Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Engine failure

How much does that engine cost to replace it 20,000?

I had a 2014 engine failure due to #8 rod bearing spun at about 4200 miles. replacement cost, $17.5k. This was a z51 car so they had to replace the complete oil system along with the engine.

I cried the blues with the dealer about the numbers matching issue but apparently GM has a solution to that. Then I raised the issue I'd never be able to trust the car again. So we worked out a deal where I got all my money back out of the 2014 and bought a 2015 z51 with 2lt and MRC and PDR and I've been most happy ever since. 31k miles worth of happy to be exact.

Where is that covered under the warranty or lemon law legislation?

Same as so many other things, it wouldn't be covered.

Where or when I worked, a young engineer bought one of the fancy Dodge modern muscle cars. A dealership changed the oil and forgot to put oil in it. The engine died with them driving it on the lot. To make a long story short, after a lengthy period of time; he got a new car.

I bought a new 2016 Corvette Stingray LT1, and soon after experienced transmission issues. . I was told that there was a problem with the transmission flex plate. . A few days later I picked up my car and was told the problem was fixed. A few days went by and as I pulled on to my home street the Automatic transmission would not go out of third gear luckily I was at my driveway when this occurred. As I pulled half way up my driveway the car completed shutoff. I placed it in park and push the start button and started smelling burnt wires. I had it towed back to the dealer and the engine is out of the car and completely torn apart. The transmission, torque tube, are also out of the car. I am then told that it needs a new engine by the service manager. Car has less than 7K miles on it. I asked what is causing the problem and he has no answer for me.

First, THANK YOU for your service. Second, this is heartbreaking and has to be THE worst new Vette disaster I've ever heard. I agree with the guys -- there is no 'win' for you here. So very sorry to see this happen to one of or best...

First, THANK YOU for your service. Second, this is heartbreaking and has to be THE worst new Vette disaster I've ever heard. I agree with the guys -- there is no 'win' for you here. So very sorry to see this happen to one of or best...

Please read the rest of thread. The OP did not conduct himself in a respectful manner or one that reflects the values of his military service.

Contact your state Attorney General. Lemon Laws differ by state. Someone in the office will be able to help you know when to start the process.

Mikey: Actually catbert had the best advice. My wife had issues with a car and a dealer who did nothing. She wrote the state Attorney General. The dealer called her, asked her to please bring the car in, and it was fixed..

As catbert stated lemon laws differ by state. We have 2 residences Georgia and North Carolina..

Georgia:
You'll need to allow the manufacturer or its authorized dealer a reasonable number of attempts to fix your vehicles defect. A reasonable number of attempts is defined as either:
3 attempts for most issues.
1 attempt for defects that could cause serious injury or death.
OR
After being out of service for at least 30 days.

North Carolina:
The law requires manufacturers to repair any defect that impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 2 years OR 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.
In order for your car to be considered a lemon, all of the following must apply:
The issue occurs in a part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, and you are within the warranty period.
You notify the manufacturer about the issue in writing and provide a reasonable period not more than 15 days to fix said issue.
The manufacturer has had 4 attempts to repair the same issue or the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 20 business days or more over a period of 12 months during the warranty period.
The manufacturer's efforts to fix the vehicle are not successful.
Under the lemon law, when your manufacturer is unable to fix the defect, you get to choose either:
A comparable new car.
OR
A refund

Lemon Laws by State - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org

Dead Engine

Sunday 3 weeks ago we went on a 20 mile cruise to lunch, all was fine. On leaving, it sounded like battery was low it barely started. 5 blocks later at a stop sign at a major intersection the engine locked up. Had towed to dealer. This week the engine is coming out. Apparently the crank was out of spec endlplay. Everything from flex wheel to torque converter been replaced over the last year. Not good! Watch out for this and make sure crank endplay is within spec. Died in a major intersection tried to restart smelled smoke and had to use the emergency release. GM is looking at it now. TC, Flexplate was replaced last year. Looks like crankshaft endplay is the culprit. See Bulleting #PIP5248D, has now been updated to include 17's and 18's.

Sunday 3 weeks ago we went on a 20 mile cruise to lunch, all was fine. On leaving, it sounded like battery was low it barely started. 5 blocks later at a stop sign at a major intersection the engine locked up. Had towed to dealer. This week the engine is coming out. Apparently the crank was out of spec endlplay. Everything from flex wheel to torque converter been replaced over the last year. Not good! Watch out for this and make sure crank endplay is within spec. Died in a major intersection tried to restart smelled smoke and had to use the emergency release. GM is looking at it now. TC, Flexplate was replaced last year. Looks like crankshaft endplay is the culprit. See Bulleting #PIP5248D, has now been updated to include 17's and 18's.

That bulletin is located here: 2014 - 2018 Corvette: Service Bulletin: #PIP5248D: Stalling Shudder And/or Hard shifting Into 1st Gear Or Reverse Vibration On launch

A8 casualty

Mine last Friday.

corvette edit-21.jpgcorvette edit-2.jpg

Ewww. That isn't good. Buy, looking on the bright side, maybe it will be fixed like it should have been originally. And then you can drive it.

I had a 2014 engine failure due to #8 rod bearing spun at about 4200 miles. replacement cost, $17.5k. This was a z51 car so they had to replace the complete oil system along with the engine.

I cried the blues with the dealer about the numbers matching issue but apparently GM has a solution to that. Then I raised the issue I'd never be able to trust the car again. So we worked out a deal where I got all my money back out of the 2014 and bought a 2015 z51 with 2lt and MRC and PDR and I've been most happy ever since. 31k miles worth of happy to be exact.
2ltz51mrcpdr
Did it have FBI,deq,doj,CIA,and FEMA too?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom