Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 The Most Maligned Model?

My opinion is the C4 will go down as the most driven Corvette out of all the generations. They are technical but still maintainable. They drive as well as any modern day car... hop in a late 70's and earlier Vette and drive down the highway going 75 and it sounds like the engine wants to blow through the hood, a C4 will purr down the highway.

The C5's on up go past the technical limits of the shade tree mechanic. There are so many electronics: drive by wire, air pressure sensors in the wheels, no door handles, etc. etc. There is a point where too many things break and they aren't worth fixing. This isn't so, and won't be, with the C4. You can put 200k miles on one, change the engine out and keep on going. There are electronics and sensors but they won't overwhelm anyone that keeps up with the car.

So onto the 'best' C4 with this in mind. Generally the rule of thumb is the newer the C4 the better. In the concept of this discussion though, where you want to drive the car and pass it down to your kids... I think the 1991 is the best year. The kinks were worked out and you get a standard Gen 1 350. The black label ZF 6 speed was available and is strong. The computer was simplified... no MAF to deal with or OBDII means less sensors. Excellent MPG and even though the horsepower isn't that great it's got enough torque to pull tree stumps out of the ground which means it is fun as heck to drive stoplight to stoplight.

Is it just me or is the C4 the most maligned model series? I love my C4 more everyday the more I look around and the more I see. Of course having an LT4 is a bit of gravy over an early L98 but the guy with the latter likely loves his just as much as me. I found myself rescently "looking" at C5's just out of curiosity as their market is falling out. Most likely due to the impending C7 which I am sure will be a wonderful and monumental testament to the brand that each of us will lust after but few will own. But I digress, not so long ago the C3 was a rusty product of hap hazard mass marketing from the late 70's - 80's that the "poor" rednecks and pimp wanna bee's could afford. Now it has come to command the repect due as it displays a certain panash of 80's extravagance and "over the topness". Try and find an 82 less than 10k, or just try and find an 82 period for sale. (I think 82 was the quintisential model). Wow I just cant stay on track, sorry, it just seems that the C4 gets no respect, they are mearly future trash and foder for kit cars. When I bought my 96 LT4 (like there was another year) it was to keep for a couple of years and "upgrade" to a C5 and so on. I know begin to see the treasure I own as something I may well never part ways with. It has gobs of power, handling like no other car I have driven, sex appeal and what seems to be a burgeoning market. I love all Vettes, really I do. I have been a fan since I was a kid of six when my brother gave me a Hot Wheels red roadster and I ZL1hooked. Wish I still had that one! Bottom line is respect. We cant all afford a 53 roadster, a ZL1, 67 427 or a 2012 ZR1 and so on but respect for each other and model year is to be expected. After all the wave is not exclusive to 97 and up. Any way sorry for the wandering Merlot induced rant, I've just been feeling a bit of the inferiority complex being fed down from the 50k+ club. Just remember, each model has kept the breed alive and has championed improvements and innovation. With out the success of the C4, there is no C7. Just say'in

Cheers, :beer:w

Nice.

I've not experienced the trash talk some people direct at the C4 specifically; I have heard some trash talk the Corvette in general - but it's usually a non-owner so you take that as a bit of jealousy, you know the "I don't have one so I'm going to try and convince you it's because I don't want one." :L

And while there is generally a sense of camaraderie among Vette owners of all generations, there are always a few that look upon owners of any generation but theirs as second class citizens. A few weeks ago I stopped next to a '60 in a parking lot to say hello and compliment the owner and the man would barely speak to me. In fact, I began to think he wasn't going to respond to me at all, when he finally did answer my question as to the model year of his Vette. He made me feel as if I was imposing so I gave up and drove away. I would have chalked it up to him being in a hurry, but it was one of those little Saturday afternoon parking lot gatherings of classic cars and hot rods so one would assume he was there to socialize. Guess not. :chuckle

I just do what I can to keep the traditions going, but if others don't seem interested or meet me halfway, I consider it their loss and go on. I'm too old to care what others think. As for me, I'd own one from each generation if it was financially possible for me to do so. :thumb

Gone but not forgotten:

1994_TorchRed_Convertible.jpg

:wJane Ann

I had the same experience also. Thought I was the only one.

I disagree with both listening to little minds or any other label others (I hear none) a few may utrter about any C4 and the por reviews of the '84. The car made a huge leap and quite the splash when introduced, with all of it due. I said before, that all the car was lacking was more power and some screws to eliminate rattles. I fixed the power issue and this car is beastly fun to drive!

From an engineer who adapts C4 suspensions to early trucks: "the difference in handling in the C5 or C6 suspension is about 5%". Exactly what percentage of what, I have no clue, but I'd bet the variance in drivers is far wider.

Like what ya have; choose to be happy. The downer types, obviously, are not. (Have ya seen the photo of the 930 with an LS3?) :w

Not to hiack this thread but tell us what you did to get more power!!! I have a 84 C4 and absolutely love the car. I have fixed the rattles but 17" chrome grand sport wheels on it and completely redid the entire interrior (Seats, All Carpet, Mats, Sun Visors, Door Panels, Rear View Mirror, etc) Now I want more power :).

Long Live the C4! People compliment the car all the time....Take pride in your ownership and save the wave.

I love my C4, and like you a few years ago I looked at some C5's, mainly because I wanted more performance than I was getting out of my L98. After spending some time looking and considering what I would have to spend, I chose to put 5 grand into my motor. I now have the car I love and the power to take down plenty of more expensive C5's.

C4/c5

Is it just me or is the C4 the most maligned model series? I love my C4 more everyday the more I look around and the more I see. Of course having an LT4 is a bit of gravy over an early L98 but the guy with the latter likely loves his just as much as me. I found myself rescently "looking" at C5's just out of curiosity as their market is falling out. Most likely due to the impending C7 which I am sure will be a wonderful and monumental testament to the brand that each of us will lust after but few will own. But I digress, not so long ago the C3 was a rusty product of hap hazard mass marketing from the late 70's - 80's that the "poor" rednecks and pimp wanna bee's could afford. Now it has come to command the repect due as it displays a certain panash of 80's extravagance and "over the topness". Try and find an 82 less than 10k, or just try and find an 82 period for sale. (I think 82 was the quintisential model). Wow I just cant stay on track, sorry, it just seems that the C4 gets no respect, they are mearly future trash and foder for kit cars. When I bought my 96 LT4 (like there was another year) it was to keep for a couple of years and "upgrade" to a C5 and so on. I know begin to see the treasure I own as something I may well never part ways with. It has gobs of power, handling like no other car I have driven, sex appeal and what seems to be a burgeoning market. I love all Vettes, really I do. I have been a fan since I was a kid of six when my brother gave me a Hot Wheels red roadster and I ZL1hooked. Wish I still had that one! Bottom line is respect. We cant all afford a 53 roadster, a ZL1, 67 427 or a 2012 ZR1 and so on but respect for each other and model year is to be expected. After all the wave is not exclusive to 97 and up. Any way sorry for the wandering Merlot induced rant, I've just been feeling a bit of the inferiority complex being fed down from the 50k+ club. Just remember, each model has kept the breed alive and has championed improvements and innovation. With out the success of the C4, there is no C7. Just say'in

Cheers, :beer:w
I had 2002 C5 triple black convertible with 10,000 miles on it and sold it for a '96 Collectors Edition LT4 convertible with 9,600 miles on it. This is my 3rd C4 1986 coupe, 1990 ZR-1 and this one.I'll take this car over a C5 anyday including the Z06 much nicer lines than the C5 and much more a true roadster the Corvette was meant to be in my opinion.

I am new to Corvette altogether other than one short drive of a C4 back in 1992. From back in the day I was a Mopar fan and growing up admired the Vette but would never have owned one. My oh my how times have changed.

I now admire these Chevy's to the point I had to own one! In my research I found the C4's to be the most appealing. Just opening the hood is about as awe inspiring as it can get with a car. These place you to the road with minimal intervention from the vehicle. The LT-4, OMG the power and I see 29+ mpg at 65 on a clear day from a 17 year old engine.

You have to look at it in the fact too that Corvette, even in the lean years, has stayed the course. That is true of every generation and year made. This has to demand some respect from every one of them. This isn't even to mention all of the millions of smiles through all the years these are responsible for.

For this thread though I would have never known there would be people within the Corvette family that prejudiced any generation of Vettes. I can see preferences as we all have them. But it is true as stated here they have all led to one another. Without each year the C7 would just not be and each generation and year is a true Corvette!

I am new to Corvette altogether other than one short drive of a C4 back in 1992. From back in the day I was a Mopar fan and growing up admired the Vette but would never have owned one. My oh my how times have changed.

I now admire these Chevy's to the point I had to own one! In my research I found the C4's to be the most appealing. Just opening the hood is about as awe inspiring as it can get with a car. These place you to the road with minimal intervention from the vehicle. The LT-4, OMG the power and I see 29+ mpg at 65 on a clear day from a 17 year old engine.

You have to look at it in the fact too that Corvette, even in the lean years, has stayed the course. That is true of every generation and year made. This has to demand some respect from every one of them. This isn't even to mention all of the millions of smiles through all the years these are responsible for.

For this thread though I would have never known there would be people within the Corvette family that prejudiced any generation of Vettes. I can see preferences as we all have them. But it is true as stated here they have all led to one another. Without each year the C7 would just not be and each generation and year is a true Corvette!

Very well expressed my friend! Welcome to Vertism! :upthumbs

Vertism (vurtizm) v. : The study, ownership, admiration, love affair and total infatuation with fore said.

Yeah, I made that up and it aint that funny....haha

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom