Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Quality Issues

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Since this Forum sees little traffic and I'm hoping to try and turn that around before removing it, I figured I'd try and start a good, quality thread.

So....for you C5 owners out there.....what are some of the quality issues you have with your C5 Corvettes? What kinds of squeaks and rattles have you found, if any? Have you found any annoyances, or problem areas with some of the features of the car, such as Memory Seats, or HUD if so equipped?

I'd like to know how they keep the HUD area on the dashboard clean. It looks like it could gather quite a bit of dust and trash over time. :(

Ken

There was an article in the National Corvette Owners Association web news letter about the steering wheel locking mechinsim faliling to unlock the wheel when the car was turned on. It's happend to a lot of C5's and GM seems more than happy to replace the locks on any C5 weather or not they have failed.

That is the only QC issue I've heard about with the C5's. Ken brings up a good point about the HUD too. That would be difficult to keep clean I would think.

Jason

I took delivery of my C-5 on August 28th and I am very happy with it. I haven't had any problems at all. I have read about the steering wheel locking, but I don't think it's a problem for the automatics, which is what I have. I could be wrong though. :)

Patti

We've had our 98 Pace Car since Feb. 20, 1998, it's a 6 speed and have not had a problem with the steering wheel locking. I don't know if it is a problem with the newer C5's or all C5's. But it has not been a problem with ours. :) :w

1. SILICONE Leaks in Door Strips
2. KEY Chime stopped working, needed fixing
3. AC Not blowing as it should

I have a '99 6 Speed Convertible. It only
has 6400 miles on it and I've had both
door strips replaced due to leakage. One started leaking the first week I purcchased the car.

My A/C is not blowing as well as it did - sometimes I get very little out of it. I'm
taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning, especially because I'm selling the car.

I think GM workmanship in general is a 6 on
a 1-10 scale. Its no different in the Vettes.r strips

c5 quality issues

Hello, I am a new user and a proud owner of a '01 c5. I've had it since February and the only problem I've seen so far is that the door strips leak, but I also read that there is a problem with the design of c5's and that the finish on the doors will have a lot of damage with time. Is that true? Did this happen to anybody? Please reply.:W:

plujan,

We've had our 98 Pace Car since Feb. 20, 1998 and have not had a problem with the finish. :W:

• Admin
Plujan,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. I live in Reston, not too far from you. I noticed you have a 2001 Electron Blue Corvette listed in your profile. I thought Electron Blue was a first for 2002?

C5 quality issues

Bought an 01 brand new, few to many issues condsidering this was a big $ car at the time. I have owned 6 Corvettes and eveyone has had quality issues. These issues have me looking at their competition.
1) recall for sterring lock
2) replaced window trim around front and back windows cosemetic issues from factory
3) front end tow set 2 degrees off on right front from factory new tires at 6000 miles.
4) power steering lines leaking and had to be replaced

I think that a car in this elite class should not have these issues with less than 25,000 miles on the car.

Bought an 01 brand new, few to many issues condsidering this was a big $ car at the time. I have owned 6 Corvettes and eveyone has had quality issues. These issues have me looking at their competition.
1) recall for sterring lock
2) replaced window trim around front and back windows cosemetic issues from factory
3) front end tow set 2 degrees off on right front from factory new tires at 6000 miles.
4) power steering lines leaking and had to be replaced

I think that a car in this elite class should not have these issues with less than 25,000 miles on the car.

Did you realize that this thread has been inactive since May 2001? That's almost a decade!

-Mac

Did you realize that this thread has been inactive since May 2001? That's almost a decade!

-Mac
wow! about as long as I've been a member

Whooooaaaa, talk about waking the dead........another generation is out and is 6 years old. This must be some sort of record...:happyanim:

If is is dead remove it and if its dead why are you reading and posting. All I wanted to find out is exactly what I posted. Got a problem with that?

If is is dead remove it and if its dead why are you reading and posting. All I wanted to find out is exactly what I posted. Got a problem with that?

My goodness! You should unclench before you start making diamonds! No-one was criticizing you... or at least I certainly wasn't!

Forums are like conversations. When someone, out of the blue, restarts a conversation which hasn't been discussed in a decade, it's unusual. I added my remarks because most folks expect a reply when they make a comment and, as I said, this thread has been quiet for a long time. Some of those originally involved in this thread are no longer with us.

We don't remove many threads as it's surprising how often interesting content is added which people want to retrieve, sometimes years later.

-Mac

Same here....sorry if we touched a nerve. Like Mac said, it's just very unusual for a thread that has been dormant so many years to come back. Hey, if you got the info you needed that's great.....:w

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG:bash

Water pump went at about 95,000 miles. Brakes only lasted to 130,000 miles...

Bought an 02 and had R8C 11/5/01. ran the car heavily on the track in all these years, taught 3 women how to drive stick and let them take it on the track, have double & triple stinted it at the track sharing it with others. Now has 101900 miles and it's on the second rotors (changed at 65k just to be sure). At 100k did the clutch because it was a little stiff, just put in Pfadt poly bushings in control arms (had to replace one arm because of ball joint), changed the shocks and the hubs, new spark plugs and wires and new hoses under the hood and an air filter element and lastly a new idler pulley. Oh yeah, I had a turn signal bulb die at 95k. No complaints whatsoever and enjoyed the ride to work today. Those who know how much I track will appreciate the ruggedness of the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom