Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway Racing Cars.....Corvettes and Prototypes..

• Thread starter Thread starter critt99
  • Start date Start date
It's just something about that C7 that has a timeless desgin to it. It's looks beautiful even when compared to today's exotic models. Was there a lack of public demand that resulted in terminating the program. Has anyone seen any preliminary sketches for the C6. Take care fellas........

Johnny

HuggerC8 said:
It's just something about that C7 that has a timeless desgin to it. It's looks beautiful even when compared to today's exotic models. Was there a lack of public demand that resulted in terminating the program. Has anyone seen any preliminary sketches for the C6. Take care fellas........

Johnny

No lack of public demand for the C7 - rather, it was the changes in rules that kept the car from running in the (race) series further :(

...in the meantime -

Nurburgring-1997-06-29-050.jpg

Zolder-1993-05-30-021.jpg

Dijon-1998-07-12f-019.jpg

I wasn't aware that they suddently changed the series rules. Do you know what disqualified them? So in actuality it didn't have no official race debut?

The centered #21 vehicle looks hot in those smoke rims.

Johnny

Too good...that was the biggest problem..

The unofficial short version is that Callaway Competition was within the "rules", but the officials were not happy about may things on the C7R. They were asked to make several changes to the car most of which were too significant to make as designed in the first C7R-001. For example, the bonnet of the car functioned as a downforce device...this is ok. However, lift off the hood and there was another "hidden wing" underneath the hood. the air was led in under the hood and out near the windscreen. In essence, the entire front of the car acted as a wing. They were unhappy about the rear wing. I cannot remember if it was the curve shape or not, but it had to be changed. The list goes on. The second car C7R-002 was very similar in design, but had significant under-the-skin changes. The C7R-002 did see action on the track such as 24 Hours of Daytona etc...

What happened at Le Mans, was, the ACO changed the GT rules for the following year and the changes required to compete are neither economical or practical.

FYI: here is last weekends progress on the 1/18th LM...almost done...This one is going to my friend Ernst...I owe him one.
P1010177.jpg

Sharp looking model Mike!

Very nice you always have the inside info on Callaway racing. Gives us enough background info to compleet the picture! :upthumbs

Groeten Peter.

C6 Honker Intakes for $1.29.....They might not fit your C6..

First from the mold for the 1/18th C6/Z06 Project....more to follow..
P5171095.jpg

P5151087.jpg

Christmas in South Texas...I have to go home and mow the grass!!

Callaway’s in Scale
I promise that I will finish one of these things before I die.

The rumor is true, the C6 is directly related to the C7R. It is rumored that a C7R was seen running around with a mass good look’n GTO and look what happened!
P5251133.jpg

P5251138.jpg

Some say that racing improves the breed…….nuff said.
P5251165.jpg

Coming soon to a forum near you…I have finally started working on a production Aerobody trans-kit for 1/18th scale….

Hello Callaway Friends...hope all are well

Been working on projects allot. Found this cool Italian mag with a nice spread on the LM back in 96...miss those racing Callaway's
lasfida.jpg

Hello Callaway Friends...hope all are well

Been working on projects allot. Found this cool Italian mag with a nice spread on the LM back in 96...miss those racing Callaway's
lasfida.jpg

First off, critt99, you are AMAZING. I have never seen anyone make such high quality prototypes. Are you creating your own molds? How do you have the skills/technology to do this type of work? If you ever make a C8 model, and I'm not around, save my email address (speedbbb@aol.com). If I ever get around to having a real C8 made, I'd love to have a model of it :).

Other than that, I have a picture of a C8 race car, sorry, but this is the best pic I have:
callawayc8racecar.jpg

If someone has better or more pics of this car, let me know. Actually, let me know if you have ANY C8 pictures that aren't floating around google's image search or webshots...

Have been thinking about it.

I have tossed the idea with Hugger, but have not done anything. Can you find a 1/18th scale C8...that is the place to start.

I don't believe there is one... however there IS a 1/12 scale Camaro, so that's pretty big. Did you not need to do any of the sculpting on your models? I thought you handmade much of them.

To answer your questions, I am an orthodontist, thus I have been working with dental materials for over 20 years. In dentistry we cast metal, sculpt, create all kinds of stuff and I have been building models all my life for fun. I make full use of a wide variety of dental materials for my models. The C7R, I did create from nothing. I started with a blob of modeling clay and 3 years later I have a curbside model (no engine of interior). I have put it on the back burner for now, because of some other commitments. I will make a mold and cast in resin...eventually it will have an engine and interior, but that may be years. The C4 LM started 2 years ago. I used the 1/18th GS 1996 as the base. With clay I formed the LM hood and the side skirts. With 3m dental impression material, I made forms and cast them in the same resin I make your retainers with. The interesting thing was finding the best way to bond catalysed resin to the cast metal. Autobody filler binds to both of them, it was the only thing I could find that worked. I grew up in the body shop and have been painting cars all of my life...thus this is really easy for me to do. The most difficult thing to fabricate is wheels. I did some RW wheels from scratch, but I was never happy with them. By chance I saw some Ford SVT wheels that are identical except for the center section. Filled it in and shazam..I have 5 LM's in progress. I am building one of each of the LM's and hope to have them on display this summer. ( that maybe wishful thinking though) I have been making a Callaway Z06R GT3, the first one is almost done and #2 is in progress. #1 goes to my buddy Ernst who built it and #2 goes to the bank roll for my projects ( a Callaway owner with very close ties to the Big Man). My goal one day is to make every model Callaway ever built. I have begun the aerobody prototype, but having some trouble with a few things. This is a tall order I know, but I am still young and once you have made the first one, the next is much faster. I am sorry if I have bored you too much. I have been facinated with the Callaway since I saw my first one in 1987. Never owner one, don't know if I ever will. There is only one Callaway I have ever wanted, but it is out of reach for now.

Wow, very impressive. It makes perfect sense now how you have the skill and materials to do this type of thing. I did custom action figures for several years in the past, and have decent sculpting skills, but I've never been successful at molding and casting particularly.

Speaking of wheels, if you ever need the bridgestone run-flat wheels for a model, I believe the Corvette Sting Ray III model has very similar wheels. (1st pic is model, 2nd pic is real car)
Gm.jpg
http://modeler.pe.kr/gallery/shjo/Gm.jpg
bentley_gcmc_future.jpg

You are definitely inspiring me. If I come across a Camaro model kit, I'm going to be unpacking my epoxy putty and x-acto knives and starting a C8.:)

Those look more accurate for sure, especially the number of lug nuts.

Best look'n "moose" I have ever seen....

Does anyone know where that name came from?
026a.jpg

critt99 said:
Does anyone know where that name came from?
026a.jpg

Ok Mike I give up!
Where did the name come from?
All I know is, that is what the Callaway LM's were called in Europe.
Big John.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom