Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caliper?

pasvorto

I have a 78. Last summer, due to lack of space, it spent its time outside. Since it has a leak, I didn't drive it in the rain. I put a garbage bag over the leak area and a cover over the car. That kept it dry.

When I put it away last fall, I notice a "rubbing" sound coming from the right front. The sound is in synch with the wheels turning. That is, the faster I go, the faster the rub. I have changed all the other calipers but that one.

I am thinking... cast iron sleeves - sat out in the rain - RUST!

Does that sound reasonable? Also, what possible damage can I do if i drive it like that?

This summer, it lives in the garage.

Check your rotors for a black spot that looks like the imprint of the brake pads.
That is usually what happens when the rotors get wet and the pads rust to them. It will cause a lope in the braking feel when the pad goes over the rust spot. Sometimes you can just cross hatch the area with some 320 grit sandpaper to get the spot smoothed out, otherwise turning the rotor on a brake lathe would do it.
If you don't actually have brake fluid leaking out the calipers, and the caliper pistons aren't sticking, you may jut have a pad rub problem. If the calipers are sticking, it will pull to one side when braking.

Interesting. Well, it doesn't pull to one side when braking. I haven't had time to check for a leak yet. It does produce a squeek from that area when I brake. I plan on having a look this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Took the caliper off. Two of the pistons were leaking. No chance I would get away without paying somebody some $$$$.

Don't feel bad...it's always something with our babies.......:upthumbs

And of course it ALWAYS costs money.......

Get her fixed and enjoy her this summer.....!!!!!

I think a 78 still had the four piston Delco- Moraine caliper, I used to change the seals , two on each piston, on my early 70's Vette's. They came w/stainless steel sleeves from the factory, cost back them about $15.00 a corner and wasn't too bad a job, have no clue on the cost today........

Pavorto, The caliper itself is cast, but internally, the bores are stainless sleeved with a loose fitting piston........

That's cool. The new caliper was $91. Now, to convince the wife to come out and pump the brakes while I bleed them...

I think a 78 still had the four piston Delco- Moraine caliper, I used to change the seals , two on each piston, on my early 70's Vette's. They came w/stainless steel sleeves from the factory, cost back them about $15.00 a corner and wasn't too bad a job, have no clue on the cost today........

Nope, no '65-'82 Corvette caliper ever came from the factory with stainless sleeves; they were just machined cast iron. All stainless-sleeved calipers came from aftermarket rebuilders.

:beer

"... Now, to convince the wife to come out and pump the brakes while I bleed them..."

Brake bleeding has always been a PIA to me! Then I installed Russell "speed bleeders" - they allow a one-man operation because they have a small ball bearing contained inside that prevents air from returning into the system.

They work great... brakes tightened right up... and bled the entire system by myself!

Well, my saga continues....
Put on a new caliper. Noise still there. Hmmm...

Had the rotor turned. There ya go. Nope. Noise still there...

There is nothing else that moves up there. Don't bearings "chirp"? This definitely sounds like a rubbing sound. I can't see it. I hate to have to resort to it...But, I may take it to the pros. We are expecting rain for the next few days. Maybe I will think of something then.

Wheel bearings can "Chirp, Grind, Rumble, Bang, or Squeel" depending on how bad they are.
The good news is that they are real easy to check.
Jack it up. Pop the grease cup, spin the wheel, shake it side to side und up and down.
Stop, look, and listen.

I did grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and moved it. No movement. I think the bearings are OK. I was thinking that maybe the dust shield got bent somehow. But then, it would make a more 'constant' noise. I am coming back to warped rotor, but turning the rotor should have uncovered that. So, maybe not. I don't know. It makes my brain hurt.

Maybe I just need to drive it and see if there is something that will eventually go away (and hopefully not pass me on the highway).

Well, I had to run up to the dealership for something else, so I took the Vette. I had the dude in the service area take it for a spin. He loved it! He also said that the noise, to him, sounded like it was coming from the right rear and not the right front! Can this get any curiouser?

Brake bleeding has always been a PIA to me! Then I installed Russell "speed bleeders" - they allow a one-man operation because they have a small ball bearing contained inside that prevents air from returning into the system.

They work great... brakes tightened right up... and bled the entire system by myself!
is this something new where you get them

Rear Brake Noise

Well, I had to run up to the dealership for something else, so I took the Vette. I had the dude in the service area take it for a spin. He loved it! He also said that the noise, to him, sounded like it was coming from the right rear and not the right front! Can this get any curiouser?

My 81 had a rubbing noise from rear wheel area, it turned out to be the parking brake springs that often will move and rub against the moving parts of the drum / wheel assy. The springs will in time wear through and brake, causing the parking brake shoes to drag. My problem started when the car was new and would come and go (when spring wore through), the dealer told me that it was an manufacturing / design problem I would have live with. It was there for years, until I started to get my tires and brake service done at Allen Tie Co. (local Socal), I haven't had the noise since.
The parking brake service is tricking since every thing is located behind the axle hub and long needle nose pliers have work through an access hole in the hub.

A job better done by a pro, money well spent.

Good Luck! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom