Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 re-defined

Emtmike

Corvette
1981 Biege & Dark Bronze Coupe
This is my own opinion but I think that the C4 definition should be re-classified :D. I think the C4 classification should have started with the '78 and ended with the '82 :cool. I think there were too many changes done after the '77 models to classify the '78-82 models as C3 corvettes. These years were longer, sleeker, and smoother design. Yes, they didn't have the massive horsepower, but they made it up in style and comfort. Just something to think about for all the people who wished they too could own a '78-82 C4 corvette :upthumbs.

It seems to me that the generations are classified more by major body style changes than anything performance related. Although definitely different, the '68 and '82 are similar enough in exterior design for them to be classified in the same generation. The same can be said of the '63-'67, the '84-'96, and the '97-'04.

The exception - I've always thought that the exterior design changes in the 1956 model from the 1955 model should have signaled a new generation.

But that's just me.
:wJane Ann

Major Body Style changes is what prompted a new generation of corvette. If there were new generations for every time the interior changed or engine modifications then there would be three times as many generations. Keep it simple. The difference between an 84 and a 96 are very significant but I think the vehicles look the same.

A bit more information too.. which might not mean anything :boogie

This whole generation thing started because of the survival of the Corvette :D I remember calling them Staight Axles, MidYears, Steel Bumpers, CokeBottles... oh, back to the information...

The C1 are basically Straight Axle
The C2 are the Mid Years (major change in suspension IRS)
The C3 basically same suspension from C2's major body style change
The C4 New frame and complete new direction
The C5 another major design in drive train and frame/body/engine control
The C6 body change, redefinition of the body design

Well those are maybe some factors to consider too ...

I made it through to a 93 then went backwards to a C3... Now I wait for my C5 to get here. I know nothing about the C5 other than what I've read about them, they have those computer things on them :eek

Bud

The C4s were completely new cars. With the exception of engines and transmissions in the 84s, nothing much from a C3 swaps to a C4.

The 53-62 models all used the same frame and 102" wheelbase. Nothing much changed on these cars other than styling and engine displacement. These cars never had factory air, power steering, or power brakes.

The 63-82 cars all use the same frame (with minor changes) and the same 98" wheel base.

:)

I've got an old Corvette book that came out about the time the "C4" did and it referred to the generations as:

C1 - 53-55
C2 - 56-57
C3 - 58-62
C4 - 63-67
C5 - 68-82

That book obviously based generation numbers on significant body changes. The "C4" whould have been C6 in the authors eyes.

The current generation numbering appears to be based on significant chassis changes but that's not right either since the 63 through 82 have basically the same chassis.

Chevy didn't create this mess, the Corvette media did and we're probably stuck with it.

I prefer names vice generation numbers like: Straight Axle, Mid-Year or Sting Ray, and Sharks. The problem is that the "C4/5/6" didn't get named except by generation numbers. One name I thought appropriate for the C4 is "Clam" as in "clam shell hood." The C5 would be "Big Butt." The C6 - no clue.

I prefer names vice generation numbers like: Straight Axle, Mid-Year or Sting Ray, and Sharks. The problem is that the "C4/5/6" didn't get named except by generation numbers. One name I thought appropriate for the C4 is "Clam" as in "clam shell hood." The C5 would be "Big Butt." The C6 - no clue.
All Stingrays/Sting Rays are Sharks, but not all Sharks are Stingrays/Sting Rays. :D
And given the number of years that the cars have been around, what exactly is "mid-year" anymore? There's no obvious point of reference. :D

Going by body styles is tricky business. I think the 1980 looks more like the 1968 than does the 1979. Heck, for that matter, the C3's started taking the different look after dropping the chrome and didn't get back to the curvy front & rear again until 1980.

And what does all this mean when they talk of the 1967 being the last shark or something like that???

From the car's genesis, there were many changes being made every couple years, most notably in body styles. Now, decades into the production, the changes are more evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
As long as the changes are evolutionary instead of revolutionary, I think anyone could argue what really makes the next Corvette a "new generation of Corvette"?
One could argue that that 2009 ZR1 is (r)evolutionary enough to be the start of a new generation.
I seem to recall GM saying that very few parts from the C5 transferred to the C6, hence a 'new generation'. And I think that also applies more or less to the changes from 82 to 83/84.

That's my 2¢. Don't spend it all in one place. :L

I made it through to a 93 then went backwards to a C3... Now I wait for my C5 to get here. I know nothing about the C5 other than what I've read about them, they have those computer things on them :eek

Bud

Still no car, Bud? When do you expect it?

Still no car, Bud? When do you expect it?

Some Stupid Auction in AZ has InterCity Transport up against the wall... They have to get over 200 cars to Scottsdale by the 12th... and the weather is messing that up too :ugh

I'm still on the pick up list :w right after the last car gets to Scottsdale and the North East digs a hole big enough for some sunshine. :W :cry

Bud

I thought that the mid-years also carried the "Sting Ray" tag. Did it not came back as "Stingray" in 1969?
I believe that in 1963 the Script on the rear said "Corvette" with small block letters "Sting Ray" directly below Corvette!!:upthumbs But I've been wrong before!!:D

I believe that in 1963 the Script on the rear said "Corvette" with small block letters "Sting Ray" directly below Corvette!!:upthumbs But I've been wrong before!!:D
I found a Image!!:upthumbs
attachment.php

All Stingrays/Sting Rays are Sharks, but not all Sharks are Stingrays/Sting Rays.
And what does all this mean when they talk of the 1967 being the last shark or something like that???
See how tricky all this is??? Why did the 67 get a sting ray designation?

C2, C6, C11, C16...who cares? If it's not a "C1", then it's everything and anything else. Regardless of the C-designation, it's a CORVETTE, baby!
:beer

See how tricky all this is??? Why did the 67 get a sting ray designation?
Why did 63,64,65,66?? 63 up through 67 had that same emblem!!;shrug Just Lucky I guess! :D:D:D

...All Stingrays/Sting Rays are Sharks, but not all Sharks are Stingrays/Sting Rays...what exactly is "mid-year" anymore?...

It would be correct to say all Stingrays are Sharks, but all Sting Rays are C2s and not Sharks. My '68 is a Shark, but it is neither a Stingray nor a Sting Ray. After the 76 models, no C3s are Stingrays.

The term "mid-year" originated while the C3s were in production. At that time, the 53-62 straight axle cars were called Classics or Straight Axles. The Sharks were the new cars. The 63-67 Sting Rays fell in the middle of the two groups and began to be called "Mid Years."

The C1, C2, C3, etc., designation did not originate until the C4 cars were under development. The automotive literati writing in the magazines at the time came up with the C4 tag for the new car. It was a simple step to come up with a generation name for all of the earlier cars. If you read back through Corvette literature printed before 1983, no one was using C1, C2, or C3.

:)

Why did 63,64,65,66?? 63 up through 67 had that same emblem!!;shrug Just Lucky I guess! :D:D:D

Well technically they are not the same emblem. The script on the 63-65 cars had the Corvette script angled and in 66 the script was straight up and down.

Well technically they are not the same emblem. The script on the 63-65 cars had the Corvette script angled and in 66 the script was straight up and down.
You know Tom,of course you do!!;LOLHe's right!! :D

I love my C3 and I have no need to ever own a C4
I love my C3's too,But that don't stop me from owning 1 C4 and 2 C5's!!!!:D:D:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom