Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 targa top mounting

rlvincent

I just purchased a targa top for my '93 Vette from ebay.
The Problem: The front mtg. holes on the TOP are 31.5" apart.
The front mtg. holes on the CAR are 32.5" apart.

What is the most cost effective, and easiest method to install this top to the car??????

Bob
1-239-896-4160

Not trying to be smart, but short answer is: Return the top and get a correct one. I would think a C4 targa is a C4 targa. Aparently not.

Not trying to be smart, but short answer is: Return the top and get a correct one. I would think a C4 targa is a C4 targa. Aparently not.
Nope!! there are 3 different top mounting configurations!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

You can change out the hardware and windshield interior trim on the car it's self if you can find it!!But that stuff is getting hard to find,you'll bout need a donor car!:thumb:thumb:thumb
(84-86 1/2) (86 1/2 - 88) (89-96)

attachment.php

Had the same issue with my 92. Had to fab a couple of new pieces that bolt to the top. After a little adjusting it fits great and seals better than the original.

No. I was going to make some more if there was any need for them. Could pull the top and take some pic's. Out of town right now though.

I made new ones. I have a shop... have been doing Orange County Chopper kind of stuff all my life.

Look at the pic's that Junk posted. The new bracket looks like the middle picture with the cone moved over to fit the car like the old bracket.

C4 Targa Top

The top that I am replacing, and that fits my '93 Vette has a bracket like on the RIGHT Junk posted.

The Fiber Glass top that I bought has a bracket like in the Middle that Junk posted. The top that I just bought came off from a '92 Vette which should fit my '93.

Is the Cone located in the car, or is that the 3rd. design for the roof?

Wouldn't a flat bracket with the same (2) hole mounting pattern to the roof, and a weld nut located 1/2" to the outboard side should work????

The cone I am referring to is what you are calling the mounting nut. It is cone shaped. Your issue is exactly the same as mine was. The top that you bought from Ebay is not original equiptment on a 1992. You are right about moving the nut over. First you have to make the cone shaped nut so that it will fit in the dimple on the car. Then it has to be welded to a new bracket. The cone shaped nut will be too close to the new hole to use the original mounting bolt. You have to countersink the hole and then use a countersink type of bolt. I will try to get some pic's Monday.

C4 Targa Top Mounting

I just purchased a targa top for my '93 Vette from ebay.
The Problem: The front mtg. holes on the TOP are 31.5" apart.
The front mtg. holes on the CAR are 32.5" apart.

What is the most cost effective, and easiest method to install this top to the car??????

Bob
1-239-896-4160

I believe I have the opposite problem. Maybe we could swap components.
... Ron

You can loosen the mounting bolts and adjust, my replacement top had to be adjusted. Because of the flex in these cars, each car is slightly different.
Also, is the mounting bracket like the one in junkies pic?
If it is, you need to adjust and if it is like the middle one, you can buy an adapter bracket from Ecklers and such.

New GM Targa Top

I have a brand new GM 3rd design mounting Targa Top still in the box. Problem is, My car is a early 1986. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to be able to use it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom