Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5's In The Snow

GS Diva said:
Ahhh....this "does it or doesn't it drive well in the snow" discussion could go on forever!:D The point I'm making is that in the cold, snowy Northeast, we usually have snow so significant that NO Corvette could make it easily or safely. I don't know what the winters are like in Missouri, but Boston can have very tough winters. I'm happy to say that this winter seems to be abnormally mild...and we're lovin' it!!:)

Elaine

There are snows so significant that nothing short of a Snowcat can get through. I was simply replying to your statement of absolute:

"That's very true...but Corvettes do not handle well in the snow, either, good driver or not!"

I'll concede that if I'm "plowing snow" with my air dam - I don't drive, but other then that, toss me my keys.

Heck - Ya live in Missouri

PreacherNutshot said:
I'll concede that if I'm "plowing snow" with my air dam - I don't drive, but other then that, toss me my keys.
PreacherNutshot

My Corvette:
2004 Spiral Grey Coupe

You hardly get any snow! ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

PreacherNutshot said:
There are snows so significant that nothing short of a Snowcat can get through. I was simply replying to your statement of absolute:

"That's very true...but Corvettes do not handle well in the snow, either, good driver or not!"

What snow a few inches a year and it's all gone in a week.:rotfl

I think I can safely say, that while a C5 is not the preferred vehicle for snow and ice, if there is less than 4-5 inches on the road, it is drivable. Several times, I have been caught on the road when snow started, and with a little care and caution, made it home. In fact, last Sat., after sitting in a jet for 5 1/2 hours of sleet and freezing rain, which eventually caused the first ever total cancellation of Fedex air ops in Memphis, I deiced and hopped into my 02 coupe, and carefully drove 13 miles home. Other than an occasional TC or AH activation, it was no problem. Granted, I never went above 37 mph (idle in 5th), but most who did, including SUVs, were sliding around.

Some people will never learn.. Im 27 and I dont even like mine seeing the rain never mind the snow.. Right now its covered up in a heated garage untill summer, the way every vette should be treated...

Tigershark_11 said:
Im 27 and I dont even like mine seeing the rain never mind the snow.
If ya don't own a Golden Oldie, a little rain is good for em every now and then. They won't melt, heck that's why they have windshield wipers! ;)

Tigershark_11 said:
Some people will never learn.. Im 27 and I dont even like mine seeing the rain never mind the snow.. Right now its covered up in a heated garage untill summer, the way every vette should be treated...

Some people actually drive their cars daily.

fdxpilot said:
Some people actually drive their cars daily, come rain or shine.

Yup even in Ohio
DSC00130.JPG

Mine is sitting outside waiting for me to go to work in a few minutes as we speak/type

Tigershark_11 said:
Is this Remo in disguise.........we know your tricks.

Bioscache2 said:
Is this Remo in disguise.........we know your tricks.

Ryan - honest it's not me. Although mine certainly belongs in the "garage queen" catagory - there are other that are just as bad as me - Like Tigershark_11. Hey how's things at the academy?

Remo:cool

Coming late to the topic, but I have something to add.

I used to think RWD cars sucked in the snow, until my first winter driving a Crown Vic PI w/ winter tires around. With the exception of when you have too much snow for ground clearance, I believe driving in the snow is 70% tires, 30% driveline layout.

Yes, Subaru STIs CAN be great in the snow, unless you're on the factory Potenza 070s. They are basically DOT racing slicks after 20k miles. Thats why most STI owners have 2 sets of wheels, one with 070s, and one with normally Blizzaks or WintersportM3s.

I believe every daily driven Corvette in a climate that sees snow should have an el-cheapo set of wheels with winter tires handy. All-seasons IMO are no option at all, that is just choosing to have crappy traction in both conditions.

Pursuit in Progress,
First of all, welcome to the Corvette Action Center. :w

Second, can we abbreviate your name as "PIP?"

My experience with my Z06 has been that tires will give you only marginal assistance in certainly weather situations. In October, I was headed down to Colorado Springs for my sister's birthday when the overcast gray skies provided first a sort of cold rain, and then changed over into a snow squall. The roads developed a layer of ice on them that was quickly covered up by the snow- an almost perfectly frictionless surface.

My Z06 completely lost the ability to hold the road and slid to the shoulder at the first curve I had to navigate. Snow tires would not have helped, as the problem was how light my Z06 was relative to how much torque it generated. I had been monitoring the Weather Channel all morning, and there was no warning that conditions would deteriorate that quickly, and it was actually fascinating (in a strictly analytic sort of way) to observe just how fast the road conditions changed. Litterally, within ten miles, I went from dry roads to this ice and snow muck.

The funny thing was, just as quickly as the storm blew in, it blew out, too. Within two hours of the snowfall stopping, enough melting had taken place that with a push from a Good Samaratan, I was able to get going again.

I guess my point is that while you will get some benefit from snow tires, I suspect it isn't as great an assist as you might think when it comes to a high powered, light weight vehicle like the Corvette in a "black ice" sort of circumstance.

-Patrick

Pursuit_in_Progress said:
Coming late to the topic, but I have something to add.

I used to think RWD cars sucked in the snow, until my first winter driving a Crown Vic PI w/ winter tires around. With the exception of when you have too much snow for ground clearance, I believe driving in the snow is 70% tires, 30% driveline layout.

Yes, Subaru STIs CAN be great in the snow, unless you're on the factory Potenza 070s. They are basically DOT racing slicks after 20k miles. Thats why most STI owners have 2 sets of wheels, one with 070s, and one with normally Blizzaks or WintersportM3s.

I believe every daily driven Corvette in a climate that sees snow should have an el-cheapo set of wheels with winter tires handy. All-seasons IMO are no option at all, that is just choosing to have crappy traction in both conditions.

That's the point I was trying to make. I have stock GY run craps on chome spokes for the summer, and GY M&S on painted wagon wheels for the winter.

And for all of the people who claim the Vette's torque makes it impossible to drive in the snow - my buddy's Honda Insight will spin it's tires in the snow - here's a hint, the gas pedal is more flexible then being a simple on/off switch. Judicious use of the pedal let's the torque work FOR you.

I know I'll never convince the "Corvette's are horrible in the snow" people, any more then you'll convince me to hang up my keys for the winter. Why am I posting then? - I'm easily bored. ;)

PIP will be fine my me. Thanks for the welcome, I'm picking mine up from the dealership tommorow.

Since our Maryland winter is just about done, with the possibility of MAYBE one more weak snow, I've got till next winter to decide if I'm going to pay roughly $1000 for a second set of wheels for winter, or introduce myself to the concept of a beater-car and buy some equally priced 4x4 pickup/suv.

PS: I had GSD3s on a Cobra, and got NOWHERE in just 1 inch of snow, but when I got a set of KDWS's, they made a world of difference, and they were just crappy all-seasons.

PreacherNutshot said:
And for all of the people who claim the Vette's torque makes it impossible to drive in the snow - here's a hint, the gas pedal is more flexible then being a simple on/off switch. Judicious use of the pedal let's the torque work FOR you. ;)

Preacher - you're 100% correct. But not everyone has figured it out and on any snowy day you can see the results. Then there's that other factor - (and I probably should seek professional help) but I just can't imagine all that sand, salt and grime getting on and under the car.

"on winter meds and doing well"

Remo said:
Preacher - you're 100% correct. But not everyone has figured it out and on any snowy day you can see the results. Then there's that other factor - (and I probably should seek professional help) but I just can't imagine all that sand, salt and grime getting on and under the car.

"on winter meds and doing well"
Even though I like to drive all the time I have to agree with you here Remo, the sand, salt, and general sludge make me cringe as well, especially in a place like CO thats so dry and windy. Those things aside, I'm doing ok out here. We just passed a landmark this weekend. 100 days till graduation, we're at 96 as of today, and with the warmer weather comes spring break and then freedom. My hopes are high, so thanks for asking.

Hows things in my oft-missed, Northeast? I have to say, I'm quite jeallous of your upcoming mod and can't wait to hear how it suits you.

Bioscache2 said:
We just passed a landmark this weekend. 100 days till graduation, we're at 96 as of today, and with the warmer weather comes spring break and then freedom. My hopes are high, so thanks for asking.

Enjoy that last hundred days. A vette is a great way to do it. I had a new '78 during my senior year. Good luck in the real Air Force.

Mike Frey, '79 LCWB

Folks,

I'll be driving the vette from my home in the Northeast to Decatur, IN the weekend of March 18th and 19th. Let's hope I don't end up being the "goat" of this thread.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom