Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

c6 headlights--an option?

H

hooks

Always liked the hidden headlights-- i understand that popups hurt the aerodynamics a little--but exposed lights these days look like a silly face to me-the little dark light looks like an eyeball--kinda goofy i think-just wonder if the general ever considered a sliding door to cover them? You could design the door to lower & raise itself slightly when it needed to retract--never seen this mentioned in this forum--am i the only one who thought of this? Probably not but anyway,--any comments?

The pre-C6 Corvettes are notorious for bad forward lighting. The C6 with its fixed headlights evidentally took care of this. I was not taken with the C6 setup when it first was introduced. The more C6s I see, the better it looks IMHO.

All I can say is you have to drive one at night and you will be sold. Best lighting of ANY Corvette. As far as looks go...well that is all a matter of opinion. Personally I like them. Do they look like a Viper's lights? Maybe but like I said, drive one at night and you will fall in love with them.

hooks,

I understand your idea. The lights would remain fixed and would be covered with a sliding body colored door when not in use. Any andvantage gained in lighting performance would be retained. I like how this sounds. I prefer the hidden lights as well.

hooks said:
Always liked the hidden headlights-- i understand that popups hurt the aerodynamics a little--but exposed lights these days look like a silly face to me-the little dark light looks like an eyeball--kinda goofy i think-just wonder if the general ever considered a sliding door to cover them? You could design the door to lower & raise itself slightly when it needed to retract--never seen this mentioned in this forum--am i the only one who thought of this? Probably not but anyway,--any comments?
GM is trying to remove weight from the corvette,not add weight because weight hurts performance and CAFE

I agree that automakers must remove bulk from their offerings but this must also be weighed (no pun intended) against style and market acceptance. If a super lightweight car is introduced it still must appeal to the target market. General Motors probably didn't take much of a risk with this design and judging from the number of the C6's I see on the road, it isn't hurting sales.

For the fact that a covered headlight would add weight, we will probably never see a hidden style on a factory Vette again. Other lighter weight options like the one mentioned in this thread may have been an advantage over the prior pop-ups but I would guess the current style is also less expensive.

Jeff

Greenie said:
The pre-C6 Corvettes are notorious for bad forward lighting.
By whom? I remember being quite impressed with the large halogens on my '84 when I first got it. Times change; lighting improves.
:w

WhalePirot said:
By whom? I remember being quite impressed with the large halogens on my '84 when I first got it. Times change; lighting improves.
:w

My 1980 headlights lit the road nicely. My C5 on the other hand, leave's a lot to be disired there. Even after installing Sylvania Silver Stars there was very little improvement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom