Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 top still makes noise

H

Hollywood

Has anyone had thier C6 top repaired successfully. I have had mine to be repaired 4 times and it still makes noise. They say the last fix is to fill top with foam. That seems kinda extreme. Has anybody gotten a complete top replacement not just the insert?

Are you talking about the popping and crackling sound?
If so, how did they try to fix it?
Mine does that.

When mine was checked, the foam test shot did not come through; so it's supposed to be 'fixed'. I still get a few pops out of it every now and then when I first start driving it - usually after sitting in the sun all day at work. It stops the pop noises after a half mile or so and is quiet as a mouse after that.

Btw, it was doing that before the recall fix also. It didn't do it all winter but now that warm weather is here, it's doing it again but only after it's been sitting in the sun all day.

?????

Are you talking about the popping and crackling sound?
If so, how did they try to fix it?
Mine does that.
do a search for "c6 targa top noise" on the forum. That will give you a thread with alot of good info. THey have tried to fix my to the point i want a replacement top. I am going to the delar today and plead my case. Good luck with yours

Mine constantly "pops" unless the road is super smooth. Used to only make noise with the temp. change. Now it seems to do it all the time. Can't stand it. :mad

Mine Too

My top creaks and cracks so damn bad, I don't want to drive it anymore.Took a fine looking lady out to dinner and my top started to make the weird noises.I think she thought I was farting. Any way,she rolled the window down and never said a word.I explained to her the problem with the top,but I don't think she bought it.

My top creaks and cracks so damn bad, I don't want to drive it anymore.Took a fine looking lady out to dinner and my top started to make the weird noises.I think she thought I was farting. Any way,she rolled the window down and never said a word.I explained to her the problem with the top,but I don't think she bought it.
yep i know the feeling. I have went through the paces it helped alittle. I am going this weekend to see if i can get a complete replacement. Confidence is low, but i gotta try. Its a bummer i love the car hate the noise. I havent really checked if the 2007 still have the same prob. Good luck with yours.

My car has 5500 miles and the roof just started creaking two weeks ago. I had been ignoring the recall, but decided I had better do it if it is coming loose. The dealer's service manager said I would be liable if I ignored the recall notices and it caused a legal problem. He also said one visit to fix it.
After one visit he said, "Yes it's loose. We'll order parts and schedule your repair"
Now I don't trust him, especially after reading all these stories...
Any suggestions?
Gersh

Gotta Go

I felt the same way didnt want to go but i just couldnt take the noise and of course we are at fault if the top comes off without doing the recall. I dont have any good tips to give other than keep going back untill its fixed or you get a complete new top. Thats what im shooting for. Its fustrating to have such a great car with this BS noise. I hope you get a good fix.

;LOL :W

Hey,give it a shot and let them try to correct the problem.Its better than not doing anything at all.My dealer sent me for a ride with the mechanic and noise with him in the car.BUT,he said,when the car makes the noise,release the catches and then tighten the catches.That will stop the noise.What a solution.Relese the locks ar 60MPH and say good bye to the top.Yuk!!

That's what Foreplay is all about...

WeLLL, that's what you get for not lubing the contact points with, ASTROGLIDE before you picked her up! Instead of looking out the window, she "wood" have adjusted your hinge as you drove.... But NO, you avoided the recall, did not have the lube bottle in the cup holder for all to see.... ( I don't blame her one bit for rolling the window down and looking the other way).

I took the Z06 back to the dealer who promised a fix in one visit, but just diagnosed the loose top and said he would now order parts to fix it...
Anyway, another day in the shop and it is back on the road with no more creaking. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones whose repair is done right the first time. At least now I won't be liable if it does come off (GM seems to be taking a risky approach with this, since somebody could get killed by a flying top).

Now I need to do the 180 MPH test to see how firmly attached it is!
Gersh

Where can I purchase a bottle of Astroglide?I have never heard of this product before.Thanks for the tip. Oh,by the way,I did have the recall done on my car and it still creaks.

Where can I purchase a bottle of Astroglide?I have never heard of this product before.Thanks for the tip. Oh,by the way,I did have the recall done on my car and it still creaks.

Check the personal products section of the pharmacy or supermarket, right next to KY Jelly. (He's right--it is an excellent lubricant.)
Gersh

My car has 5500 miles and the roof just started creaking two weeks ago. I had been ignoring the recall, but decided I had better do it if it is coming loose. The dealer's service manager said I would be liable if I ignored the recall notices and it caused a legal problem. He also said one visit to fix it.
After one visit he said, "Yes it's loose. We'll order parts and schedule your repair"
Now I don't trust him, especially after reading all these stories...
Any suggestions?
Gersh

Well, I did have the recall done, and the creaking stopped for a couple weeks, but now it's baaack!
I don't think I will have anything else done--if there is a problem, it will be GM's liability, since I did my part. Interesting that GM is taking such a casual attitude about a possible fatal defect.
Gersh

Actually, it would be suggested to have them check the fasteners to make sure they were torqued correctly.
There is a possibility that the repair didnt work, but to just let it alone, is just asking for trouble.
Allthebest, c4c5

It appears that the top panel seperation is caused by heat. There 2 different materials that the top are made of. The first one was colored "white" and when it was heated (by sunshine) it would seperate from the adhesive. The second top material (black) does a much better job at holding the adhesive. The white top is FRC and lighter.
The 2nd top (black) is heavier and SMC.
The top material change was made during the 2006MY.

I have the white top, but it still holding. I had the foam job done also. I try to keep the car cool too.

My top is making soooo much noise. Worse than before the repair. I believe that most of the "groaning" is coming from the front latch assy's. I also noticed that after the repair the latches were much more harder to engage. I don't think the noise is a repeated seperation issue. Just where do I look to adj. the latch or fasteners????

I'd be P*ssed!!!!!!!:boogie :boogie :boogie :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom