Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 factory radio / iPod adapter

Sbruce

Corvette
2001 coupe millennium yellow
After spending an hour looking for a simple way to connect my iPod to my 2001 C5 factory radio, I have deduced there is none (simple, anyway) Anybody got any suggestions. I've looked at amazon and ebay but the compatibility and installation infor is sketchy at best. What really works? Thanks in advance

After spending an hour looking for a simple way to connect my iPod to my 2001 C5 factory radio, I have deduced there is none (simple, anyway) Anybody got any suggestions. I've looked at amazon and ebay but the compatibility and installation infor is sketchy at best. What really works? Thanks in advance

Mid America has a kit to install an Ipod interface into a C5. It uses the "cupholder" as a mounting location. I have this arangement in my Z06 and it works great! A bit pricy but... :thumb Just go to the MAMW website and search for Ipod C5. It uses the CD Changer interface so you can control the device from the radio controls!

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/newsearch.aspx?S=ipod%20interface&Y=&G=C5&C=

Last edited:
Before I buy I spend a lot of time researching. Although, I may not be interested in the product; the reviews can be helpful with the product I am interested in by pointing out bad or good stuff.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: iSimple Factory Radio Interface with CD Changer Control for Select GM Vehicles - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black

Some of the reviews can be humorous.. :D

"The cables included are not used for the Corvette. Unfortunately, I did not find this out until tearing the dash apart to install it."

I know laughing is mean, but I can't help myself..... ;LOL;LOL

Check out this link here on CAC. Get an i-Simple from Double D Mod's, plugs right in to factory harness. Ez Pz :thumb I've used the i-simple too, it works awesome!! The folks at Double D Mod's will hook you up when you call'em. Tell them what you have and what you are trying to do, and they will tell you exactly what you need. Excellent people to deal with.

[h=1]'04 radio/cd player question Go thru the entire thread. There's several install pic's of members' cars. (including mine)[/h]iPod Installation in C5 Using iSimple PXDP and PXHGM4

http://www.doubledmods.com/

http://www.toquez06.com/ipod.html

Last edited:
I installed the iSimple from Double D and I am very pleased with the results. I can keep the iPod in the center console and it appears perfectly stock. The CD player works as usual and the radio controls also control the iPod. A perfect solution for me.

I highly recommend also that you contact Dennis at DoubleDMods. That is where I got my adapter. He provides 2 types. One connects to the radio which is the one I bought. I routed the connection down into the passenger side so they can hold the iPod in their hands or I can reach it easily.

If you have a CD changer in the rear he can provide one that plugs into it and you route it from there with no radio removal. If you have a rear CD player but chose to connect at the radio you will need to disconnect the CD player like I did so the radio does not see a conflict in inputs.

In case you need to access the radio you can use this to remove the bezel (disregard the title):

Installation of Vette Essentials' Custom Emergency Brake Handle and Boot

The wiring makes getting to the rear connectors a PITA. DO NOT pull on the wire but just the connectors. I think there are 3 plus the antenna. Have a picture somewhere. Each one has a tab that has to be depressed to remove. In removing the antenna coxial connector I used a small pair of pliers and twisted on the metal sheath to remove it since it was really stuck in there.

I highly recommend also that you contact Dennis at DoubleDMods. That is where I got my adapter. He provides 2 types. One connects to the radio which is the one I bought.

If you have a CD changer in the rear he can provide one that plugs into it and you route it from there with no radio removal. If you have a rear CD player but chose to connect at the radio you will need to disconnect the CD player like I did so the radio does not see a conflict in inputs.

This is the type I had.....removed it in May after the installation of my new head unit that does it all for me.

iPod mod

About two months ago I bought the "Double D Mod" iPod kit for my 1998 coupe directly from Double D. I had a working 12 CD changer in the trunk but every little bump I hit the CD would skip. With the included adapter cable the Double D Mod control box plugged right into the connector for the CD changer with the changer unplugged and remaining in place. The control box is in the trunk next to it.

I now have hundreds of songs on my old iPod which are controlled by the radio knobs and buttons.

The unit is a great value for the money with no skipping if bumps are in the road.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom