Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 owner has C3 question?

M

motorman_mp3

I am about to buy a 1979, What I would like to know is, How do I check to see if it has a L-48 or a L-82? I think the L-82 was an option that year. PLEASE HELP, I have seen pics. of the car and it looks ok, I would like to at least act like I know what I am talking about.

ok now that I got some great help how do I delete this thread?

Why do you want to delete the thread? :confused
If you'd prefer not to discuss this in open forum, send me a private message.

-Mac

If you are embarrased of being seen posting in the C3 section, then don't post.We are not the snobby C4/C5/C6 types here.;LOL
Geez Louise:eyerole

:w

C4 guy with a C3 question

Maybe I'll pick this one up. Two of my buddies have just bought Sharks one an '82CE the other a work in progress '75 coupe. I've had my Vette going on 3 yrs now and both know that I'm a gearhead so they ask me all kinds of questions. I've directed both to the :CAC and both have at least visited and hopefully joined. I hate being wishy washy on answers so I've been doing a lot of research here and elsewhere.

One of my questions that I've not been able to figure out is Do these cars ... C3's have RPO code sheets? My '90 has one on the lid of the center console and the LT cars ... '92 - '96 ... have one on the lid of one of the rear hatches. I know there is no center console, just an armrest, but I looked everywhere in both cars today. I did a search here and found a reference to an "as built sheet" Are these on all cars? St. Louis / BG / both?

I also know about the tank sheet but from previous experience I know this can be hit or miss. On some C4's people have found build sheets rolled up and tucked inside the frame rail near the passenger floorboard. Has anyone found anything like this on a C3?

Of course I also found the link about getting the Factory Invoice directly from GM for free, but as of 1 Mar 05 I guess they were so overwhelmed now it costs $50. I am going to go ahead and order one for my car just a a nice to have.

Thanks

Thankx GMJunkie

More places to look. I've heard of one stuffed in one of the seat springs.

silver69 said:
If you are embarrased of being seen posting in the C3 section, then don't post.We are not the snobby C4/C5/C6 types here.

No, you C3 owners are a bunch of doped-up hippies! ;LOL

MORE, I googled it.

Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
Little breezes dusk and shiver
Thro' the wave that runs for ever
By the island in the river

Mr Dark said:
No, you C3 owners are a bunch of doped-up hippies! ;LOL

I don't think so ;LOL
DSC01319.JPG

;LOL maybe 30 years ago, but not now ;LOL

BTW I have never found any documentation on my car. I have replaced the gas tank and interior, if it is there someone hid it well !!!

Thanks BossVette

How the heck did you fit that tpi under the hood? We measured 24 inches from the pan up to the bottom of the closed hood. Haven't measured the height of my engine yet, but I'm thinking its gonna be too tall.

Well this thing (the '75) is looking worse and worse each day. It looks like all the switches are shot, wiring harness ... useless, carpet is all out except under the seats which won't move ... rusted in place. The sliders look like one giant lump of rust. Getting them seats out is gonna be a Pain.

The TPI fits under the stock hood, the Stealth Ram by Holley doesn't, but should fit under a L88 style. I believe there is more room under a C3 hood then the newer models.

Hrtbeat1 look at the bright side at least you are not cutting up a pristine NCRS type, do what you like with it. The best mod on mine is the OD trans and the TPI

BTW I had to burn one of my seat bolts out, just have a fire extinguisher handy and be sure everything you plan to keep is off the car.:L

Vettehead Mikey said:
Gee, you waited a whole 24 minutes before you posted that?

Look at the VIN on the windshield post. The fifth character will tell you the engine type. 8 = L48, 4 = L82.

Hey Motorman_mp3, keep in mind that 79 is 26 years old.....so the VIN tells you what engine it started out with...not necessarily what is in it now.....;) Ok, now let's hear more about those C3 doped up hippies...........:Silly

Awesome BossVette

383 tpi with Brodix heads manthat puppy ought to scream. It sure does look like it was made for it. What 5 speed did you go with? Keisler?

Yea your right this is no NCRS car so we can hack it up. I may see if I can graft my '90 Dana 36 rear in this thing. Just to upgrade the brakes in the back. It's gonna be a lot of work, but that's half the fun right.

Kiesler wasn't around when I did mine, Fortes was the first to offer the Tremec with a Chevy kit. I used the TKO; this was back in 99 and the offset shifter wasn't availabe so I made my own shift plate
DSC01155.JPG

I like having a Not Correctly Restored Stingray :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom