracket, oil coollers, and such) . Just how big of project I am I looking at. Plan on changing out the exhaust (headers). Comments, feedback, and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks WRO87 :confused

Difficult because of the LT1's reverse cooling setup, and the auxiliary stuff will need to be changed.

I am in the same boat. From all the Info I have gathered this swap is possible but you will need to do ALOT of research. The engine and transmission will mount up together. You can use the 4L60E or 700R4. The latter requires that your PCM be programmed as a manual trans since the 700R4 is not computer controlled except for the TCC solenoid. I am still researching this combo. Then their is the matter of Accessory brackets. I am Investigating the use of the Camaro,Impala,Fleetwood brackets in my vette. I was told that these brackets would not work in the 87 Vette since the newer vettes have the Accessory Bracket all cramped together on the drivers side. This swap is an undertaking. If you are not mechanically inclined, Stroke your engine instead. If you are mechanically inclined then prepare to spend a lot of time on the net, in junkyards, reading books and articles. Research the Swap before undertaking it. This is a project that will take up alot of $$$$.$$ so be ready to spend some money.

With the money and work that you're going to put into that swap; I think you would be better off just building that L98. You've gotta pull it anyway. I think it would be cheaper to build the L98 and you can get as much power as you want.

You can even mate an LT1 intake on that L98. I know 69MyWay has done it and I think MadMic is going to do it. That solves the problem of the TPI unit running out of breath at 4800 RPM. Then again, with our auto tranny's, how often are you going to see 4800 RPM?

Edmond said:
Then again, with our auto tranny's, how often are you going to see 4800 RPM?
alot :D

stroke it

Right now I am working on my carbureted Big Block C4 (1986). I removed the L98 and didn't realize how much of a pain it would be. All the fabrication and try'n to get everything to match up. I would stronly suggest the Stroker with your L98. swap'n is a real pain in the A$$.

But hey, If you are VERY mechanically inclined, stroke the LT1

Edmond said:
With the money and work that you're going to put into that swap; I think you would be better off just building that L98. You've gotta pull it anyway. I think it would be cheaper to build the L98 and you can get as much power as you want.

You can even mate an LT1 intake on that L98. I know 69MyWay has done it and I think MadMic is going to do it. That solves the problem of the TPI unit running out of breath at 4800 RPM. Then again, with our auto tranny's, how often are you going to see 4800 RPM?
"with our auto tranny's, how often are you going to see 4800 RPM?"

You obviously haven't ridden with Mic... Sometimes I think he sees more RPMs ABOVE 4800 than below. They don't call him "Mad" Mic for nothing, ya know!
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
They don't call him "Mad" Mic for nothing, ya know!
[RICHR]

You're sure right about that!:L:L:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom