Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C5 Headlight Motor Gear Replacement

Icemanclev

Corvette
1999 Pewter Vert.
Does anyone have any expereience replacing the headlight motor gear? My right side headlight will nto go up. The motor runs but all you hear is a grind noise. Figure it is the plactic gear. I also cannot manuall crank the headlight up because of this. UGH!

Any insights on how to replace this part would be greatly appreciated!;help

I didn't see anything in the technical documents area hence my post.

Thanks a million!

Tim

6 Shooter,

Thanks for the help! A major brain cramp on my part!.

Thanks again!

Tim

I replaced my passenger side gear this past summer. There are some great how-to's out there, some with pictures. Just Google it. It took me about two hours to replace it and honestly, it was a breeze. Just make sure to purchase the metal replacement gear so you don't have to do it again. I purchased an extra replacement gear kit for when the other side inevitably fails. If memory serves me right, each kit was about $40 - $50 Cdn. I purchased them online at a Canadian performance parts supplier. These kits are readily available in the US. The kit contains a replacement gasket, brass gear, and glue to re-seal the access port for, I believe, the later model C5's. Mine is also a Pewter '99 Vert and I didn't need the glue as that year was attached with bolts. Good luck.

THANKS!

All,

Thanks for the helpful information!

I received my new brass gear this past week and replaced it this morning. The how-to's on Google and other parts of this forum were very helpful. As you all noted, it took @ 2hrs on the nose!

As a side not to anyone else doing this, make sure you have a T20 Torx bit for your rachet set. You'll probably need it to remove the headlisght assembly.

Thanks again. It;s great to have fellow vette owners to rely upon for useful information.

Tim McGinty ;)

I am experiencing the same problem this weekend with my 99' Convertible. I have one question guys. I did a google search and found two different methods. One required the removal of the headlight assembly, and another just the motor unit.

Has anyone done the gear replacement without removal of the entire headlight assembly?

Mike

yes and it is super simple. a total of 3 screws and 3 boltsa and the whole thing comes out. you then take off the motor assembly and prey it open carefully and replace the gear. reverse the procedure. make very sure that the glue is dry and is hard before putting everything back together. edram454

I removed the entire assembly. It wasn't that difficult to do. Remember, if your's is a '99, you shouldn't need the glue. Just replace the gasket on the gear access port and tighten the three small bolts.

So, when this thing fails, is it intermitent or quits all at once. My passenger side sometimes fails to open but turning off/on a few times makes it work. Sounds like I may need a new gear as well. Does this sound right?

Thanks,
JJ

If the gear is going out you will hear it grinding!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom